MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No barcode on Presto card SweetyTweety Automotive & Transportation 5 08-21-2012 10:17 AM
PRESTO Card Abhimint General Discussion 41 07-28-2012 03:56 PM
Presto Card Promo Leeoku MacInsiders Announcements 35 07-09-2012 04:09 PM
PRESTO Card Question Abhimint General Discussion 12 06-12-2012 03:43 PM
how to register PRESTO for the GO? jon.john23 General Discussion 7 11-30-2011 03:29 PM

Presto Cost Per Trip

Old 08-23-2012 at 04:35 PM   #16
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkprincess View Post
Not sure how they're making more money from this, since the cost of ride on Presto is less than a normal ride. The monthly pass costs less. You discount on every ride because you're not limited to a certain destination. There's lots of ways to get around the initial $6 fee for the card; I showed them a previously bought 10-ride ticket.
What I was referring to is the fact that people do sometimes forget to tap off and each time that happens GO transit makes extra money because the person will be charged until the end of the line (i.e. if someone commutes from Oakville and forgets to tap off they will be charged for a trip to Union Station).

Old 08-23-2012 at 05:20 PM   #17
WeRunTheCity

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer21 View Post
What I was referring to is the fact that people do sometimes forget to tap off and each time that happens GO transit makes extra money because the person will be charged until the end of the line (i.e. if someone commutes from Oakville and forgets to tap off they will be charged for a trip to Union Station).
that happened to me on my first trip haha. I barely use Go Bus and they switched my 10 ride pass to presto card. I thought you just use it the old fashion and didn't know you are supposed to tap off. And there went my 20 bucks out of the window.
Old 08-23-2012 at 06:07 PM   #18
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRunTheCity View Post
But Presto is a freaking pain in the ass when you are riding city bus, taking train and then again taking Go bus to school and You freaking tap on and tap off like 5 times. They gotta do something about it, technology is supposed to make it easier to travel not annoying.
So tapping 5 times, and only having to keep track of a card is harder than having to deal with putting a ticket into a slot, keeping track of a transfer, having to buy a train ticket, and then having to give a GO ticket? Seems like so much harder to tap! Derp.
Old 08-23-2012 at 09:09 PM   #19
WeRunTheCity

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
So tapping 5 times, and only having to keep track of a card is harder than having to deal with putting a ticket into a slot, keeping track of a transfer, having to buy a train ticket, and then having to give a GO ticket? Seems like so much harder to tap! Derp.
how the hell do you keep track of transfer? and you don't need a transfer directly from a Go bus to city bus. If I have a 10 ride pass, I just punch it once and throw it in the bag. Similarly, I also keep my wallet in my backpack and only take it out when I need it, since it's a small thing and can be misplaced easily. But I always have to keep Presto card in my hand reach and has greater chances of getting lost. So getting one ticket and forget about it instead of tapping 5 times much more convenient, at least to me
Old 08-23-2012 at 09:28 PM   #20
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Not only is PRESTO more expensive than monthly passes (for my route), but the tapping on and off is much more of a hassle than just simply flashing your pass before getting on. And if you forget to tap off, that's more even money you're being charged. It could add up to about $70 more a month for me.

Honestly, switching to PRESTO seems like marketed and disguised way for Metrolinx to hustle more money.

Also, does anyone know if GO still sells monthly passes, or have they forced us over to PRESTO?

dreamer21 likes this.
Old 08-24-2012 at 12:22 AM   #21
Malka

Liked: 10 Times

I know that 10 ride tickets and 2 ride tickets have been discontinued.
Old 08-24-2012 at 01:03 AM   #22
sherloki

Liked: 3 Times

Monthly passes are still available, but I think they're phasing them out... I'm pretty sure Presto's more expensive for me too. Not applicable to most of you, but Brampton Transit's going to stop selling single ride tickets all together and make Presto their main method of payment. With all of the transit subsidiaries pushing it so hard, they must be making a lot of extra money off of people who forget to tap off.
Old 08-24-2012 at 10:26 AM   #23
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogurt View Post

Honestly, switching to PRESTO seems like marketed and disguised way for Metrolinx to hustle more money.
This is how I see it too
Old 08-24-2012 at 12:54 PM   #24
bhatoai

Liked: 0 Times

If you are always taking the same trip, you can go to a GO Agent and set a default trip. That way you won't have to tap off, only tap on (takes money for only the specialized default trip).
Old 08-24-2012 at 01:09 PM   #25
TheCrucible

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
Don't worry about them overcharging you. They wouldn't do that. They deduct whatever the cost required is, no more no less.

I hate Presto though
Just recently, I was overcharged using PRESTO. Normally when I make the trip from Square One to Hamilton, it charges me $4.50 when tapping on and $2.52 when tapping off. This time, it charged me $4.50 when tapping on and $4.00 when tapping off.

I logged onto my PRESTO account online to see why - apparently, when I tapped on, it thought I was at Bramalea GO, not Square One. So I was overcharged.

I sent an email about it, and so far no response. I really hope this doesn't happen again, but I see no reason why it couldn't.
Old 08-24-2012 at 02:46 PM   #26
pinkprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatoai View Post
If you are always taking the same trip, you can go to a GO Agent and set a default trip. That way you won't have to tap off, only tap on (takes money for only the specialized default trip).
This is not allowed on routes with GO buses, which all routes to Mac have. Bus drivers will still make you tap.
They initially put a default setting on mine, but I was overcharged a lot. It took a while and several people to figure out what the problem was.

So don't put a default destination to Mac.

:-)
Old 08-24-2012 at 02:48 PM   #27
pinkprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrucible View Post
Just recently, I was overcharged using PRESTO. Normally when I make the trip from Square One to Hamilton, it charges me $4.50 when tapping on and $2.52 when tapping off. This time, it charged me $4.50 when tapping on and $4.00 when tapping off.

I logged onto my PRESTO account online to see why - apparently, when I tapped on, it thought I was at Bramalea GO, not Square One. So I was overcharged.

I sent an email about it, and so far no response. I really hope this doesn't happen again, but I see no reason why it couldn't.
I would see an agent at a GO station. It will be faster and they can refund you the difference right away.

I think the most likely reason it thought you were at Bramalea was because the bus driver made a mistake.

Last edited by pinkprincess : 08-24-2012 at 02:54 PM.