Xbox in residence revenant Gaming 6 09-22-2010 07:14 PM
xbox 360. timmyblacks General Discussion 10 04-06-2009 10:56 AM
Got Xbox LIVE? AnguishedEnd Gaming 38 11-18-2008 07:48 AM
What do XBOX ads look like in India? Chad Gaming 3 11-24-2006 02:08 PM

PS3 vs XBOX 360?

Old 03-14-2011 at 06:09 AM   #16
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

I am a casual gamer to be honest. I am buying a console for the reason that I don't have to upgrade my desktop every 6 months. I want the console to last me at least 2 years and if it does that I will be more than happy. I have heard rumours that PS4 wouldn't come before 2013. While we may see a new xbox next year. I don't know how much of that is true though.
Old 03-14-2011 at 06:18 AM   #17
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikJ View Post
I have heard rumours that PS4 wouldn't come before 2013. While we may see a new xbox next year. I don't know how much of that is true though.
The PS3, according to Sony's ten year lifespan guarantee, will be supported until at least 2016.

Microsoft, according to recent news reports, is just -now- looking into designing their next-generation system. Hiring and all. Apparently they've bet a lot on Kinect.
Old 03-14-2011 at 07:21 AM   #18
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

What kind of genre of games do you like? X360 is a much better console if you're into FPS, but I'd say PS3 has more for the casual gamer/RPG fan.
Old 03-14-2011 at 07:22 AM   #19
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Which one is easier to mod and download free trial of full version game?
I would like to know the answer to this too!
Old 03-14-2011 at 07:27 AM   #20
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Presently impossible on PS3, difficult on X360.

However, it appears that there may be a steam client for PS3 in the works so PS3 games will probably get alot cheaper.
Old 03-14-2011 at 07:31 AM   #21
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
Presently impossible on PS3, difficult on X360.

However, it appears that there may be a steam client for PS3 in the works so PS3 games will probably get alot cheaper.
Cheaper still ain't good enough when compared to free.

Thanks for the response. And uhm... Good morning.
Old 03-14-2011 at 07:38 AM   #22
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
I am a casual gamer to be honest. I am buying a console for the reason that I don't have to upgrade my desktop every 6 months. I want the console to last me at least 2 years and if it does that I will be more than happy. I have heard rumours that PS4 wouldn't come before 2013. While we may see a new xbox next year. I don't know how much of that is true though.
Unless you have a lot of friends with 360 or plan to play online competitively, you should probably get a PS3. Basically, for someone in your situation: Better Hardware + more exclusives in the pipeline + free online > better online features.

Quote:
What kind of genre of games do you like? X360 is a much better console if you're into FPS, but I'd say PS3 has more for the casual gamer/RPG fan.
360 has a better online FPS community, but PS3 is starting to pull in more FPS exclusives (killzone 3, Resistance 3, Socom 4, timed exclusivity for UT3, etc. vs Halo and Gears). Also, 360 has had much more RPGs than PS3 this generation...

Quote:
If you're purely looking to pirate, Wii is the best option, followed by 360 (they will ban your console if you play online though), and then PS3 (Which recently got hacked)
Old 03-14-2011 at 08:22 AM   #23
santiagoeb

Liked: 4 Times

did not read all the comments above. that being said, i have both of them, and i have to go all in for the ps3. exclusive games like killzone, god of war, uncharted, and little big planet own the 360 big time. i have fable 2 & 3, and gears of war 1 & 2 for the 360, and still prefer the ps3. in matter of hardware, ps3 saved me a couple hundred bucks (if not more) for the controllers are rechargeable and the wireless adapter is built in (let alone networking fees). so far i have noticed absolutely no difference between network quality, and after paying for two years of xbox live i decided it was not worth it. Also, i have to give to the ps3 the fact that i can use the same bluetooth i use with my phone, something i have not been able to do with the 360. even then, although i dont agree, i have heard that the 360's controller is somewhat of an ergonomic controller for shooting games or something like that. i prefer the lightweight, battery saving ps3 controller. if i missed anything ill comment again
Old 03-14-2011 at 08:27 AM   #24
REPLEKIA/.

just to add a reason for ps3>x360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
If you're purely looking to pirate, Wii is the best option, followed by 360 (they will ban your console if you play online though), and then PS3 (Which recently got hacked)
But the hacks for the PS3 never got released, and there is no way in hell Sony's legal team is going to let Geohot (or anyone for that matter) release a ps3 hack(they've shut down 3 hacking groups that I know of to date). Sony really doesn't want another PSP fiasco for the PS3 or NGP. So I feel it's safe to say there will never be a publicly available ps3 hack.

