MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So I messed up.. Nucleus Academics 14 01-06-2014 10:10 AM
McMaster gmail login is a little messed omgwtfitsp General Discussion 13 03-13-2013 06:17 PM
Level I Humanities Admissions? Mepper First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 05-31-2011 10:29 AM
Timetable Messed Up - Help Plz MIpolice First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-11-2010 04:09 PM
Messed Up Timetable - Help Plz MIpolice First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-11-2010 03:33 PM

Problem with Level 2 humanities, I think I messed up

Old 06-25-2015 at 11:10 PM   #1
r2ther

Liked: 0 Times

Problem with Level 2 humanities, I think I messed up
So I took a year off, which is the year that just passed, after my first year. I'm getting ready to re-enroll for my second year, now, and I realized that I didn't choose a Level 2 Program during the dates applications were being accepted and my enrollment appointment opened today. Am I screwed? Will this year, if I select courses, simply be a waste as they won't count towards a degree? What options do I have? I've messaged academic advisors, and am just wondering about my options while I await their response.
Old 06-26-2015 at 06:11 AM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

If your enrollment appointment opened today, you're obviously enrolled in a program - so worst case scenario is you just take courses that count towards your degree and shadow required courses for your desired program as best you can.

r2ther says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 06-26-2015 at 08:49 AM   #3
r2ther

I never chose a level 2 program though, so how is that possible? Under the requirements section of my enrollment appointment there are no 'requirement,' like friends of mine have that did choose their level 2 programs. How will I know what counts towards a degree, that I never chose?
Old 06-26-2015 at 10:30 AM   #4
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2ther View Post
How will I know what counts towards a degree, that I never chose?
... By looking up your desired degree on this thing called the internet and looking at the required courses...

https://www.google.ca/search?sourcei...i 57.7575j0j7

All of 2 seconds, and the first link was there. I didn't even have to get creative in my search string.
Old 06-26-2015 at 02:01 PM   #5
r2ther

I think you're misunderstanding, or I didn't explain very well.
My problem is that I missed the level II Applications deadline, as it was during my year off. That application selection determines what program you're going into. I don't know what program I'm in because I never selected one, because I missed it.
Old 06-26-2015 at 03:20 PM   #6
cudizOne

Liked: 2 Times

Hey! So here's what you can do while you wait for the AA to get back to you: Go to Mosaic --> Student Centre --> Click on the link titled "My Academics". There should be a grey area on the right that lists your program. They probably just put you into some three year program that you qualified for, since you didn't select one, but I'm sure if you explain to the AA they'll help you out
In the meantime, you should select courses relative to the program that you want to be in. You may not be able to select them all, but try to get into what you can before they fill up.
If you are able to, try to go to the school in person, you'll get faster results that way. Good luck!

r2ther says thanks to cudizOne for this post.
Old 06-26-2015 at 03:57 PM   #7
r2ther

Hey thanks for the helpful reply, I checked the area and the program says:

Program - Humanities Degree Seeking

Does that mean it's like undeclared? Or is that the most generic humanities degrees of somesort? By the AAs helping me, do you mean they'd be able to manually place me in a program, that I'm eligible for (pre-reqs, and GPA wise) or did you mean they'd be able to help me in some other way?

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2015 at 05:01 PM   #8
cudizOne

Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s the equivalent to undeclared, where you're pursuing an unspecified degree in the faculty of Humanities.
I took a year off too and missed the deadline, but I explained the situation to my advisor and he filled out the required paperwork to get me into my program. It depends on how helpful your advisor is (some are really useless unless you see them in person) but as long as you have the requirements fulfilled and there’s room in your program of choice, there shouldn’t be a problem. At most, you may have to call in or fill out some forms and fax them. If there isn’t room in the program you want, ask to be placed in your second/third choice. You can always shadow the one you want and transfer in 3rd year.

r2ther likes this.
Old 06-27-2015 at 05:57 AM   #9
r2ther

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudizOne View Post
Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s the equivalent to undeclared, where you're pursuing an unspecified degree in the faculty of Humanities.
I took a year off too and missed the deadline, but I explained the situation to my advisor and he filled out the required paperwork to get me into my program. It depends on how helpful your advisor is (some are really useless unless you see them in person) but as long as you have the requirements fulfilled and there’s room in your program of choice, there shouldn’t be a problem. At most, you may have to call in or fill out some forms and fax them. If there isn’t room in the program you want, ask to be placed in your second/third choice. You can always shadow the one you want and transfer in 3rd year.

So I'm not totally screwed then? It's still a salvageable situation? Also the other issue is that that gray area also says Level I, instead of Level II. My academic status says I can continue on Academic Probation, and technically I passed all of my previous credits, so what do you think the reason for that is? Because I haven't picked a Level II program? Or because I took a year off?
Thanks for all the help btw.
Old 06-27-2015 at 07:46 AM   #10
cudizOne

As long as you can pick courses and you’re not getting a message that says something along the lines of “not able to continue”, you’re not screwed��.
Don't worry about the Level 1 thing, the AA should fix that when you get placed in your program. Most likely it says you're on academic probation because you didn't pick a program, but that will get fixed once you're in one. The only other reason you'd be getting an academic probation message is if your CA (Cumulative Average) is between 3-3.4. If that's the case, you can't be placed in an honours program and you have to work hard this year to get your grades up or you'll get kicked out:(.
Right now just focus on choosing your classes and if you don’t get emailed back by Tuesday morning, call them.
You’re welcome, I hope everything works out for you!