MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's your Guilty Pleasure? kokosas General Discussion 61 08-30-2008 11:40 AM

Pleasure as Purpose or No?

Old 11-06-2010 at 12:02 AM   #16
NowHere

Liked: 14 Times

I challenge anyone to find a thread of minimum twenty posts of serious discussion.
Old 11-06-2010 at 12:08 AM   #17
LukeEngineer

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
My only purpose in life is to acheive level 200 in Maplestory.
Continue on, Great One.
Old 11-06-2010 at 01:08 AM   #18
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
Dude, ih8u.

Stop stealing my life goal.
Old 11-06-2010 at 02:07 AM   #19
Parminder S
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
We should achieve this together.
Old 11-06-2010 at 05:00 AM   #20
Mazer

Liked: 60 Times

ViktorVaughn likes this.
Old 11-06-2010 at 09:25 AM   #21
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parminder S View Post
We should achieve this together.
We should. Cept, your 14x :( YOu should catch up first.

But on a more related note:
My view on life? Theres not much wrong with it I guess. I guess the one thing I hate is just having to live up to other people's expectations.

Purpose? Who knows, Who cares. Im a pretty firm believer in destiny.

Whats wrong with bringing kids into this world? Just because you see this world as dying and cold doesn't mean others do to.
Old 11-06-2010 at 09:38 AM   #22
NowHere

Quote:
Whats wrong with bringing kids into this world? Just because you see this world as dying and cold doesn't mean others do to.
Interesting quote from Neve Campbell:

“I’m really not sure about having kids. Maybe I’ll shift my view in a couple of years,” she says. “People say things like, ‘You could have the child who makes a big difference to the planet, but we’re not talking about changes happening to the planet in 50 years. It’s more likely to be 20 years and we’re going to be in a mess. Part of me thinks it is not necessarily fair to bring kids into a world like that. It seems selfish to and it is something I have struggled with for the past few years.”
Old 11-06-2010 at 09:44 AM   #23
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowHere View Post
Interesting quote from Neve Campbell:

“I’m really not sure about having kids. Maybe I’ll shift my view in a couple of years,” she says. “People say things like, ‘You could have the child who makes a big difference to the planet, but we’re not talking about changes happening to the planet in 50 years. It’s more likely to be 20 years and we’re going to be in a mess. Part of me thinks it is not necessarily fair to bring kids into a world like that. It seems selfish to and it is something I have struggled with for the past few years.”
If people are so worriedabout bringing kids into this world cause of that, then they should take the initiative to make it a better place -.-

So many complainers out there, not enough doers.

IMO, thats just a bs excuse.
Old 11-06-2010 at 09:48 AM   #24
NowHere

Quote:
If people are so worriedabout bringing kids into this world cause of that, then they should take the initiative to make it a better place -.-

So many complainers out there, not enough doers.

IMO, thats just a bs excuse.
Are you saying we can fix the world's problems?
Old 11-06-2010 at 10:05 AM   #25
NowHere

After some perusing related discussions, I came upon this post by someone else which I thought hit the notes best:

Re: Is having children a selfish act?
Having children is selfish and inconsiderate. Climate change will drastically increase in the next few decades, scientists don't believe that we will survive the next 100 years if we continue to rely on fossil fuels (coal, gas and oil), cause massive deforestation and domesticate ruminants for food and clothing (the methane that these non-human animals produce is responsible for around 18% of all green house gas emissions, not to mention the amount of arable land and water needed to grow crops just to fatten them up). We would need 3 more Earths to sustain us if we did, it would be even worse if everyone in the world lived like people in developed countries do.

This is an issue that I've read alot about and I cannot do it justice in only a few paragraphs, the next few decades will be like something out of a science fiction novel, floods, drought, increased disease etc. We have 10 years to make a serious difference and even if we were wiped off the face of the planet today, the gge's that we're already responsible for will negatively impact the eco-system for another 1000 years. Considering that the average American child has a carbon footprint of 9441 tonnes, yes, it's extremely selfish to bring more children into an already overpopulated world..

In response to, "Therefore, without us, while the planet may eventually be a cleaner place, it will lack meaning":
The Earth will always have 'meaning' for other sentient animals. Everything that distinguishes us from other animals (music, art, symbolic communication etc.) is only relevant or impressive to us. All sentient beings value their lives, we all want to avoid suffering and to experience pleasure or happiness and we are all basically the same in this respect. I'm not necessarily for full-blown human extinction but we should definitely avoid reproducing for the next 30-35 years. After that, it should be 'one or none', until we can lower our population to less than one billion. We're morally obligated to improve the quality of life for existing humans, not to create more humans. Why create more children considering how many already existing orphans need good homes?

Another thing I'd like to refute is the idea that we are programmed to reproduce or that doing so is morally acceptable just because it's "natural". As material beings, everything we do is "natural", including rape, homicide, war etc., the 'appeal to nature' argument is a fallacy and overly selective, considering that everyone who's posted in this forum most likely lives in an artificially heated or air conditioned home, owns a computer, buys their food instead of hunting-gathering it etc. Secondly, we are 'programmed' to want sex, not to want to procreate, procreation is just a consequence of sex. We learn that we are 'supposed' to have children who will pass on our genes, carry on the family name etc. We have an innate desire to be altruitic and nurturing but we tend to reserve it for ingroup members, we learn that biological offspring are 'in-group' in a way that non-genetic offspring cannot be but you wouldn't instinctually know who was genetically related to you if you didn't acquire that information at some point in your life. I don't expect most people to take my argument seriously but it's a shame because we could tackle both climate change and poverty if people could put their selfish, culturally conditioned desire to reproduce aside and look at the big picture.
Old 11-06-2010 at 10:08 AM   #26
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Are you saying we can fix the world's problems?

I think he's saying you can fix your world's problems. Taking on the entire globe and its atrocities is a huge feat for any person, and the few that do it give it their all. their entire lives revolved around the cause, which is something not everyone can do. The child you bear will know the world as you show him/her till they are old enough to realize things on their own. By trying to improve things on a scale that best fits your capabilities, all while acknowledging that not every problem can be solved (right away, or sometimes, ever), equips your child with a realistic view. You would also hope that he/she picks up on your efforts to make the world (on whatever scale) better and does the same when they are able to.

Old 11-06-2010 at 11:03 AM   #27
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

Quote:
Is it right to bring kids into this dying and cold world?
dying and cold world? really? the world is actually a pretty nice place, or well, at the very least it's not "dying and cold"
Old 11-06-2010 at 11:07 AM   #28
NowHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo92 View Post
dying and cold world? really? the world is actually a pretty nice place, or well, at the very least it's not "dying and cold"
Please respond to more recent discussion if you wish to do so.
Old 11-06-2010 at 11:36 AM   #29
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

NowHere: Why don't you ever answer your own questions? I think people would be far less annoyed with you if you actually participated in these discussions more.

As for the world being "cold and dying," people have thought that for thousands of years. It's nothing new, and that's not going to stop me from having kids.
Old 11-06-2010 at 11:42 AM   #30
NowHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienSummer View Post
NowHere: Why don't you ever answer your own questions? I think people would be far less annoyed with you if you actually participated in these discussions more.

As for the world being "cold and dying," people have thought that for thousands of years. It's nothing new, and that's not going to stop me from having kids.
I think questions stretch farther than answers can but I believe I do participate in these discussions.