MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accepted...But how to get there GCSM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 06-18-2010 09:50 PM
No Programs Accepted resh.jyoti Academics 4 06-01-2010 04:30 PM
Where to check if I'm accepted to 2nd yr? DumbEngKid Academics 3 04-24-2010 05:00 PM
Russia Today Rejected Ads Mr. Pink Computers & Tech 11 02-05-2010 01:23 PM
It Doesn't Hurt to Try But it Hurts to be Rejected! ferreinm Misc 5 09-15-2008 02:10 PM

Is it possible to be accepted after being initially rejected?

Old 04-22-2010 at 06:30 PM   #1
JayT

Liked: 0 Times

Is it possible to be accepted after being initially rejected?
I applied for business and at the moment the required average is 81%-84%. I'm sitting at an 82.5 (I assume it is lowered to 82). I'm getting really stressed out mainly because I'm afraid of not getting in (again). I stayed back another year in high school hoping to increase my marks.

If I were not to get accepted but by the time the school year ends and my mark increases by a noticeable amount, is there any chance I could be reconsidered? The only thing I really have to fall back on is Mathematics which I got accepted awhile back.
Old 04-22-2010 at 06:35 PM   #2
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I feel like if schools didn't want people with an 82, they should specifically state "YOU MUST HAVE AN 83 OR HIGHER TO BE ACCEPTED."

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 04-22-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-22-2010 at 06:42 PM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

You could always go into math, take a lot of business courses and transfer in ...
Old 04-22-2010 at 07:17 PM   #4
JayT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I feel like if schools didn't want people with an 82, they should specifically state "YOU MUST HAVE AN 83 OR HIGHER TO BE ACCEPTED."
I've been told by numerous people that getting within their averages isn't a guaranteed acceptance. If you're right and I do get in regardless of how high my marks may be, thats a relief.
Old 04-22-2010 at 07:25 PM   #5
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

The reason some people with the required average don't get in is because the schools can't control how many people apply and what averages they have.

If you need between 81 and 84%, and you apply with 82%, that doesn't mean you will be accepted. Hundreds of people with 90% or higher could apply, and they are going to get in the program instead of you. The "average required" is just an estimate based on what the average was of the people who got in the program last year.

As per your original question, you may get a late acceptance far into the summer. But, if you have already been declined acceptance, they won't go back and offer it to you later.
Like Jay said above, you could also enter into the Math program and transfer into business in second year.
Old 04-22-2010 at 07:44 PM   #6
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
I've been told by numerous people that getting within their averages isn't a guaranteed acceptance. If you're right and I do get in regardless of how high my marks may be, thats a relief.
Okay so, stop wasting your time and:
a) improve your marks regardless
b) make sure to apply to other places

And if you don't want to work any harder, then your only solution is to stop worrying about something you choose not to control.

Besides, you already got accepted for something which is a lot better than nothing and all you have to do is mirror the first year commerce requirements and transfer in 2nd year.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 04-22-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-22-2010 at 10:54 PM   #7
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Also, depending on which area of Commerce you would like to pursue, you could always drop by to see an Academic Advisor or call 905-525-9140 and asked to be patched through to the DeGroote School of Business to book an appointment and see what courses you can and cannot take while shadowing the program and whether you can get waivers for some. You could also consider a major in Economics, which, and correct me if I'm wrong also is a great degree with a lot of business relevant material though it is taught as a social science here. You could also ask whether you could major in Economics and still have some of the same options as a Business grad after graduation. You could see if a double major in Math and Econ is possible. That sounds like a pretty fantastic degree but again, you would want to ask that AA about careers in the field etc. The important thing is not to keep worrying; you have options and you're not completely lost at sea. Focus on having a great 12th year and working on getting those final marks right where you'd like them to be. Good luck

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 04-23-2010 at 07:03 AM   #8
JayT

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

If I were to transfer into business after doing first year math, would I start from Business I?
Old 04-23-2010 at 08:30 AM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Most likely, yes. Though I'm assuming some credits could be transfered.
Old 04-23-2010 at 12:09 PM   #10
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

^^untrue^^

It depends on what your electives were. However, I propose an alternative that I have actually seen results from in terms of transferring into Commerce:

Transfer into Social Science. The option is very likely available to you, but you'll need to talk to the Faculty, and probably fill out some paperwork. Since the Commerce and Social Sciences first year course requirements are nearly identical, it's much more beneficial to begin in Social Sciences. Plus, theres a high degree of flexibility, and you are probably going to get an alternate offer to Social Sciences if you do not get admitted to Commerce.

This way, you can mirror Business I, and if you successfully transfer, you will have the opportunity to start in Commerce II, and only have to catch up the one Commerce course that you were unable to take in first year. I've had a few friends take this path.

It also doesn't shut the door in Mathematics, as you can take Math & Stats prerequisites, as a secondary fall back. I have friends who have also taken this path, and are completing Math & Economics degrees. However, that's a degree that is administered by the Faculty of Social Sciences, so again, it's easier to go the Social Sciences route.

For more Math & Econ info: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1682.html

Last edited by rohan10 : 04-23-2010 at 12:11 PM.