MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psych 1x03 kuruczpa Academics 9 09-13-2010 09:08 PM
psych 1x03 question dumbconsumer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-13-2010 08:30 AM
psych 1x03 tutorial question krispies123 Academics 5 09-09-2010 01:48 PM
A question about PSYCH 1X03 tauhaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-03-2010 05:40 PM
do i need psych 1x03 AND psych 1xs3 for honours life science brendanp Academics 6 07-28-2009 02:38 PM

Psych 1X03 Question

Old 06-08-2011 at 08:15 AM   #1
rebecca-cait

Liked: 0 Times

Psych 1X03 Question
I'm planning on taking Psych 1X03 in September, and in the course selection book it says there are 3 hour lectures and weekly tutorials. But when I look up the course on the schedule, it only shows core classes and they're only 50 mins in length. Where do I choose my tutorial? Also, I've heard the lectures are viewed online. If so, why are there so many options for core classes in the timetable schedule?
Old 06-08-2011 at 08:33 AM   #2
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

What are listed as Core are actually your tutorial sessions. The reason there are so many is that each has about 25-30 people (iirc) and there are thousands who take the class each year.
Old 06-08-2011 at 08:33 AM   #3
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times

For some reason the "core" classes are actually the tutorials. There are so many tutorials because there are tons of students in Psych 1X03.

The lectures are viewed online and will be available to you on avenue each week.
Old 06-08-2011 at 08:34 AM   #4
ErinD

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca-cait View Post
I'm planning on taking Psych 1X03 in September, and in the course selection book it says there are 3 hour lectures and weekly tutorials. But when I look up the course on the schedule, it only shows core classes and they're only 50 mins in length. Where do I choose my tutorial? Also, I've heard the lectures are viewed online. If so, why are there so many options for core classes in the timetable schedule?
If it hasn't changed from last year (which i suspect it hasn't) the course is all online and the core options are actually tutorials. The reason there are like 60 of them is because so many students take first year psych. I don't know about the three hour lectures but I guess that is referring to the online web modules you have to watch each week!
Old 06-08-2011 at 08:44 AM   #5
rebecca-cait

Okay thanks! So do I only need to take one tutorial for psych per week?
Old 06-08-2011 at 08:50 AM   #6
stormy64

Yep, that's how it works. You'll be in a tutorial. The course is nice, but I didn't find tutorials too helpful. You're marked on participation so make sure you attend (if you're a dedicated student).
Old 06-08-2011 at 09:21 AM   #7
dasiln

Liked: 1 Time

im pretty sure attending tutorials are basically madatory, all that really happens there is you listen to your TA talk about whichever topic the webmodule (online lecture) covered that week and then do some group activity things. asking alot of questions during tutorial is highly suggested because it shows your participating alot, a very easy 10% of your grade that you can achieve.

word to the wise, dont fall behind on the web lectures. oh and the online psych book that is optional is complety useless. save your 30 dollars..it wasnt even compatible with my laptop..
Old 06-08-2011 at 09:52 AM   #8
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Completely agree with dasiln, the e-book that Dr. Kim "recommends" you buy is a complete waste. It's a 250 page book written by him that covers basically the same information from the web lectures. Unless they've changed the course, you'll never find any question on a midterm or exam from the e-book.

Here's some other advice, complete your Experimetrix credits ASAP, if you wait too long the experiments fill up really quickly and you'll be out of luck. Experimetrix is basically experiments that upper year psych students and grad students are conducting and they need participants (ie. you) and for 1X03 if you complete 2 credits worth of experiments, your exam is weighted 5% less.