MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour (BSc) Need2knowme Academics 5 01-11-2012 09:12 PM
Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour (BSc) MaryS Academics 1 02-23-2011 11:15 PM
Honours Psychology Neuroscience and Behaviour B.A. canada90 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-01-2010 03:21 PM
Honours Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour questions. Nyqtussin2 Academics 4 06-05-2010 10:40 AM

Psychology Neuroscience and Behaviour (BA)

Old 01-30-2012 at 04:39 PM   #1
Unregistered

Psychology Neuroscience and Behaviour (BA)
Hey,

I am a grade twelve student right now but I applied to the Psychology Neuroscience and Behaviour (BA) program at MAC for next year. My average right now is between 75-77% with an 81% being my highest mark (English).

I was wondering how competitive it is to get into this program, since 75% is the cut-off range for applying. Is there a chance that I'll be accepted into this program with my average? What did you guys have when you got accepted into this program at MAC? (The last question is directed towards those who are in this course).
Old 01-30-2012 at 05:31 PM   #2
Unregistered

Hello,

It is possible to get into Mac social science with a 77 average, however I would aim for about an 82 to have more of a guarantee. My friend last year got into social science with an 81.

In first year you will have to get higher marks, as PNB is a competitive program. I don't mean to scare you away, you will be fine if you take courses that you enjoy and will be motivated to work in first year.

Also, be aware that you must take Calculus in first year university. If you haven't taken it in grade 12 you can take an intro to calc course (similar as grade 12) first term and calc second term! In second year you won't need calculus for a BA, you will need to take Stats.

Hope this helps,

Krista
Old 01-30-2012 at 05:34 PM   #3
Unregistered

To clarify, although you stated in your application you are interested in the PNB program, you are entered in a general social science first year based on your high school grade 12 marks. Second year you apply to a specific major using the marks from first year university.
Old 02-19-2012 at 07:47 PM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello,

It is possible to get into Mac social science with a 77 average, however I would aim for about an 82 to have more of a guarantee. My friend last year got into social science with an 81.

In first year you will have to get higher marks, as PNB is a competitive program. I don't mean to scare you away, you will be fine if you take courses that you enjoy and will be motivated to work in first year.

Also, be aware that you must take Calculus in first year university. If you haven't taken it in grade 12 you can take an intro to calc course (similar as grade 12) first term and calc second term! In second year you won't need calculus for a BA, you will need to take Stats.

Hope this helps,

Krista
Hey Krista,

Thanks for the help! Do you happen to remember what month your friend got accepted in?

Also, math is not my strong point...I'm only taking mixed functions right now. Are intro calc and calc difficult/ do these courses stop people from getting a BA in PNB? Does MAC have math support?
Old 02-20-2012 at 09:26 PM   #5
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey Krista,

Thanks for the help! Do you happen to remember what month your friend got accepted in?

Also, math is not my strong point...I'm only taking mixed functions right now. Are intro calc and calc difficult/ do these courses stop people from getting a BA in PNB? Does MAC have math support?
There is a math help center at McMaster and is located in Hamilton Hall.
Old 04-28-2012 at 01:02 AM   #6
Unregistered

is it possible to transfer into the honours ba (social science) from the ba, after a year or so, or are the streams fundamentally different?