xbox 360. timmyblacks General Discussion 10 04-06-2009 10:56 AM
Got Xbox LIVE? AnguishedEnd Gaming 38 11-18-2008 07:48 AM
What do XBOX ads look like in India? Chad Gaming 3 11-24-2006 02:08 PM

PS3 vs XBOX 360?

Old 03-14-2011 at 12:47 AM   #1
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

PS3 vs XBOX 360?
I am going to buy either one. Unable to decide though. Your inputs would be helpful. Which in your opinion should I buy and why?
Old 03-14-2011 at 12:50 AM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Although i prefer playstation over xbox in general, the 360 > PS3 because its more versatile.
Old 03-14-2011 at 12:52 AM   #3
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

'nough said

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 03-14-2011 at 01:02 AM   #4
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

PS3!

+ free network
Old 03-14-2011 at 01:25 AM   #5
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

You can do anything on either other than exclusive games. So if you want Halo and gears of war get an xbox, if you want little big planet or socom(?) get a ps3
Old 03-14-2011 at 01:29 AM   #6
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikJ View Post
I am going to buy either one. Unable to decide though. Your inputs would be helpful. Which in your opinion should I buy and why?
First, what kind of games do you enjoy? Name some off.

Last edited by Grover : 03-14-2011 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Bolded.
Old 03-14-2011 at 01:30 AM   #7
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Which one is easier to mod and download free trial of full version game?
Old 03-14-2011 at 01:30 AM   #8
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Generally comes down to your preference in games (+ exclusives for the systems).

But even just looking at the hardware, PS3 owns the 360 (fairly recent comparison by IGN).

+ I love the lightweight PS3 controller compared to the 360's
Got my PS3 launch week

Entropy likes this.
Old 03-14-2011 at 01:57 AM   #9
giftedchick
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
PS3!

+ free network
i 4got to add:
bluray
USB
bluetooth
and oh ye... free network
Old 03-14-2011 at 02:31 AM   #10
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
i 4got to add:
bluray
USB
bluetooth
and oh ye... free network
I will admit that the "no online fee" is a bonus. However, if you are serious about online console gaming, you will be willing to pay the fee for Xbox Live. It's the superior service. Especially if you are not proficient in networking.

Also, "USB" ...what exactly?

Last edited by Grover : 03-14-2011 at 02:34 AM.
Old 03-14-2011 at 02:37 AM   #11
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovad View Post
I will admit that the "no online fee" is a bonus. However, if you are serious about online console gaming, you will be willing to pay the fee for Xbox Live. It's the superior service. Especially if you are not proficient in networking.

It's not nice to spread false rumors. If you can connect to the internet on a laptop, you can just as well do it on the PS3.
And there is nothing superior about Xbox Live for the subscription fee they charge.
Old 03-14-2011 at 03:08 AM   #12
giftedchick
Elite Member

Quote:

ive herd USB devices tend to work better on the ps3.. for example: ive heard u cannot use a regular usb headset on 360
Old 03-14-2011 at 03:40 AM   #13
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
If you can connect to the internet on a laptop, you can just as well do it on the PS3.
Yes. However, I've heard nothing but complaints from numerous people residing in the United States, particularly those using Time Warner as their ISP. Granted, it's a terrible internet provider. But, Xbox Live is more prominent and prestigious, and, as a result, more internet providers and networking equipment come prepared to treat it optimally.

I, myself, and several others, were having PSN connectivity issues with Cogeco as our ISP about a year ago. I could not adequately connect to PSN for -months-. No one was of help. It finally resolved itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
[T]here is nothing superior about Xbox Live for the subscription fee they charge.
Cross-game party chat. Microsoft's timed exclusive downloadable content deals. Sleeker, more polished, easier-to-use online user interface. Microsoft's treatment of the Xbox Live Community is unparalleled (with the possible exception of Valve/Steam).

Hell, when Yamauchi, the man behind one of Playstation's most renowned franchises, admits that the PS3 does not have "a rich online [service] like Xbox Live" things cannot be good.

Playstation 2's online service was a joke. Xbox Live excelled with the release of Halo 2. Microsoft immediately jumped on that bandwagon from the very beginning of this generation ("-every- Xbox 360 game will work with Xbox Live in some manner or form"). If you are serious about online gaming on a console, you will buy a Xbox 360 and pay the fee.
Old 03-14-2011 at 04:07 AM   #14
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Yes. However, I've heard nothing but complaints from numerous people residing in the United States, particularly those using Time Warner as their ISP. Granted, it's a terrible internet provider. But, Xbox Live is more prominent and prestigious, and, as a result, more internet providers and networking equipment come prepared to treat it optimally.

I, myself, and several others, were having PSN connectivity issues with Cogeco as our ISP about a year ago. I could not adequately connect to PSN for -months-. No one was of help. It finally resolved itself.

Cross-game party chat. Microsoft's timed exclusive downloadable content deals. Sleeker, more polished, easier-to-use online user interface. Microsoft's treatment of the Xbox Live Community is unparalleled (with the possible exception of Valve/Steam).

Hell, when Yamauchi, the man behind one of Playstation's most renowned franchises, admits that the PS3 does not have "a rich online [service] like Xbox Live" things cannot be good.

Playstation 2's online service was a joke. Xbox Live excelled with the release of Halo 2. Microsoft immediately jumped on that bandwagon from the very beginning of this generation ("-every- Xbox 360 game will work with Xbox Live in some manner or form"). If you are serious about online gaming on a console, you will buy a Xbox 360 and pay the fee.
I have both systems, and I would say that i havent had any difficulty with internet connection on my PS 3. PS 3 has better exclusives overall and better graphics in their games (although sometimes its hard to tell). I would buy a PS 3 unless you are planning to mod your system.

Not to mention blu-ray player as well.
Old 03-14-2011 at 05:42 AM   #15
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice8 View Post
PS 3 has better exclusives overall and better graphics in their games (although sometimes its hard to tell).
The PS3 has better exclusives, yes. Sony carefully markets their big name, exclusive titles as being "only possible on the PS3" due to its powerful Cell processor and large Blu-ray discs. However, if they aren't interested in Sony's major franchises, such as Uncharted, God of War, Team Ico, and so on, then it's a moot argument.

Does the same go for the Xbox 360? Not necessarily. If most of the games the OP is interested in are multi-platform, then I suggest the Xbox 360 over the PS3. Why? Because multi-platform games are typically more reliable/perform better on the Xbox 360. This is because most current games are built for the Xbox 360. It's easier to develop for, and consequently this has attracted a plethora of indie developers.

Off the top of my head: look up the initial Red Dead Redemption PS3 issues from last year if you do not believe me.