MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Welcome Week Starting Tomorrow! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-03-2010 09:29 PM
Starting A Club Cassanova Clubs & Groups 5 03-28-2010 05:08 PM
Starting science 1A00? twitterbird Academics 17 08-03-2009 03:55 PM
Starting in January MrSmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-26-2009 01:57 PM
First Year: Engineering 1 fall '09 xxsumz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 06-23-2009 07:06 PM

POLL: For those who are starting first year in fall '09...

Old 06-02-2009 at 04:20 PM   #46
minikit99

Liked: 0 Times

1) I will be studying Business
2)I will be living nearby, so residence is a no-go for me
3) extremely excited to start
Old 06-02-2009 at 10:02 PM   #47
choihonlam

Liked: 6 Times

1. Medical Radiation Sciences
2. Rez (hope les princes)
3. wished Uni started now lol
Old 06-02-2009 at 10:31 PM   #48
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by choihonlam View Post
1. Medical Radiation Sciences
There were about three of you total last year during welcome week, lol.
Old 06-02-2009 at 10:34 PM   #49
choihonlam

Liked: 6 Times

hahaha dont worry, you'll have at least 2 this year!
Both my girlfriend and I are in Med Rad and we've been dating for almost 4 years!
Old 06-02-2009 at 10:53 PM   #50
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by choihonlam View Post
hahaha dont worry, you'll have at least 2 this year!
Both my girlfriend and I are in Med Rad and we've been dating for almost 4 years!
I didn't even know there was a "Med Rad" program. Is it like what the red phone thingys on campus are for? Or is it like emergency Ambulance and ER workers?

Sounds pretty cool

Edit: http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/calendar...medradsci.html
There is the link for the program, if anyone was lazy enough to not search it- like me Even cooler than it sounded! If there is anyone undecided here, I would definitely say check this program out!

Last edited by dmzz : 06-02-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Silly
Old 06-02-2009 at 11:40 PM   #51
shhhane

Liked: 1 Time

1) Nursing I
2) Res, of course.
3) Super, duper, duper, duper EXCITED! Can't wait.

Nursing students holler!
Old 06-03-2009 at 12:54 PM   #52
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

MedRadSci is a highly specialized program wherein students graduate and (usually) go straight to work. There are pretty much 2 paths most people go, one is doing Ultrasound, and the other Imaging (things like X-Ray technology, etc).

They need to take things like Physics and Anatomy, but highly specialized versions. Their physics involves lots of waves, and their anatomy involves 'effects of X-Rays' and things like that. (Though I think in first year, they take the Kinesiology anatomy course...or at least they used to, Kin's been reworked completely)

The practicuum is a great experience, everyone I know in MedRadSci loves the practicuum.

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-03-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-03-2009 at 03:23 PM   #53
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

So great to see many new faces in the forums!!! WELCOME to MacInsiders! Just holler if you need help or have any questions
Old 06-03-2009 at 08:47 PM   #54
Sweetie321

Liked: Liked 3 Times

1) Psyccc
2) Rezz babbbby
3) & Hell ya I'm excited !
Old 06-05-2009 at 02:38 PM   #55
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
It sounds like I'm part of the minority, but I'm glad they did away with grade 13. It would have just been another year wasted in my opinion. I don't think high school really matters to be honest.

High school can never really prepare you for university, because it's setup is totally different. There is no way to really simulate university......witho ut actually being in university.

It's like teaching someone to drive on only 40km/h roads, and then expecting them to be able to do Formula 1 racing as well.
I agree. It would have been a waste for me to do grade 13. I was as prepared as I was going to be for university. Doing one more year of the same highschool wasn't going to change anything.

Highschool and university are so different. I don't feel there is much "preparing" going on in HS.
Old 06-05-2009 at 03:28 PM   #56
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I took CO-OP in my last year (13/victory lap), so it prepared me a LOT for how to be more professional (write a resume and cover letter, succeed in an interview) and use time management (I had class assignments for CO_OP, was working 40 hours/week at my CO-OP placement and between 8-20 at my part-time job) etc. That combination really helped me in first year, moreso than high school could have.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-11-2009 at 08:47 PM   #57
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

I did a victory lap, I do not regret it nor do I see it as waste of a year (though my parents did think so at first). First of all, it allowed me to have a life while balancing school (No offense but all of the 16 year old kids I've met in university have led very sheltered lives and have like 0 hobbies... not all, but who i have met, yes). I did lots of courses that interested me and though I knew I wanted to study science, I got to do extra courses in Arts/English by doing an extra year. (Highschool electives have proved to be very useful so far). I also got to do lots of extracurriculars also, especially in gr 12 +. I formed good friendships during my victory lap, pursued a few hobbies and had a social life that didn't revolve around academics. Finally, I had the perks of seniority (whether I actually deserved them or not). Grade 13 was very fun and productive for me.

Personally, I think I would have been too immature to handle university if I didn't do the victory lap. Gr 12 is really stressful because you have the pressure of getting high marks and sometimes students are really competitive.

Last edited by sinthusized : 06-11-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2009 at 09:05 PM   #58
sinthusized
Elite Member

Oh discrete math was the worst course at my school, we had a teacher who was pretty bad and refused to teach. They also mixed up topics they hadn't taught for the tests and still made them count.. haha the stories I heard from people in that class were funny though. OH we learned about the proof as extra in calc vect.. (my math teacher taught us some extra stuff help us out in university.. she was awsome.)
Old 06-11-2009 at 09:07 PM   #59
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I personally love competition and welcome the pressure of getting good marks. Without the pressure I doubt I would have done as well as I've done. It actually shows through my years in highschool that pressure makes me do better. My marks have always increased since grade 9 with a big jump at grade 11. My average increased 7% between grade 10 and 11.

Everyone has a different ideal work scenario, some people like it chill where they can easily concentrate. Some other people need that extra push in order to concentrate on the task at hand.

I'm the latter and I'm glad I went to university with close friends that I always compete with. The heavy cost of university also pushes me to do my best.
Old 06-11-2009 at 09:14 PM   #60
sinthusized
Elite Member

I'm more of a chill person, though I am motivated to do well. I know loads who do well with friendly competition. Anyways, I meant unfriendly, malicious competition, one lab group deliberately sabotaged one of my highschool labs! I was angry for a month lol.

Last edited by sinthusized : 06-11-2009 at 09:28 PM.