MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSU Undercovers is Closing... Claim Your Books nogood205 MacInsiders Announcements 12 04-20-2010 10:13 PM
Sci 2b03/Big question discussion board closed sycoman Academics 52 12-18-2009 02:47 AM
SOLAR Closing Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-14-2008 08:07 AM
MSU Maroons Closing Ceremonies Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-18-2008 08:39 AM
SOLAR closing till Aug 7th Chad Academics 0 07-26-2007 05:56 PM

Prof closing discussion board

Old 04-18-2010 at 10:36 PM   #31
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassanova View Post
I also wanted to add that everyone makes mistakes. The Exam for the course wasn't perfect. If you do have concerns wait for your mark, and then go see her which is what I plan on doing. Bring your proof and explain why you deserve marks and discuses the questions that were unfair. Making fun of others especially the Professor is really uncalled for.
How were they making fun of her?
That's risky to do on ELM. Students could probably get in trouble for that :/
Old 04-18-2010 at 10:40 PM   #32
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Why is making fun of others, "especially" the professor uncalled for?

How is making fun of a prof any different from making fun of anyone else?

Oh, just the fact that they're getting paid a crapload of money and SHOULD be familiar with the material they teach? That would make it reasonable to be more critical of them, not less.
Old 04-18-2010 at 11:21 PM   #33
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

ive been studying so havent been following the discussion but I didnt see a SINGLE post making fun of her. People were complaining about the fact that there were tonnes of grammar and spelling mistakes on the exam. Some of the questions didnt even make sense.

I dont care if the exam is hard, the prof has every right to make it hard, but making questions that dont make sense watsoever is a little unfair. She shouldve atleast put some thing on elm saying that she is closing the discussion board for so and so reason.

Anywho, lets see what happens.
Old 04-18-2010 at 11:33 PM   #34
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Why is making fun of others, "especially" the professor uncalled for?

How is making fun of a prof any different from making fun of anyone else?

Oh, just the fact that they're getting paid a crapload of money and SHOULD be familiar with the material they teach? That would make it reasonable to be more critical of them, not less.

If she doesn't know what shes doing complain to the department, they hired her. It's kinda their fault if she's incompetent and that's not acceptable. But I think most people agree bashing a professor because a bird course isn't easy anymore is also not acceptable. So depends, are people complaining that shes incompetent or that the exam was too hard?

Gabriella* likes this.
Old 04-18-2010 at 11:51 PM   #35
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycoman View Post
... People were complaining about the fact that there were tonnes of grammar and spelling mistakes on the exam. Some of the questions didnt even make sense.

I dont care if the exam is hard, the prof has every right to make it hard, but making questions that dont make sense watsoever is a little unfair. She shouldve atleast put some thing on elm saying that she is closing the discussion board for so and so reason. ...
Agreed. See: Riller, Natural Disasters.

One of my profs this term who is from the US was telling our class about how in the States they "teach" professors how to make multiple choice tests. She said she learned a lot of the profs were creating questions that were too tricky for students to understand, and students were forced to try to figure out what the question meant instead of just answering it. That's so unfair to students and can be so frustrating when writing an exam!
Old 04-19-2010 at 12:38 AM   #36
person33

Liked: 53 Times

i think that the problem with the exam was that she used words that people did not know what they meant and then the invigilators did not know what they meant either, and were not able to explain them
Old 04-19-2010 at 02:00 PM   #37
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
How were they making fun of her?
That's risky to do on ELM. Students could probably get in trouble for that :/
well some were insulting her accent and the way she uses grammar and spelling on the tests. Other poke direct fun at her by indirectly by making fun of her weight. Its mean!
Old 04-19-2010 at 02:14 PM   #38
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

it is getting worse and worse to be a prof these days, all because of you people.
Old 04-19-2010 at 02:33 PM   #39
Alchemist11
Elite Member

^ Lol

Anyway, grammar and spelling on tests that do not convey accurate meaning or make the test unnecessarily complicated should be made fun of.

They expect us to write perfect essays, taking off marks anytime a sentence isn't written in a perfect way, and profs can have tons of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in a few questions?
Old 04-19-2010 at 03:04 PM   #40
Bobble

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Oh, just the fact that they're getting paid a crapload of money . . .
Ah yes, professors, the nouveau riche. How much is a crapload these days? How much do professors make?

Quote:
They expect us to write perfect essays, taking off marks anytime a sentence isn't written in a perfect way, and profs can have tons of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in a few questions?
The prof in natural disasters marked your grammar on an exam?
Old 04-19-2010 at 03:31 PM   #41
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I don't know about Natural Disasters, but in a lot of Humanities courses grammar and spelling are important, even on exams (short answer/essay components).
Old 04-19-2010 at 03:52 PM   #42
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I used an essay as an example, not Natural Disasters.

And as someone else had said, yes, in some courses they do look at spelling/grammar of the answers written.

It's stupid that a professor can't read over a test and catch the blatant and numerous spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. If they don't care enough to, we shouldn't have to care enough to check over any written assignments we hand in.
Old 04-19-2010 at 03:59 PM   #43
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
I used an essay as an example, not Natural Disasters.

And as someone else had said, yes, in some courses they do look at spelling/grammar of the answers written.

It's stupid that a professor can't read over a test and catch the blatant and numerous spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. If they don't care enough to, we shouldn't have to care enough to check over any written assignments we hand in.
False. The professor has already been through all the bullshit of undergrad. You have not.

Gabriella* likes this.
Old 04-19-2010 at 04:13 PM   #44
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I think if profs don't have English as one of their strong points, they should be encouraged to have their labs/assignments/tests/exams looked over by someone else before using them.

One of my teachers wasn't exactly great at English first semester, and it took quite a bit of time to decipher what he wanted us to do for labs sometimes.

sniderj likes this.
Old 04-19-2010 at 04:33 PM   #45
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
False. The professor has already been through all the bullshit of undergrad. You have not.
Making it more likely that the professor SHOULD know what he/she is doing? That's my point exactly: they're supposed to be good at what they do considering they've been good enough to get a phd. Being lazy and not getting others to check over work before using it for tests/assignments/whatever should not be excused, just because they've passed undergrad; something ridiculously easy to do anyway (although getting a phd is clearly more difficult to successfully complete).