PS3 vs XBOX 360?

Old 03-15-2011 at 11:40 AM   #46
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
Does anyone care to elaborate? I'm not taking sides. I'm just curious.
No idea what they were talking about. The Xbox 360's controller is great, especially for first person shooters. And it was the same for the original Xbox's too (well, minus those gargantuan ones that were eventually rooted out after launch).

I know that many people side with the DualShock though, because it is the controller that they grew up with.
Old 03-15-2011 at 11:55 AM   #47
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovad View Post
No idea what they were talking about. The Xbox 360's controller is great, especially for first person shooters. And it was the same for the original Xbox's too (well, minus those gargantuan ones that were eventually rooted out after launch).

I know that many people side with the DualShock though, because it is the controller that they grew up with.
The X360 is a very nice controller, but the DS3 is simply superior ergonomically. Since it is less bulky, you can grasp the controller rather than having to cradle it, which is helpful for when you need to be button mashing, as it's easier on the hand. the d-pad on the DS3 is far more functional due to the separation of the 4 directions, which lets it be more accurate than shoving around that one solid chunk of plastic. The award for best triggers goes to the Xbox 360 though, they feel a little too 'squishy' of a push on the DS3. And while I am aware that this bit may be more of a personal preference, I will never understand what the hell is up with placement of the joysticks for xbox. Usually you will be using both joysticks at the same time, so why the hell should we be required to assume two entirely different positions for our hands? especially when the position for your left thumb is so amazingly unnatural.

As for appearance, I think Xbox wins, but that really isn't important for playing experience.
Old 03-15-2011 at 08:50 PM   #48
Carefree

Liked: 25 Times

Prior to getting the XBOX360 I used the PS style controller for many years and continue to use it today in PS3 tournaments with my friends. In my opinion, the XBOX controller is much more comfortable and feels more "ergonomic" than the PS3.
Old 03-16-2011 at 12:09 PM   #49
Jman.

Liked: 14 Times

It matters what types of games you want to play, how much of a social thing you're using the console as, and which system has more exclusive games you want to play (360 has the newer halo games, PS3 has Killzone, etc). I'm not sure, though I believe the 360 is set up more for casually playing with your friends, and is fairly well suited for fighting games such as MvC. The PS3 has better hardware and some fairly steady exclusive titles coming out often enough, though it's more expensive I believe.

If you're just planning on playing fps games competitively without friends, don't use a console.
Old 03-16-2011 at 12:17 PM   #50
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Do the 360s they still sell get the red ring of death?

Get a PS3. The systems have pretty much the same games except for a few. The few exclusives are better on the PS3. Online is the exact same for both systems.
Old 03-16-2011 at 11:31 PM   #51
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Do the 360s they still sell get the red ring of death?
To my knowledge, no. The Xbox 360 S, the current model, supposedly shuts itself down if it reaches critical temperatures. The model itself is still prone to hardware problems, obviously, but the numbers of cases have dropped dramatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Online is the exact same for both systems.
Again, Xbox 360 has cross-game party chat, a sleeker online UI, exceptional community support, and so forth. They definitely -aren't- the "exact same for both systems" and I have not even brought up price point yet.
Old 03-16-2011 at 11:42 PM   #52
patela77

Liked: 0 Times

it's all up to personal preference... I've been a xbox guy from the beginning and you can't go wrong with chosing xbox! good luck with your pick. ALSO if you're planning on playing online... chose the one that a lot of your friends have... that way you can play with them (Y)
Old 03-17-2011 at 12:30 AM   #53
Chandlerowns

Liked: 67 Times

He already picked PS3. This argument was won by PS3 long ago. Time for a victory dance.