MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psych 1X03 davey 1st Year Course Reviews 114 05-30-2014 10:59 AM
Psych 1x03 kuruczpa Academics 9 09-13-2010 09:08 PM
psych 1x03 Alessia First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-18-2009 01:27 PM
Psych 1X03 niteskie General Discussion 6 09-09-2009 10:36 PM
do i need psych 1x03 AND psych 1xs3 for honours life science brendanp Academics 6 07-28-2009 02:38 PM

Psych 1X03

Old 11-02-2009 at 05:12 PM   #61
Biee

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetemp View Post
psychology IS a science class. The dept is in the faculty of science. i'm pretty sure you need this course and bio to take the term 2 one.
Hmm, I thought psychology was in the faculty of social science. But yeah, you have to this this one and bio in order to take the 2nd one.
Old 11-02-2009 at 05:28 PM   #62
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biee View Post
Hmm, I thought psychology was in the faculty of social science. But yeah, you have to this this one and bio in order to take the 2nd one.
It's in both.

If you want a B.A. you can go through Soc Sci.
If you want a B.Sc. you can go through Science.
Old 11-02-2009 at 05:35 PM   #63
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Well, Psychology used to be in Social Science but they slowly phased it out to join the Science department.
Old 11-02-2009 at 06:50 PM   #64
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biee View Post
It's under the faculty of Science, but us social sciences are able to take it without any problems, so long as we have bio.
Old 11-02-2009 at 07:14 PM   #65
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I figure I'd post to show another side.

I didn't find time an issue at all - I could have left after half an hour if I wanted, but stayed for an extra 15 to triple check.

I might be my background coming into university (I'm the fastest test taker I know, always have been. Last year, for SL history paper two, we had to write two full essays in an hour and a half. Both of them were over 7 pages when I was done), but this midterm was exceedingly fair, and we were given waaaay more resources than we should have gotten. The questions were not long nor difficult to understand - the bolding made it really quick to read.

Anyway, like I said, i don't know if it's my bakground or my test-style (just being naturally fast without compromising correctness, if you can call it a style) but I didn't have an issue with it.

Sure, I don't know how I actually did, but my point is I didn't think it was unreasonably hard or long while I wrote it. I think most of the issue is people coming for highschool and never being exposed to actually thinking through things and making connections (again, my background gave me a lot of practice in that, so I think I have a bit of an advantage), as opposed ot the length or difficulty of the test itself.

Long story short, I think the major issue is the transition from highschool to university, not how mean Dr.Kim is.
hey anther ib kid
Old 11-02-2009 at 07:50 PM   #66
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

I didn't know the Biology midterm was all math and procedural work!

Dushoff put logic questions there that had nothing to do with anything. I don't suspect those were "procedural" or "math related", but they were still terribly easy compared to this midterm's questions.
Old 11-03-2009 at 01:57 AM   #67
Melpomene

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetemp View Post
psychology IS a science class. The dept is in the faculty of science. i'm pretty sure you need this course and bio to take the term 2 one.
I'm with the social science faculty, and while I think parts of psychology are science, I think some parts are also more of a social science, hence why it's through both departments and some of the upper year courses can be taken by people who aren't in a science-related program. If that makes sense? I could be entirely wrong on this, that's just how I look at it.
Old 11-06-2009 at 04:46 PM   #68
Inferno

Liked: 24 Times

So I learned today the class average for the midterm was between 57-59%.
What are your reactions to this?
Personally, I found the midterm to be much more difficult than it needed to be.
You know something's wrong when a class average for a Psych test is lower than the class average for arguably more 'challenging' courses like Chem 1A03, Math 1A03, Physics 1B03.. like seriously, wtf?

I guess this is more persuasion for me to drop 1XX3 next semester.

Last edited by Inferno : 11-06-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Alchemist11 likes this.
Old 11-06-2009 at 04:49 PM   #69
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

YEAH! Exactly. I said earlier that it's weird how Psych is suddenly more difficult than Physics Chem and Math. Psych was 'supposed' to be an easy course. If it's not easy that's fine, but it's most people's hardest course now.
Old 11-06-2009 at 04:50 PM   #70
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
So I learned today the class average for the midterm was between 57-59%?
What are your comments to this?
It's lower than Chem, Bio, Math 1A03, Physics 1B03.. like seriously, wtf is going on with Psych? More reason to drop 1XX3 next semester.
Psych has the most students in the course. The material of Psych can't be compared to the courses you have given (Math and Physics is theory and numbers, Chem is reactions). Therefore, theoretically, a lot of people aren't in their "comfort zone". That's how I felt last year anyways. I really didn't like learning psych.
Old 11-06-2009 at 04:55 PM   #71
Buttle

Liked: 58 Times

Quote:
What are your reactions to this?
Personally, I found the midterm to be much more difficult than it needed to be.
You know something's wrong when a class average for a Psych test is lower than the class average for arguably more 'challenging' courses like Chem 1A03, Math 1A03, Physics 1B03.. like seriously, wtf?

I guess this is more persuasion for me to drop 1XX3 next semester.

That's low, but not unheard of at all.
Old 11-06-2009 at 05:04 PM   #72
Inferno

Liked: 24 Times

Yeah, I know it's not unheard of, but I wouldn't expect this at all from an Introductory Psychology class. I would associate low class averages with courses like Chem, and Physics.
Old 11-06-2009 at 05:07 PM   #73
Buttle

Yeah well, all things being considered the class average really does not have a great significance to you. Anybody writing the test had a chance to get 100 independant of how other students did. Dr Kim is usually pretty fair, so I'd blame the aptitude of the students instead.

Lois likes this.
Old 11-06-2009 at 05:11 PM   #74
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Typical university average for first year courses is around C/C+, with upper year classes being a C+/B-

It's perhaps a little bit low (D+) but nothing outlandish. My Poli Sci 2XX3 midterm class average was 55% several years ago.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-06-2009 at 05:17 PM   #75
Buttle

In bio2a03 we had two midterms with averages like 50-55% percent. We were told to suck it up, and we did.