MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GO Transit's Free Presto Card Promo! Ivan Q. Automotive & Transportation 13 09-02-2011 06:26 PM
why can't i register SHWEDDIES Academics 2 06-14-2011 08:33 AM
Do I register as a Level 3 or 4? goldfish101 Academics 3 06-08-2011 11:36 PM
Can I register for this course? cpunerd64 Academics 6 06-08-2011 10:10 PM
Presto Card for Summer Transit Ish001 Automotive & Transportation 6 05-23-2011 01:28 PM

how to register PRESTO for the GO?

Old 11-29-2011 at 05:54 PM   #1
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

how to register PRESTO for the GO?
I would really appreciate it if any who commutes via Go could tell me how to get this straightened out! Mississauga trans, Go trans and Presto people are completely confusing me!

I bought the Presto card at the Mississauga Transit, and the told me all I have to is reg. online and go to the GO train station to set my account as student. So I tried to reg. online and it failed, saying that my "pin is incorrect".

Today went to GO train station @ port credit and this guy @ the desk tells me, I need to regiter online and i also need a "GO STUDENT ID"( --- does anyone have this?) to get the discount.

I tried to reg. again online and it produced the same result!!! I called Presto and they told me to tap off at one of the balance checkers and wait a whole day before I can go back to get the student discount.

Wht I am supposed to do?

Last edited by jon.john23 : 11-29-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-29-2011 at 05:58 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
I would really appreciate it if any who commutes via Go could tell how to get this straightened out! Mississauga trans, Go trans and Presto people are completely confusing me!

I bought the Presto card at the Mississauga Transit, and the told me all I have to is reg. online and go to the GO train station to set my account as student. So I tried to reg. online and it failed, saying that my "pin is incorrect".

Today went to GO train station @ port credit and this guy @ the desk tells me, I need to regiter online and i also need a "GO STUDENT ID"( --- does anyone have this?) to get the discount.

I tried to reg. again online and it produced the same result!!! I called Presto and they told me to tap off at one of the balance checkers and wait a whole day before I can go back to get the student discount.

Wht the hell I supposed to do?
For the GO Student ID, it's just your McMaster student card.

Edit: Is this where you registered the card? https://www.prestocard.ca/Account/Lo...gisterFarecard Because I don't understand how you could possibly have a PIN if you haven't registered yet.

Last edited by jhan523 : 11-29-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-29-2011 at 06:14 PM   #3
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

yup

I tried this first, but then it said my card wasnt activated.
Old 11-29-2011 at 06:22 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
yup

I tried this first, but then it said my card wasnt activated.
I would just call them tomorrow.
Old 11-29-2011 at 07:40 PM   #5
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

In order to activate your card you have to use it on any transit system. I just tapped mine on an HSR then I was able to set everything up.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

jon.john23 says thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.
Old 11-30-2011 at 07:03 AM   #6
JLG 15

Liked: 0 Times

Just to warn you of presto. If the route you take using GO has any backtracking in it PRESTO will over charge you. I had to cancel my PRESTO because I was coming from St.Catharines to Burlington in order to then get to McMaster, and because Hamilton is a cheaper far zone to my house than burlington they would charge me for burlington plus the money for taking another bus.
Also they now say that they are making everyone with a 10 or monthly pass switch to presto in the new year.

jon.john23 says thanks to JLG 15 for this post.
Old 11-30-2011 at 09:37 AM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLG 15 View Post
Also they now say that they are making everyone with a 10 or monthly pass switch to presto in the new year.
Link please.
Old 11-30-2011 at 03:29 PM   #8
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLG 15 View Post
Where did you hear that? Because I buy my 10-use passes in advance, and I won't be able to use them all up by the new year.