MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poli Sci 2XX3 lorend 2nd Year Course Reviews 4 12-27-2015 06:25 PM
Did anyone take Econ 2X03 before?? shellsmile Academics 19 07-18-2010 04:21 PM
POLY SCI 2I03 or 2XX3? jsovran19 Academics 1 06-16-2010 08:57 PM
Econ 2x03 bnixon10 General Discussion 3 08-25-2009 02:03 PM
Could I get by in Political Science 2XX3 without having taken 1G06? Ryan V Academics 2 07-27-2009 02:21 PM

Math 2X03/2XX3

Old 07-30-2010 at 06:14 PM   #1
mbilalk90

Liked: 0 Times

Math 2X03/2XX3
I am planning to take Math 2X03 and 2XX3 and was unable to find much information regarding these courses. Can someone familiar with these courses tell me which textbook is used for them and the chapters covered in each course. Also, what is the difficulty level of these courses? I know difficulty of a course is very subjected, but still, how many people generally find these courses easy/difficult.

Can someone please post the course outline for these courses as well if they have it? Thanks!
Old 07-30-2010 at 06:29 PM   #2
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbilalk90 View Post
I am planning to take Math 2X03 and 2XX3 and was unable to find much information regarding these courses. Can someone familiar with these courses tell me which textbook is used for them and the chapters covered in each course. Also, what is the difficulty level of these courses? I know difficulty of a course is very subjected, but still, how many people generally find these courses easy/difficult.

Can someone please post the course outline for these courses as well if they have it? Thanks!

Seeing as youre in ECE, this is likely the newer version of 2P04/2Q04, which is the ece/eng phys version (harder) of the old 2m03/2mm3 (aka 2m6). Whew! Ok so knowing that maybe you can find more info?

It's just stupid hard math. :/
Old 07-30-2010 at 07:11 PM   #3
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
Seeing as youre in ECE, this is likely the newer version of 2P04/2Q04, which is the ece/eng phys version (harder) of the old 2m03/2mm3 (aka 2m6). Whew! Ok so knowing that maybe you can find more info?

It's just stupid hard math. :/
I'm pretty sure it's a straight math course. Math 2Z03/2ZZ3 is the new 2nd year math, and it covers what 2P04/2Q04 were. Going by the course calendar, 2X/2XX are... way different. We covered nothing on Taylor series and what not; it was just differential equations + Laplace (2Z) and vector calc (2ZZ).

As for course info, I would Google the course and see if a prof's name comes up. Or skim through the Math Department's page, checking previous courses of profs. Generally, their pages remain up after the course is done.

Old 07-30-2010 at 07:43 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Yeah, 2X03/2XX3 are straight math courses, not engineering math. 2Z03/2ZZ3 are the engineering maths, and you cannot take 2X03 if you've taken 2ZZ3.

This is what looks like the 2010 course website for 2X03: http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/courses/...ou rse_id=262

It's not going to help you much, since there's very little info on it, but it might be a starting point to see if any older pages still exist.
Old 07-30-2010 at 10:36 PM   #5
mbilalk90

I am thinking of doing a minor in Math so that's why I am interested in taking 2X03/2XX3. Engineering Math (2Z03 and 2ZZ3) don't have these two courses as their antirequisites. So therefore, I should be able to take these course along with Engineering Math courses.

I did google the course, but I couldn't find any prof's website. All I found was the McMaster website for this course which basically states the same information that's on the undergraduate course calendar. So that's why I was wondering if someone who has already taken these courses or know about these courses can post the name of the book/s used in these course along with a course outline.
Old 07-30-2010 at 10:52 PM   #6
hmmmcurious

Liked: 9 Times

It's basically like math 2a03, it's vector calculus.
You'll learn about double integrals, line integrals, surface integrals, green's theorem, div, grad, curl, etc. etc.

When I took it, it wasn't too much harder than MATH 1aa3.
Old 07-30-2010 at 11:24 PM   #7
mbilalk90

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmmcurious View Post
It's basically like math 2a03, it's vector calculus.
You'll learn about double integrals, line integrals, surface integrals, green's theorem, div, grad, curl, etc. etc.

When I took it, it wasn't too much harder than MATH 1aa3.
Which book did you guys use?
Old 07-31-2010 at 09:57 AM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
I am thinking of doing a minor in Math so that's why I am interested in taking 2X03/2XX3. Engineering Math (2Z03 and 2ZZ3) don't have these two courses as their antirequisites. So therefore, I should be able to take these course along with Engineering Math courses.

I did google the course, but I couldn't find any prof's website. All I found was the McMaster website for this course which basically states the same information that's on the undergraduate course calendar. So that's why I was wondering if someone who has already taken these courses or know about these courses can post the name of the book/s used in these course along with a course outline.
Double check to make sure you can take 2X03/2XX3 with 2Z03/2ZZ3, since in the course calendar for 2X03 it says it's normally not open to students with credit in 2ZZ3. If you're taking them at the same time, you won't already have credit in 2ZZ3, but check just to make sure you'll end up being allowed to take 2ZZ3 and that both sets of courses will count towards your degree.
Old 07-31-2010 at 10:00 AM   #9
hmmmcurious

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Which book did you guys use?
I took it 2 years ago, we used this:
http://www.amazon.com/Vector-Calculu.../dp/0471725692

I believe in recent years they have gone by:
http://www.amazon.com/Div-Grad-Curl-... sr=1-1-spell

and

http://www.amazon.com/Vector-Calculu...88418& sr=1-1