MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
taking psych 2b03 with only psych 1x03? keiser=) First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 12-31-2011 09:50 PM
Psych 1X03??? gabrielle.lr First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-15-2011 01:26 PM
Psych 1x03 kuruczpa Academics 9 09-13-2010 09:08 PM
do i need psych 1x03 AND psych 1xs3 for honours life science brendanp Academics 6 07-28-2009 02:38 PM

Psych 1X03 and Engineering I

Old 06-19-2012 at 09:22 AM   #1
CFram

Liked: 1 Time

Psych 1X03 and Engineering I
Hi, I am going into Eng I and was thinking of taking Psych 1X03 as an elective first semester. I was wondering if anyone had done this before and how it increased their workload. Will the workload be too heavy? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2012 at 09:52 AM   #2
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

I havent personally taken this course, but two of my roommates did, they seemed to not have a problem with it. My roommate just listened to the podcasts rather than go to any lecture haha

CFram says thanks to Chris23 for this post.
Old 06-19-2012 at 10:08 AM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Its a really easy course .. if you enjoy the content you'll have no problem. Its one of those courses that you don't have to be on campus for, so in your timetable, you can ignore the timeslot, and just keep up with the 'podcasts'. (still good to go to lectures though)

Theres a few assignments and quizzes, but nothing that's a big deal.

CFram says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 06-19-2012 at 11:33 AM   #4
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

^The only thing listed for psych on your timetable is the tutorial which you can't ignore
Old 06-19-2012 at 11:48 AM   #5
Marooner

Liked: 59 Times

It is very easy to achieve 9-10/10 on participation in tutorial, I consider that free marks. You also have a research participation option called Experimetrix. Basically you sign up to be a subject in current McMaster psychology studies, for example, I watched an an hour of fight club with subtitles hooked up to an EEG measuring my brain activity. Here you are earn another 8/8% and have the weight of your exam reduced from 55% to 48%. Other than that, the quizzes can be frustrating at times, but Dr. Kim takes your top 10/13-14 ish (subject to change annually). This is a great class (in all my biasedness).

CFram says thanks to Marooner for this post.
Old 06-19-2012 at 11:59 AM   #6
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

When i took (the year the just past) it there were no test, only quizzes and final exam, so u must see that you do good on the quizzes.

This course has a fair bit of memorizing, but alot of the terms and concepts are very intuitive and engaging, so its not like your memorizing a bunch of definitions mindlessly. Also, u must go for tutorials, it really help u to understand the concept better and you getting marked for attendance.

In terms of increasing work load, I feel this course does require a bit more time than other electives, say econ. But all comes down to how much u like it. Is psych something u are genuinely interested in? If it is work from this course will not seem like a burden.

1) u have to read the text or at least skim through the chapter once for the topic being taught that week. Try spliting the readings over the course of the week.

2) U MUST watch the lectures and make notes (which will help on the quizzes)

Also, try to take a tutorial closer to the end of the week (Friday). Additionally this is course taken by MANY,so its not hard to find ppl when u need help. The person sitting right next to u in the lib could be taking it (from experience)

good luck in making a decision

CFram says thanks to jon.john23 for this post.
Old 06-19-2012 at 12:04 PM   #7
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Haha nothing requires less time than an econ course. You simply sleep through lecture, then write the test. The first year econ classes are by far the easiest courses to pass offered at mcmaster
Old 06-19-2012 at 12:16 PM   #8
CFram

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
When i took (the year the just past) it there were no test, only quizzes and final exam, so u must see that you do good on the quizzes.
So there was not a midterm for this course?
Old 06-19-2012 at 12:39 PM   #9
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

nope not one

only a quiz and final. So quizzes and tutorial participation was a big part of you mark

**** this could change, he was trying out something new on us (which is the nature of psych) we were his genie pigs.

CFram says thanks to jon.john23 for this post.
Old 06-19-2012 at 01:55 PM   #10
RandyR

If you're looking to get a high mark though don't count on psych, it can be very time consuming.