Picking Profs GarniT Academics 4 07-08-2008 11:51 AM
Picking a Major and Minor lorend Academics 37 05-30-2008 04:50 PM

Picking Your Major

Old 10-25-2008 at 02:46 PM   #1
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Picking Your Major
Hey I have a question about picking your major. On registrar, it says that for the programs I am interested in, the lowest average is 6.0. I'm just wondering, if that is it or if the lowest mark depends on the applicants... and also what a good average would be.... what in your experience is a realistic minimum average to get into a major. Also what happens if you get rejected from everything? I am just asking because 6.0 seems kind of low.
One program I am interested in is bio chem does anyone know how competitive it is to get into that? and how many spots are available?

Also, for some courses, it says that Physics 1B03 should be completed by the end of level 2. If someone had the same average as me but had 1B03 and I did not, would they be more likely to be accepted or is there no difference?

Thanks

Last edited by sinthusized : 10-25-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-25-2008 at 03:55 PM   #2
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Whatever the registrar's office says is the minimum requirement then that is it. I don't know what you mean by a 'realistic minimum average for a major', it's either you make the cut or you don't. If you don't you can keep trying to get into it the following year or you can switch up your game plan, that part is up to you.

As for the other questions abour BioChem, I wouldn't know. How many seats there are probably varies per year so an advisor would be best to ask. Towards the end of 2nd semester the various faculties will do workshops on how to apply for majors, what those majors entail, etc etc. Keep on top of your Mac Mail cause that's how you'll be notified of them.

Old 10-25-2008 at 07:40 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
I am just asking because 6.0 seems kind of low.
It's not as low as you think...a lot of students struggle to get an overall first year average that high.

Also, that's typically your overall average...in many programs you will need a higher average in certain courses (ie the prerequisites for year two programs), but a lower CA

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement