SOCS Laser Tag! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-15-2008 12:48 AM
Laser Tag Event! Chad General Discussion 0 02-25-2008 07:25 PM

Printer: Laser Jet or All in one?

Old 08-13-2008 at 04:00 PM   #1
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Printer: Laser Jet or All in one?
Im kinda in the middle between purchasing either a mini (prolly Brother) laser jet printer or bring my all in 1 (printer, scanner, fax and w.e. else it can do) HP printer

Im just curious but do we get projects that require color. I rarely used my color printer to do "bristol board projects" for over two years, barely using my color printer in grades 11 and 12

Im leaning towards a mini laser jet since i did use it A LOT more in grade 12, not to mention i dont recall scanning pages off textbooks or any form of scanning period.

I encourage everyone to reply with some comments/suggestions

Cheers

Old 08-13-2008 at 04:13 PM   #2
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

I find All-In-One's to be bulky and quite space consuming, especially if you live in res.. there's not much room for them, maybe on the floor but on your desk isn't wise. Brandon desks aren't exactly massive either but they do have shelving. I feel it's more of a space constraint thing -- do you have enough room for an all-in-one?

P.S - I never needed to print anything in colour all year, and really you're looking for a printer that is efficient (last you a long time).

Old 08-13-2008 at 04:17 PM   #3
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

i had the same prob when i was trying to figure out what printer i should get last year.
I got a laserjet and i LOVE IT! seriously, there isn't really anything you need to print in colour. Mostly gonna print out lecture outlines and what not. You might have diagrams in your lecture notes that have colour and stuff, but i've lasted a whole year w/o colour and its fine w /me. i just get two coloured pens and start colouring diagrams in if its important to highlight them for me to rmb. You don't really use a scanner that much, i just go borrow my friend's if i need it. Fax... i really don't thikn you need to fax anything, even if you do they can do it at the copy center in the estudent center or i think the housing office does it too and you just pay.

you will be printing alot of notes, so i think to save ink and stuff and space, a laser jet is what i vote for ! i love mine!
Old 08-13-2008 at 04:19 PM   #4
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

I love my laser jet too HP LaserJet 1018

Old 08-13-2008 at 04:20 PM   #5
kenvin100
Elite Member

i dont think you know the size of my all in one:

how about scanning? if i can copy pages at mac, i'll just purchase a laser jet after i get on rez

darn, theres no poll option on this forum!

Old 08-13-2008 at 04:27 PM   #6
Eva C
Elite Member

SAME ONE!!! GO HP 1018!!!! i love it...
Old 08-13-2008 at 04:29 PM   #7
kenvin100
Elite Member

lol thas my all in one printer..not a laser jet

this is my laser jet but i doubt it'll fit in my room

lawl i didnt realize eva was talkin to samantha

Old 08-13-2008 at 04:35 PM   #8
Eva C
Elite Member

lol. well if you want to see if it fits, go check out some of the brandon photos. you do get to have a shelf above your desk to put it. are you scared of practicality of which one you will use their functions more or if there is space for it in your room?
Old 08-13-2008 at 04:47 PM   #9
kenvin100
Elite Member

both actually lol..but i guess i'll see when i get there

Old 08-13-2008 at 04:49 PM   #10
Eva C
Elite Member

hey, if you want, you can wait till school starts to buy. if its not a big hassle to move in it again.

i think your laserjet should be able to fit on the shelf. if you want to knwo the dimensions of the shelf, let me know i'm moving in on sunday for CA training. i'm in brandon too

kenvin100 says thanks to Eva C for this post.
Old 08-13-2008 at 05:32 PM   #11
bauhaual

Liked: 0 Times

In my opinion...i have a an HP all in one printer and i think its great. I use it to do a lot of my own photo copying that way i don't have to go to the library and pay to photocopy. I used the scanning part a lot for projects too. I guess it depends on own personal preference...but when i was in first year - there were always a few lecture notes that i prefered to print in colour. Especially if there was a diagram involved. It's just nicer to have it in colour than in black and white.

Of course - these are just my personal opinions and what i like best for myself.
Old 08-13-2008 at 10:48 PM   #12
slx4

Liked: 4 Times

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...&catid= 10233

if you are getting a laser printer for just printing b/w text, this is a good bang/buck. Its on sale for $60 but the last day is tomorrow, and you can Price Match it at Staples if you are near one.
Old 08-18-2008 at 02:34 PM   #13
Sync

Liked: 2 Times

For anyone looking for printers (or all in one), check the following deals:

Starting from $29.99 (all in one):
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/categ...genum=1&sort=5

Starting from $19.99 (Printers):
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/categ...genum=1&sort=5
Old 08-18-2008 at 03:36 PM   #14
kenvin100
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva C View Post
hey, if you want, you can wait till school starts to buy. if its not a big hassle to move in it again.

i think your laserjet should be able to fit on the shelf. if you want to knwo the dimensions of the shelf, let me know i'm moving in on sunday for CA training. i'm in brandon too
um ya sure. its not that big of a deal since I can prolly put it on the floor too, Thanks Eva!

Old 08-24-2008 at 07:39 PM   #15
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Check out my MAC TECH TIPS article. I recommend the BROTHER LASER PRINTER. Amazing, and I found the best place to buy it cheap!