Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's your Guilty Pleasure? kokosas General Discussion 61 08-30-2008 11:40 AM

Pleasure as Purpose or No?

Old 11-06-2010 at 12:24 PM   #61
NowHere

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienSummer View Post
They had no effect on me, I haven't seen anyone else consider any of your ideas and you're not saying anything original. So what exactly are you doing?
Perhaps the effects are not visible.
Old 11-06-2010 at 12:25 PM   #62
NowHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
Do you believe the world serves any purpose other than to sustain life? In the end the world is just a really nice rock that serves the function of sustaining life. Do you believe your chair benefits from you sitting on it? Not really, but at least it's fulfilling its purpose.
Are humans helping in the sustenance of life on this earth?
Old 11-06-2010 at 12:26 PM   #63
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowHere View Post
Perhaps the effects are not visible.
Any possible effect wouldn't be from you because nothing you've said is original.
Old 11-06-2010 at 12:27 PM   #64
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:
If death is not suffering then what is mourning's purpose?
Every living thing dies. Of course mourning comes with it, but it isn't suffering. One may suffer before dying, one may not, but in the end everything dies. And there isn't anything you can do about it.

Mourning, on the other hand, is manipulatable. Mourning, in death, is just one's reaction to the loss of someone dear to them. It is natural (usually), but you can either go on living your life like there's no meaning after that person dies; or you can move on knowing that you don't get any benefit from mourning, and like Aelya said, try to make your world a better place.

In Chiodos's always oh-so-eloquent words, life is a perception of your own reality. I know you can't make you life oh-so-dandy even if you're in a hell hole, but you can at least convince yourself that there's a way out of the hole, and it's a way worth fighting for. Just one situation, but the metaphor is transferrable. Think of the fishbowl effect. Goldfish usually have a distorted view of reality due to the shape of their fishbowl. We all see life through a lens. Change the shape of your lens and you change your paradigm. Simple.

With regard to the original post, I think to find one's purpose, one must know his/her place in the world. At at least have an idea about it. Know your identity, and don't try and warp it to other's likings because of pressure. Be strong. Personally, I'm no where near that stage. Even so, I think I can answer parts of your question.

To be honest, this is a very difficult question, and many people will respond differently. You shouldn't bash people for their opinions, or go on to interrogate them on their opinions (I noticed you did that) in hope of them coming to a realization, your realization. In addition, it's a very touchy topic, because quite often it may lead to one's religious view. I urge everyone to show some respect in this thread. And I'm pointing at you NowHere. You've been disrespecting so many people's opinions.

And as a result, I'll try to keep religion out of my reasoning.

Quote:
What is your view on life?
What is our purpose here? Pleasure?
I do not think that we've been given life to have fun-and-games and do whatever we want. Life is too valuable for that. And quite often—and what we witness today is proof of it—it leads to us creating a despaired future. The human 'I want so I'll take that regardless of the consequences' disposition has caused many of the environmental, social, and global issues that are predominant in today's world. I could go one for pages about what they are, but that wouldn't get us anywhere now would it? So let's move on.

Quote:
To make the world a better place?
I think every human being has an obligation, in whatever way he/she can, to attempt to make the world a better place. Success or failure is insignificant so long as the necessary effort is put in. Actions are by intentions, and everyone will get what he/she intended. Again, it comes back down to paradigms. What's the shape of your lens? Obviously you can't change the world. But if you convince at least one other person that there is a reason to put in the effort, slowly thing will change. Even if it isn't the environment that changes—if it's only human mentality that changes—that's change enough for me.

Now that doesn't mean, in the area of environmental issues, that everyone has to jump onto the 'go green' bandwagon. Let's be realistic. That's a marketing strategy. If every family in North America went green (in terms of cars, recycling, etc) we won't be able to make that significant a difference. It's the factories and industries that are releasing 99% (made up stat, not true) of emissions. You have to change the big guys to really make a visible difference. But, we can start small can't we?

