MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No barcode on Presto card SweetyTweety Automotive & Transportation 5 08-21-2012 10:17 AM
PRESTO Card Abhimint General Discussion 41 07-28-2012 03:56 PM
Presto Card Promo Leeoku MacInsiders Announcements 35 07-09-2012 04:09 PM
PRESTO Card Question Abhimint General Discussion 12 06-12-2012 03:43 PM
how to register PRESTO for the GO? jon.john23 General Discussion 7 11-30-2011 03:29 PM

Presto Cost Per Trip

Old 08-22-2012 at 02:52 PM   #1
Chopinetude

Liked: 15 Times

Presto Cost Per Trip
Hi,

does anyone know what's the cost for one trip from Square One to McMaster? For Presto Card .
Is it the same as a 10 ride ticket? I want to make sure if the fare was correctly deducted from my presto card.

Thanks,

Old 08-22-2012 at 03:18 PM   #2
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

I hate Presto tbh. But yea it's the same as 10 ride pass. Make sure you tap off when you get off the bus.

Chopinetude, jon.john23, WeRunTheCity all say thanks to mcmastergcdb for this post.

Old 08-22-2012 at 04:01 PM   #3
Chopinetude

Liked: 15 Times

thanks for your advice; I was having a tough time with Presto too...T_T

Old 08-22-2012 at 04:07 PM   #4
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Don't worry about them overcharging you. They wouldn't do that. They deduct whatever the cost required is, no more no less.

I hate Presto though

Chopinetude says thanks to AelyaS for this post.
Old 08-22-2012 at 05:19 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

~8 bucks total

Chopinetude says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 08-22-2012 at 05:47 PM   #6
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

why do you all hate it? it's easy, tap on tap off. You can use the one card in multiple cities. It's great!
Old 08-22-2012 at 07:15 PM   #7
username2

Liked: 3 Times

tapping it on the way off is often problematic esp when you fall asleep on the bus lol

dquest, kwyhan like this.
Old 08-22-2012 at 07:20 PM   #8
kwyhan
Elite Member

i keep forgetting to tap on the way off
but luckily i get off at the last stop.
Old 08-22-2012 at 07:42 PM   #9
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Post it note on your presto card?
Old 08-22-2012 at 09:18 PM   #10
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

Do you actually end up saving with the card, instead of buying tickets every time? or is it just convinience?
Old 08-22-2012 at 09:24 PM   #11
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesciman1 View Post
Do you actually end up saving with the card, instead of buying tickets every time? or is it just convinience?
Here is the discount on the Presto card if you get a student classification:

If you take the same GO trip each time you travel within a calendar month, your GO fare* will be:

• Rides 1 – 30, 15%** off the single adult GO fare
• Rides 31 – 40, 95%** off the single adult GO fare
• Rides 41+, 100% off the single adult GO fare

If you do not take the exact same trip each time you travel on GO within a calendar month, your first 30 rides on GO will be 15%** off the single adult GO fare*. For rides 31 and onwards, your discount will be based on the value of the rides you’ve taken that month.

BlueWave says thanks to pavlov for this post.

pinkprincess likes this.
Old 08-22-2012 at 09:27 PM   #12
Yann

Liked: 1 Time

Presto card was a pain.. i always forgot to tap off and end up being overcharged >.<

WeRunTheCity likes this.
Old 08-22-2012 at 09:36 PM   #13
WeRunTheCity

Liked: 1 Time

So a bus driver got into an argument with me about how Presto is so much better because he doesn't have to mark 10-ride passes and tickets anymore. As well as, people used to get their passes wet and screwed up and it wouldn't get recognized by the machine, which never happened to me since I always keep my wallet and ride pass in my bag pack.

But Presto is a freaking pain in the ass when you are riding city bus, taking train and then again taking Go bus to school and You freaking tap on and tap off like 5 times. They gotta do something about it, technology is supposed to make it easier to travel not annoying.

dreamer21 likes this.
Old 08-23-2012 at 11:11 AM   #14
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRunTheCity View Post
So a bus driver got into an argument with me about how Presto is so much better because he doesn't have to mark 10-ride passes and tickets anymore. As well as, people used to get their passes wet and screwed up and it wouldn't get recognized by the machine, which never happened to me since I always keep my wallet and ride pass in my bag pack.

But Presto is a freaking pain in the ass when you are riding city bus, taking train and then again taking Go bus to school and You freaking tap on and tap off like 5 times. They gotta do something about it, technology is supposed to make it easier to travel not annoying.
Geez it must be so tiring for them to move their arm to stamp tickets -_-

I haven't used Presto yet but will likely have to in September if I want to save some money. I use transit the same way so I imagine my experience will be very annoying with the constant tap on/tap off.

As for posts others have made about forgetting to tap off, that's what I'm worried about for when I start using it and I'm sure GO transit loves Presto because they make more money very easily from this
Old 08-23-2012 at 02:02 PM   #15
pinkprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer21 View Post

As for posts others have made about forgetting to tap off, that's what I'm worried about for when I start using it and I'm sure GO transit loves Presto because they make more money very easily from this
Not sure how they're making more money from this, since the cost of ride on Presto is less than a normal ride. The monthly pass costs less. You discount on every ride because you're not limited to a certain destination. There's lots of ways to get around the initial $6 fee for the card; I showed them a previously bought 10-ride ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesciman1 View Post
You do end up saving with the card. The monthly cost with Presto is much less the regular monthly pass; it's going to save me about $20/month.
There's also the bonus of getting 15% off a ride that's not part of your regular route.

The only convenience that I like is not having to scramble to get the exact change for public transit.

Presto is great because it saves money, but some things are pretty annoying. I do the train-bus connection to Mac, and I need to have enough money on my card for at least 2 trips because it charges you 2x (when you get on the train and then on the bus) and refunds you the cost of 1 trip plus the discount at the end of the trip. It's really annoying when I only need one trip but am forced to add in the extra money on there.
I would suggest putting the card in some sort of special holder that's separate from your wallet...and keeping that in your hand, so you don't forget to tap off. It becomes routine after a while.
I would recommend trying Presto first...if you don't like it or find that you keep forgetting to tap-off, switch to the regular monthly pass.