MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Program change M1234 General Discussion 6 04-03-2012 08:55 AM
Mission Fireball - NEW Engineering, Comp Sci & B.Tech Info Site wolfgang General Discussion 15 06-26-2011 07:51 PM
Tech Free for Change cva1 Computers & Tech 25 10-14-2010 12:20 AM
Second Degree and Program Transfer Chris094 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-27-2010 01:11 AM
Can you still change your program? Raeann89 Academics 3 05-31-2008 04:48 AM

Is is possible to change from Engineering I to B-Tech Degree Completion program

Old 07-10-2012 at 12:38 PM   #1
canadianvpk

Liked: 1 Time

Is is possible to change from Engineering I to B-Tech Degree Completion program
Hey Guys,

I am totally confused here. I applied for Mcmaster - Computer Engineering and I got accepted with some credits waived and got into Engineering I will be starting this Fall. I was looking about courses offered in Mcmaster and noticed that they have degree completion program which is something I am interested in.(This doesn't shown up and when I looked at first).

I already selected courses for Eng 1 and registered. Classes will be starting this fall.

Is it possible whether I can change to B-Tech degree completion program from Eng I. What should I do now?.

Thanks,

Pradeep
Old 07-10-2012 at 01:12 PM   #2
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

It might be very much possible depending on enrolllment this year. I would go to Mac if possible. Call and make an appt first. they might help you over the phone but in person best because whoever you talk to on the phone may not know all their info.
Old 07-11-2012 at 10:44 AM   #3
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Hi Pradeep, I am not sure if you can do that because it is a "degree completion" program..it is designed for students who have a college diploma (but I think a university graduate can enrol as well, not too sure).

It is better to talk to an academic advisor/administrator or someone else from the B.Tech office. Here is a contact list:
http://mybtechdegree.ca/contacts.html
Old 07-11-2012 at 05:15 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Hi Pradeep, I am not sure if you can do that because it is a "degree completion" program..it is designed for students who have a college diploma (but I think a university graduate can enrol as well, not too sure).

It is better to talk to an academic advisor/administrator or someone else from the B.Tech office. Here is a contact list:
http://mybtechdegree.ca/contacts.html
I know plenty of people in btech with neither college diplomas or university degrees.
Old 07-11-2012 at 05:20 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

No clue about degree completion. If you want to switch to B-Tech, make an appointment with Sally Williams. Many people make the switch.
Old 07-11-2012 at 05:56 PM   #6
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I know plenty of people in btech with neither college diplomas or university degrees.
I know plenty of people who are in b.tech too who don't have a college diploma or a university degree either (they came straight from high school), but that's not what I was talking about...the B.Tech program has different programs in it.
There's the normal B.Tech program that is 4.5 years and only requires the usual high school requirements.

There's another program in B.tech called "Degree completion program"...this program requires a college diploma or a university degree(i think)...you can't just go into it from high school... that's the program that the OP is talking about, he's not talking about the regular, 4.5 year B.Tech program.

For example, for the "Computing & Information Technology" stream in the B.tech degree completion program you need a college diploma or a university degree..high school students can't apply to it:
"The B.Tech. program in Computing & Information Technology is designed to provide further technical and management education for graduates of either the Software Engineering, Network Engineering and Security Analyst or Computer Engineering streams of a three-year Ontario College Advanced Technology diploma program (or equivalent) provided that the required prerequisites have been met. Emphasis will be placed on Information Technology management and the broadening of existing technical skills."
It's very confusing I know, lot's people think that b.tech is just 4.5 years and that's it.
Old 07-12-2012 at 03:22 PM   #7
canadianvpk

Thanks Guys. I was talking about the B Tech degree completion program as I already done the three year diploma. I will get in touch with the program coordinator. After I hear from them I will post it here.

Any idea how the job opportunity for this program ?. Do any know who taking this program ?. I thing I will go into Computer and Information Technology B Tech program.
Old 07-12-2012 at 06:05 PM   #8
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianvpk View Post
Thanks Guys. I was talking about the B Tech degree completion program as I already done the three year diploma. I will get in touch with the program coordinator. After I hear from them I will post it here.

Any idea how the job opportunity for this program ?. Do any know who taking this program ?. I thing I will go into Computer and Information Technology B Tech program.
I don't know how the job market is for that program, but if I were you I would go into computer eng...B.tech at mcmaster is a new program (not so new), but computer engineering is an old one..so computer eng is known worldwide, while b.tech isn't. I am not saying that b.tech is not known in other countries, it is!

I understand that if you go into the b.tech degree completion program program you have like 2 years left, but if you do comp eng you have 4...but it's worth the time (and effort!).
If you really wanna go to b.tech go for it, but it's better to just stick with engineering.

canadianvpk says thanks to jim1 for this post.

canadianvpk likes this.
Old 07-12-2012 at 08:00 PM   #9
canadianvpk

Well yeah Jim, you know if I choose B Tech I will be done in 2 years whereas if I pick comp eng then it will take two more year(i.e. 4 yrs in total)... As saying that is clear that tuition would be cheaper on B Tech. But the thing is I dont really know how the job market for both of these degrees ?. If I am going to be employed in same position as B Tech then no point spending two more years on comp eng right????
Old 07-12-2012 at 08:52 PM   #10
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianvpk View Post
Well yeah Jim, you know if I choose B Tech I will be done in 2 years whereas if I pick comp eng then it will take two more year(i.e. 4 yrs in total)... As saying that is clear that tuition would be cheaper on B Tech. But the thing is I dont really know how the job market for both of these degrees ?. If I am going to be employed in same position as B Tech then no point spending two more years on comp eng right????
Don't think about it like that...even if you spend more years finishing up comp eng, it's totally worth it..computer engineering is very big. Also, thinking about tuition is a bad idea, even if btech is few grands cheaper, doesn't matter.

What Can You Do After Graduation (this is for comp eng)?
"Since you specialized in two fields you will have tremendous freedom in choosing types of project you want to work on and/or your career. As an example you may choose to work on the development of the medical devices such as medical robots. Or you may choose to design and implement control algorithms that control water level in water dams. Another option is to work for a power utility company and design code that controls substations in a power utility grid. You may also work with automotive designers to design Microsystems that control fuel ignition in hybrid vehicles. The opportunities are unlimited!"
http://www.ece.mcmaster.ca/2comp.html

Last edited by jim1 : 07-15-2012 at 08:20 PM.