MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour (BSc) Ivydor First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-27-2012 09:29 PM
Psychology Neuroscience and Behaviour (BA) Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 04-28-2012 01:02 AM
Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour (BSc) Need2knowme Academics 5 01-11-2012 09:12 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Psych Neuroscience & Behaviour mel89 Academics 0 08-20-2009 03:11 PM

Psych, Neuroscience and Behaviour

Old 07-25-2012 at 03:31 PM   #1
karsyliss

Liked: 5 Times

Psych, Neuroscience and Behaviour
Hey you guys :-)

Okay so I have a question... I wanna major in Psych, Neuroscience and Behaviour BUT i'm not too sure where it'll lead me. So I wanted to know if I were to major in this field what are the given career options?

ALSO what's the difference between the BA and BSc of this program.

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2012 at 03:57 PM   #2
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Hello, PNB student here.

There are all sorts of careers that you can pursue with a PNB degree. A few of them include researcher, professor, clinical psychologist, psychiatrist, neurologist, doctor, speech therapist, etc. You can also find jobs in marketing, law, therapy, working with autistic or developmentally delayed children, teaching, and so on. There are so many possibilities because PNB is very diverse. If you attend the 2nd year program fair, or speak to our academic advisor in psychology, Ann Holingshead, you can get tons of advice on what kind of career paths are available.

Currently, the BA and BSc are pretty much the same. That is, we take the exact same required courses for our PNB degrees.
Old 07-25-2012 at 05:33 PM   #3
karsyliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
Hello, PNB student here.

There are all sorts of careers that you can pursue with a PNB degree. A few of them include researcher, professor, clinical psychologist, psychiatrist, neurologist, doctor, speech therapist, etc. You can also find jobs in marketing, law, therapy, working with autistic or developmentally delayed children, teaching, and so on. There are so many possibilities because PNB is very diverse. If you attend the 2nd year program fair, or speak to our academic advisor in psychology, Ann Holingshead, you can get tons of advice on what kind of career paths are available.

Currently, the BA and BSc are pretty much the same. That is, we take the exact same required courses for our PNB degrees.

Oh man the options are endless! I'm actually starting to like this program even more because of the opportunities that are being provided. So what are the courses you had to take in order to qualify for the level 2 PNB?
Old 07-25-2012 at 05:44 PM   #4
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Here's a nice rundown on the admission requirements for PNB:

http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/psy...highschool.pdf

The most important thing to focus on are the intropsych courses, 1XX3 and 1X03. You need at least a B- in both of those courses in order to qualify for admission. Also, like a lot of programs, admission to PNB is limited enrolment, so depending on the averages and number of people applying, the overall average you need to get in changes each year. It's best to get as high of a mark as possible in those two psych courses because if you end up tying with someone else for grades, they'll likely look at the intropsych courses as the deciding factor.

Assuming you're in first year, try to take electives from all sorts of subjects that interest you as well. You never know what doors will open up once you've had a taste of other topics!
Old 07-25-2012 at 05:55 PM   #5
karsyliss

Oh okay, I get what you're trying to say. So basically I just have to keep up with the required prereqs and maintain a really high mark in order to get into the Honors PNB, am I right?
Old 07-25-2012 at 11:28 PM   #6
bhatoai

Liked: 0 Times

Hey, another PNB student here!

This is the Facebook group where PNB/Biopsych students are able to answers all your questions and provide advice!
http://www.facebook.com/groups/311167642288248/
Old 07-26-2012 at 07:25 AM   #7
karsyliss

ah okay. Thank you!