MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Welcome Week Starting Tomorrow! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-03-2010 09:29 PM
Starting A Club Cassanova Clubs & Groups 5 03-28-2010 05:08 PM
Starting science 1A00? twitterbird Academics 17 08-03-2009 03:55 PM
Starting in January MrSmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-26-2009 01:57 PM
First Year: Engineering 1 fall '09 xxsumz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 06-23-2009 07:06 PM

POLL: For those who are starting first year in fall '09...

Old 06-11-2009
sinthusized
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-11-2009 at 09:44 PM   #61
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Oh right, I forgot there are different types of competition. I like the friendly competitions. ^-^

I can't believe someone would go as far as to sabotage someone else's project. That's just unreasonable. You shouldn't let competition drive you to become like that. What do you gain from that? Oh wow, you did the best good job. It's not like you won millions of dollars, but I'm not saying that if that is the prize that you are allowed to sabotage. It should never be done.

I like friendly competition because we still help one another, so it doesn't have any harm on anyone. ^-^
Old 06-12-2009 at 04:42 AM   #62
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

You know in UofT, people get so competitive since it's a large school that they will resort to pulling assignments out of the drop boxes, copying them, and then burning the original so no one knows they copied it?
Old 06-12-2009 at 09:55 AM   #63
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
You know in UofT, people get so competitive since it's a large school that they will resort to pulling assignments out of the drop boxes, copying them, and then burning the original so no one knows they copied it?

I really want to call BS on that. First off, you don't submit your assignment into the dropbox until the day it's due (usually a few hours if not minutes before the deadline). That means someone would have to go to the dropbox basically hours/minutes before the deadline, and have to pull the assignment out with the potential for other people in the class to just walk by and catch them in the act.

THEN, if that goes well, he/she still needs to find a way to copy the assignment and get it back into the dropbox by the deadline. Seems like it's less work to just do the assignment yourself. Less chance to get expelled too.
Old 06-12-2009 at 11:03 AM   #64
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Yeah... that seems kind of outrageous...
Old 06-12-2009 at 01:17 PM   #65
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
I really want to call BS on that. First off, you don't submit your assignment into the dropbox until the day it's due (usually a few hours if not minutes before the deadline).
Well no, I'd actually like to call BS on that. I, as one example, regularly hand in my assignments days before they're due (if I have the option of using a drop box), and since UofT is such a large school there are always people who hand theirs in as such also.

It is just heresay (I heard it from someone who attended, they allegedly witnessed someone trying to do exactly that, reported it and they got in some sort of trouble. I do trust this source however, so I'm convinced, but whether or not you trust me that well is a different story :p and I realize that).

Whether true or fale, it's naive to assume 4000+ students pile up 5 minutes before the deadline and hand in their Introductory level Calculus assignments...so it's not as 'unreal' as your post makes it seem, since it isn't done within the last 5 minutes or something like that (Remember...UofT is a very different environment from McMaster. UofT is classified as a 'large' university, and Mac is relatively small).

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-12-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2009 at 01:21 PM   #66
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
I really want to call BS on that. First off, you don't submit your assignment into the dropbox until the day it's due (usually a few hours if not minutes before the deadline). That means someone would have to go to the dropbox basically hours/minutes before the deadline, and have to pull the assignment out with the potential for other people in the class to just walk by and catch them in the act.

THEN, if that goes well, he/she still needs to find a way to copy the assignment and get it back into the dropbox by the deadline. Seems like it's less work to just do the assignment yourself. Less chance to get expelled too.
My friends at UofT have complained that they can't find what they need in their textbooks because people have ripped out the pages.

And my friend's brother (who graduated probably about 7-8 years ago now) said in one of his first year classes the prof said "Half of you will be failing by midterm, and the other half of you will fail after the final exam".

So glad I didn't go there.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-12-2009 at 01:52 PM   #67
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
My friends at UofT have complained that they can't find what they need in their textbooks because people have ripped out the pages.

And my friend's brother (who graduated probably about 7-8 years ago now) said in one of his first year classes the prof said "Half of you will be failing by midterm, and the other half of you will fail after the final exam".

So glad I didn't go there.
Ripping textbook pages? WOW lol that's a rumor I heard about Schulich Buisness (b/c top ten percent, or something like that ) of the graduating class get a great job right away.

LOL we're so offtopic now.

Last edited by sinthusized : 06-12-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-12-2009 at 02:08 PM   #68
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
"Half of you will be failing by midterm, and the other half of you will fail after the final exam".
I wonder why that sounds so familiar... Oh yeah.

First year Eng.
Old 06-12-2009 at 02:19 PM   #69
MrFryingFish

Liked: 5 Times

1) Physical Sciences
2) Rez
3) Oh hell yes! Especially after three, umm... victory laps I am so sick of living in my parents house.
Old 06-12-2009 at 02:38 PM   #70
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
I really want to call BS on that. First off, you don't submit your assignment into the dropbox until the day it's due (usually a few hours if not minutes before the deadline).
Contrary to what Mowicz says, I agree with this. I would never hand in anything that early on the grounds that I like reviewing my assignments multiple times before I hand it in. Most people are the same way (or at least really procrastinate :p).

On another note, how do you get an assignment out of the drop box? I mean; I guess if the box is really packed, you could maybe get the top one out, but what says it's going to be any good? For that situation to happen, you would have to wait for it to be close to the deadline to become that full. The alternative I guess would be attaching a chewed up piece of gum to a string and "fishing" it out... something that would be ridiculously hard to do without being noticed.

Burning it seems to be taking it a bit far too. Burned paper is far more noticeable than a shredded paper.
Old 06-12-2009 at 03:54 PM   #71
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFryingFish View Post
1) Physical Sciences
2) Rez
3) Oh hell yes! Especially after three, umm... victory laps I am so sick of living in my parents house.
YAY for getting for forum back on track!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-12-2009 at 04:40 PM   #72
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Contrary to what Mowicz says, I agree with this. I would never hand in anything that early on the grounds that I like reviewing my assignments multiple times before I hand it in. Most people are the same way (or at least really procrastinate :p).
Old habits die hard.

Guess I'll just drop it, you can believe what you want, but procrastination is not a good thing, and should not be the anticipated norm. Shame on you guys.
Old 06-12-2009 at 04:46 PM   #73
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
procrastination is not a good thing, and should not be the anticipated norm. Shame on you guys.
Hard work pays off later. :(

Laziness pays off now.
Old 06-12-2009 at 04:52 PM   #74
Mowicz
Elite Member

lol. You know what else pays off now but not in the long run? Not doing your work, and stealing someone else's assignment :p

I'm kinda dumb like this...I need to explain!

It's all mathematics...if 1 out of every 200 people behaves as they should in an ideal circumstance and completes their work well in advance...even 2 days early, then 20 assignments are in the box in a class of 4000 students (and I believe this is a gross underestimate).

Given the 2 days, one could go in during the late hours of the day when there isn't much traffic and fish it out (this is in keeping with the same theme as the case my friend told me about). As for the mechanics of how it's done, I don't know it isn't like I do this regularly or anything haha.

Bear in mind...that since my friend did catch the person (I think he said it was 2 people) and reported suspicious behaviour, then it's not like it's a failsafe method.

And as for burning it, if paper is burned then all evidence is lost. Naturally, it seems the ideal choice of cover up, since shredded paper is still evidence.

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-12-2009 at 04:55 PM.