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 03-14-2011 at 08:30 AM.

ShadowPlay likes this.
Old 03-14-2011 at 09:13 AM   #25
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Quote:
Source?

Quote:
Also, 360 has had much more RPGs than PS3 this generation...
No way. What -good- exclusive RPGs does the Xbox 360 have excluding Fable II, Mass Effect (available on PC as well), and Lost Odyssey?

PS3 has Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls (God Tier). The current best two games (also RPGs) of this generation.

At least the Xbox 360 is getting Dark Souls later this year.
Old 03-14-2011 at 09:14 AM   #26
AlchemistX

Liked: 11 Times

I was really big on playstation growing up because of RPGs, especially Final Fantasy and I loved Socom. But once they moved FF to 360 and I really wanted Halo I went for Xbox and its a lot of fun. Also almost all my friends have a 360 so its easier to borrow games and play with them online.
Old 03-14-2011 at 10:58 AM   #27
KYLB0T

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Based on this, I would suggest a Ps3, since it can do lots of other stuff other than playing games. Personally, mine gets used just as much if not more for media compared to games. For example if you download lots of shows, you can stick them on a thumbdrive and watch them on your tv as opposed to your monitor. As people have already mentioned, it is a good Blu-Ray player as well.

Right now my xbox is mainly used a halo machine, with the odd cod 4 thrown in. My Ps3 sees loads of action from Gran Turismo 5 and little big planet, so game wise it really depends on your interests.
Old 03-14-2011 at 11:50 AM   #28
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
But the hacks for the PS3 never got released, and there is no way in hell Sony's legal team is going to let Geohot (or anyone for that matter) release a ps3 hack(they've shut down 3 hacking groups that I know of to date). Sony really doesn't want another PSP fiasco for the PS3 or NGP. So I feel it's safe to say there will never be a publicly available ps3 hack.
GeoHotz hack was publicly released (there was also another publicly released hack prior to that), someone even tricked kevin butler into retweeting the master key generated from GeoHotz hack. Also, people have confirmed games working on hacked PS3s on quite a few underground sites (as well as instructions on how to do it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovad View Post
Source?

No way. What -good- exclusive RPGs does the Xbox 360 have excluding Fable II, Mass Effect (available on PC as well), and Lost Odyssey?

PS3 has Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls (God Tier). The current best two games (also RPGs) of this generation.

At least the Xbox 360 is getting Dark Souls later this year.
Final Fantasy 11, The Last Remnant, Lost Odyssey, Fable 2/3, Magna Carta, Star Ocean 4, Blue Dragon, and Tales of Vesperia are all either 360 exclusive or came out on 360 and were ported to PS3 over a year later. VC and Demon's Souls are awesome though, but 360 does have a wider RPG selection so far...
Old 03-14-2011 at 12:43 PM   #29
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
GeoHotz hack was publicly released (there was also another publicly released hack prior to that), someone even tricked kevin butler into retweeting the master key generated from GeoHotz hack. Also, people have confirmed games working on hacked PS3s on quite a few underground sites (as well as instructions on how to do it).

Final Fantasy 11, The Last Remnant, Lost Odyssey, Fable 2/3, Magna Carta, Star Ocean 4, Blue Dragon, and Tales of Vesperia are all either 360 exclusive or came out on 360 and were ported to PS3 over a year later. VC and Demon's Souls are awesome though, but 360 does have a wider RPG selection so far...
Seems I need to keep up with ps3 hacking better =P

Also Star Ocean 4 was released for the PS3 (albeit a tad later), I actually own it.
Old 03-14-2011 at 12:58 PM   #30
Carefree

Liked: 25 Times

Modding on the 360 is a MUCH smoother experience than on the PS3. The PS3 needs to be modded via USB and is something that just got discovered a few months ago. Plus, if you upgrade your PS3 to the latest version online, your USB mod will not work anymore. XBOX has been moddable for quite a few years and the learning curve is so easy. Just download an ISO of your game, download open free burning software (ImgBurn), Burn the ISO to a DL-DVD and play it. PS3, you must buy a USB soft mod, make sure you mod it properly by following a bunch of instructions, then download the PS3 game, copy it to a hard drive in some special manner, mount the disc image from the software you previously installed on the PS3 then play. I don't have a PS3 but my friends do and they complain about how buggy the modding process is. I have never had one issue with my XBOX mod, working flawlessly since day 1.