MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you wipe sitting down or standing up? ViktorVaughn General Discussion 61 10-21-2010 06:09 PM
First Year Notes + Mugsi PROTIP Inferno First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 31 08-15-2010 10:42 PM
2010 Alumni Trivia Challenge: Are You Smarter Than a Guelph Grad? lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 06-15-2010 03:52 PM
Can't Make It Keenu Academics 11 03-27-2010 09:26 PM
Off Campus Series Two Part Four: The Front Closet lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 2 04-17-2008 07:00 AM

Protip: Sitting in the front row does not make you smarter

Old 10-30-2010 at 08:13 PM   #16
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
Leg crossing is impossible without hurting someone or dropping something
The worst is when people are trying to like...sit in the empty seats further in the row...and in an attemp to get there harrass everyone in their path.

Atleast you dont have that problem in decent lecture rooms ORRRRR if you sit at the front
Old 10-30-2010 at 08:44 PM   #17
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

I sit in the front row in every class. It's not because I think it helps me learn, but I just love the extra leg room.

edit: excerpt from an article:

"Previous studies have shown a relationship between where a student sits in a classroom and the student's grade. Generally, students who self-select the front of the classroom are better students overall, earn higher grades, and perform better than those in other seating locations (see, for example, Totusek and Staton-Spicer 1982; Holliman and Anderson 1986). In a recent study, Benedict and Hoag (2004) found that while seating preferences (which may be associate with personality or other individual characteristics) correlate with a student's grades, physical location inside the classroom, regardless of seating preference, was also an important determinant of grades. They found that students who were forced to sit towards the front of the classroom despite a preference for sitting in the back of the room tended to receive higher grades (Benedict and Hoag 2004). This suggests that grades might improve if students were to change where they sit in the room."

Last edited by Replekia : 10-30-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-30-2010 at 08:52 PM   #18
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Protip: Change your toothbrush every three months
Old 10-30-2010 at 08:54 PM   #19
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
Im serious. Ever sit in ITB AB102? The leg room is terrible...so I sit at the front

JHE 376 is brutal too.

I find HSC 1A1 and MDCL to all be fairly good with leg room.
ITB AB 102 is bad, but I have to say TSH B128 (or B127?) is the worst.
Old 10-30-2010 at 08:56 PM   #20
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

I rarely sit in the front row, especially in classes that uses slides. Hurts my neck.

But I still sit fairly close to the front, because my eyes are failing me and to avoid listening to random obnoxious convos often from the back rows.
Old 10-30-2010 at 08:57 PM   #21
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
I sit in the front row in every class. It's not because I think it helps me learn, but I just love the extra leg room.

edit: excerpt from an article:

"Previous studies have shown a relationship between where a student sits in a classroom and the student's grade. Generally, students who self-select the front of the classroom are better students overall, earn higher grades, and perform better than those in other seating locations (see, for example, Totusek and Staton-Spicer 1982; Holliman and Anderson 1986). In a recent study, Benedict and Hoag (2004) found that while seating preferences (which may be associate with personality or other individual characteristics) correlate with a student's grades, physical location inside the classroom, regardless of seating preference, was also an important determinant of grades. They found that students who were forced to sit towards the front of the classroom despite a preference for sitting in the back of the room tended to receive higher grades (Benedict and Hoag 2004). This suggests that grades might improve if students were to change where they sit in the room."
I'm deviating from my troll posts for a second here to say that I don't always sit in the front row(s) and have an A average... so although these studies exist, it ultimately depends on the person, not where they decide to plop their butts down. I know a lot of people who sit in the front row and have C and even D averages, in some of the same courses :/

Old 10-30-2010 at 08:59 PM   #22
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post

I FORGOT ABOUT TSH B128 lsdjhfsldjhgsldjghslj dhgsldhg

Maegs likes this.
Old 10-30-2010 at 09:01 PM   #23
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
I'm deviating from my troll posts for a second here to say that I don't always sit in the front row(s) and have an A average... so although these studies exist, it ultimately depends on the person, not where they decide to plop their butts down. I know a lot of people who sit in the front row and have C and even D averages, in some of the same courses :/
reading the whole article actually suggests that even within subjects you perform better at the front. i.e. your C/D friends at the front might be D/F students at the back. It's probably because if you're sitting at the front it's harder to ignore the prof, especially if you have one of those profs who will stare you down if you start dozing off.

It's actually kind of interesting.

However sitting in the front does in no way whatsoever give validation to bashing a course when the weakest link is obviously you.
Old 10-30-2010 at 09:02 PM   #24
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
reading the whole article actually suggests that even within subjects you perform better at the front. i.e. your C/D friends at the front might be D/F students at the back. It's probably because if you're sitting at the front it's harder to ignore the prof, especially if you have one of those profs who will stare you down if you start dozing off.
trust me man I've flat out fallen asleep in the front row, I have no shame

anon491 likes this.
Old 10-30-2010 at 09:04 PM   #25
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
trust me man I've flat out fallen asleep in the front row, I have no shame
I wish I could pull that off. It takes me 3 hours to fall asleep in my own bed let alone those horribly uncomfortable lecture hall chairs
Old 10-30-2010 at 09:06 PM   #26
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
I wish I could pull that off. It takes me 3 hours to fall asleep in my own bed let alone those horribly uncomfortable lecture hall chairs
last week I fell asleep in genetics and woke up drooling, which i promptly began choking on in panic, then the whole room turned around and stared me down (i was sitting near the top)

many lulz were had

Old 10-30-2010 at 09:12 PM   #27
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

ive fallen asleep in the last two genetics lectures (fourth row)... couldnt hear the prof anyway
Old 10-30-2010 at 09:27 PM   #28
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
CNH B107 is horrendous. Enough room to sit down. That's about it.

Old 10-30-2010 at 09:40 PM   #29
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

I had to sit in one of the top rows during a genetics lecture last week; it was akin to stepping into another world... people were constantly talking to each other, texting on their phone, playing games on their laptops, staring at the ceiling, etc. I think it had a lot to do with the professor not speaking up... he always starts his point off really loud ("The mechanism for this event is relatively important...") then trails off when he gives the actual explanation. Kind of aggravating.

Oh, and the test marks are up.

Last edited by Toast : 10-30-2010 at 09:42 PM.

Needlenose likes this.
Old 10-30-2010 at 09:45 PM   #30
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
I had to sit in one of the top rows during a genetics lecture last week; it was akin to stepping into another world... people were constantly talking to each other, texting on their phone, playing games on their laptops, staring at the ceiling, etc. I think it had a lot to do with the professor not speaking up... he always starts his point off really loud ("The mechanism for this event is relatively important...") then trails off when he gives the actual explanation. Kind of aggravating.

Oh, and the test marks are up.
lol... telomere requires grablkehams,nfajfkaif kjfks ......