MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Is anyone dropping Poli Sci? siddiquo First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-13-2010 08:05 PM
Math 2X03/2XX3 mbilalk90 Academics 8 07-31-2010 10:00 AM
need help!! poli-sci 2o06 twilight Academics 0 06-19-2010 08:53 PM
POLY SCI 2I03 or 2XX3? jsovran19 Academics 1 06-16-2010 08:57 PM
Could I get by in Political Science 2XX3 without having taken 1G06? Ryan V Academics 2 07-27-2009 02:21 PM

Poli Sci 2XX3

Poli Sci 2XX3
Third World Politics
Published by lorend
06-25-2008
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Author review
Overall Rating
70%70%70%
Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
60%60%60%
Average 75%
Poli Sci 2XX3

I took this class in the second semester of my first year (2004-2005)...and kind of screwed myself over because I wasn't taking Pol Sci 1G06 concurrently.

I had Dr. Gailegeous (sp) who was a really good prof. At times I felt he repeated himself, but he told some awesome stories about his life (which was interesting to say the least).

We had a midterm, a term paper (that was composed of an outline, intro paragraph, and a draft), tutorial participation and a final.

The midterm was really hard. The class average was 60% or so. I found the final much easier, however.

manaya says thanks to lorend for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Poli Sci 2XX3!

Old 08-22-2008 at 02:06 AM   #2
shaha22

Liked: 0 Times
i took this class in 2007 and as much as i agree with lorend i thought this class was AMAZING! the professor is extremely influential and dedicated to the topics that are discussed in class. its the kind of class that you would hate to miss. most students just went to hear him speak (and by that i mean EVERY single seat in the class room was full!). he's extremely helpful and approachable. its hard to understand him at first because of his accent but after attending 1 or 2 classes you can understand him quite easily. the breakdown for the class was a midterm, paper and exam. all of which werent too bad.

manaya says thanks to shaha22 for this post.
Old 09-09-2011 at 07:27 PM   #3
saleemf

Liked: 1 Time
this class is awesome now with prof dion! i recommend it!
Old 09-10-2012 at 08:58 AM   #4
lifesci09

Liked: 2 Times
I took this class with Dion and i LOVED it. hands down one of my fav courses in my four years. I got a 12 with not that much work since the information was so interesting it was easy to do the readings which were not that much just a few articles on avenue. would def recommend
Old 12-27-2015 at 06:25 PM   #5
Soccergirl96

Liked: 0 Times
I took this class with Dr. Galleguillos in the Fall 2015 term. My overall mark was a B, which I think was on the higher end when compared to the class average. The assignments included a research paper (+ outline that was handed in a few weeks earlier), a midterm, a final exam, and tutorial participation. The course was reading- and writing-heavy.

The course content was extremely interesting and eye-opening. Dr. Galleguillos offered a critical and progressive viewpoint on the development and politics of the developing world. He is an extremely interesting professor and told us many stories and personal accounts. The problem, however, is that he doesn't follow the assigned textbook readings (he even admits to contradicting some of the info in the textbook) and the tutorials are based on the textbook readings. This made the tutorials seem like a totally different class than the lectures. I found that this was a popular complaint among fellow students in the class.

As well, his lectures often weren't well-structured and could be difficult to follow. He also moves through the content veeeeery slowly. For those reasons, very few people were coming to class by the end of the semester (which I would recommend against - the final exam was largely based off class discussions).

With that said, I would give this course an 8/10. I found the content to be extremely interesting and once you get into the swing of things, it becomes easier to follow Dr. Galleguillos' train of thought. You have to be a good reader and essay writer for this class. Being good at taking quality notes will help, too, as Dr. Galleguillos talks a lot and not all of it is necessary information as he inputs a lot of personal opinions/stories. I would highly recommend buying the textbook, too.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search