Quote:
Is it right to bring kids into this dying and cold world?
It's not up to you to decide if we should discontinue the multiplication of the human race. That's speciocide. Yes, it may be selfish to bring them into a world that's going pretty bad pretty fast. But it's even more selfish to rob them of a future. A future that could involve change. You may think hope is slim, but it's still reason enough. You can't just decide that we've made the world a terrible place so we should stop reproducing. We've already taken over 40 species from the face of the Earth due to our 'I want so I'll take regardless of the consequences' mentality. Don't add another to the list.

We're the only species that can make a difference. Positive or negative, we're the only one's with the power. And after what we've done, we owe the planet that. We owe everything on the planet that. We can't just make a mess and drop everything and run, and expect the planet to slowly rejuvenate itself. It's possible, and it very well may happen (and may be the best means of getting that to happen), but it's not up to us to come to that ultimatum.

So until then fellow MI's, let's have sex!

Last edited by SilentWalker : 11-06-2010 at 12:49 PM.

AelyaS likes this.
Old 11-06-2010 at 12:27 PM   #65
NowHere

Quote:
Any possible effect wouldn't be from you because nothing you've said is original.
Does original still exist shakespeare?
Old 11-06-2010 at 12:29 PM   #66
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

Quote:
Does original still exist shakespeare?
Seriously? That's all you've got?

What you're telling me is you're doing nothing and aren't worth listening to.
Old 11-06-2010 at 12:31 PM   #67
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

This thread is actually so pathetic, lmao.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-06-2010 at 12:31 PM   #68
NowHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
You shouldn't bash people for their opinions, or go on to interrogate them on their opinions (I noticed you did that) in hope of them coming to a realization, your realization.
I'm just somebody asking tough questions. Nobody is forcing anyone to actually pay me any attention.
Old 11-06-2010 at 12:32 PM   #69
NowHere

Quote:
Seriously? That's all you've got?

What you're telling me is you're doing nothing and aren't worth listening to.
What I am referring to is shakespeare's content was not original.
Old 11-06-2010 at 12:32 PM   #70
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:
I'm just somebody asking tough questions. Nobody is forcing anyone to actually pay me any attention.
Dude shut the fcukk up.

hehe...see what I did there?
Old 11-06-2010 at 12:32 PM   #71
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Are humans helping in the sustenance of life on this earth?
At the moment, not really. But by the time we realized that we were hurting the planet it was kind of already pretty late. That's why future action towards reducing population and reducing emissions is vital. Like I said earlier 2 generations of a 1 child policy = problem solved.

And to elaborate on the girls find you irritating. I just went back 3 pages in the thread and not once have you answered a question posed at you and always answered with a short, non- thought provoking question. the following is proper debate format

Original poster: "[question for discussion]"

Subsequent poster: "[answers question][adds question /food for thought]"

repeat as necessary.

By failing to actually answer any question posed towards you you fail to really be part of the conversation. please make an effort to at least answer questions posed at you to express your own point of view before posing a question. If I wanted my questions answered with questions I'd log on MSN and debate things with Smarterchild.

AelyaS likes this.
Old 11-06-2010 at 12:34 PM   #72
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
So, what's delusion like?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-06-2010 at 12:34 PM   #73
NowHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
At the moment, not really. But by the time we realized that we were hurting the planet it was kind of already pretty late. That's why future action towards reducing population and reducing emissions is vital. Like I said earlier 2 generations of a 1 child policy = problem solved.

And to elaborate on the girls find you irritating. I just went back 3 pages in the thread and not once have you answered a question posed at you and always answered with a short, non- thought provoking question. the following is proper debate format

Original poster: "[question for discussion]"

repeat as necessary.

By failing to actually answer any question posed towards you you fail to really be part of the conversation. please make an effort to at least answer questions posed at you to express your own point of view before posing a question. If I wanted my questions answered with questions I'd log on MSN and debate things with Smarterchild.
Who cares what I think anyway?
Old 11-06-2010 at 12:35 PM   #74
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

the purpose of life is to eat brownies, it's beyond me how you guys have blabbered on for 5 pages without so much as mentioning that...

REPLEKIA/. says thanks to waldo92 for this post.
Old 11-06-2010 at 12:35 PM   #75
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Who cares what I think anyway?
everyone getting on your case about not posting your opinions on a topic you started, that's who.