MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour (BSc) Ivydor First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-27-2012 09:29 PM
Psychology Neuroscience and Behaviour (BA) Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 04-28-2012 01:02 AM
Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour (BSc) Need2knowme Academics 5 01-11-2012 09:12 PM
Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour (BSc) MaryS Academics 1 02-23-2011 11:15 PM

Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour or Social Psychology?

Old 10-25-2012 at 01:50 AM   #1
TF07

Liked: 0 Times

Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour or Social Psychology?
So I want to get into Psychology in the social sciences but what is the main difference between the two? Is Psych Neuro and behaviour directed more towards Psychiatry? I want to get into the MA program for psych so which one would be more ideal? Thanks.
Old 10-25-2012 at 02:22 AM   #2
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Hello, nice to see you're interested in pursuing psychology!

Social Psychology and PNB differ in many ways.
First, pre-reqs: PNB requires you to take both psych 1X03 and psych 1XX3; you need 1XX3 for the neurological/biological background because PNB encompasses psychology, neuroscience & behaviour.
Social Psychology only requires you to take psych 1X03, because that program is more geared towards the social psychology aspects of psychology. if you take a look at the undergraduate calender, you can get a sense of what the program is focussed on by looking at the courses required for that program.

Secondly, Social Psychology is a Social Science degree, whereas PNB has both a science and social science degree; so you can enter PNB from social science if you're more into social science courses than science ones. PNB has a research focussed component to it, and yes, there are opportunities to get into clinical work and psychiatry from PNB.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. I also recommend talking to Ann Hollingshead; [email protected]

She is incredibly helpful!

TF07 says thanks to anon491 for this post.

AC17 likes this.
Old 10-25-2012 at 05:33 AM   #3
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

BAs usually lead to MAs and BSc usually lead to MSc, but depending on the program it can vary - for example, there are a lot of lawyers (a humanities-type degree) that have a background in science.

Its better to look an individual program requirements for this kind of thing.
Old 10-25-2012 at 01:50 PM   #4
TF07

Thanks! Do you think the science aspect of it would be beneficial for a masters degree/research work later on? or would that just make it unnecessarily more difficult for me?
Old 10-25-2012 at 04:28 PM   #5
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

I personally don't know much about the Social Psych aspect, but speaking as a PNB student, I think what we're learning is very beneficial. You get exposed to a lot of professors and their research, as well as learn a LOT of science in your first term (of the program). Everything else builds off of that, and it gives you a great three-fold perspective on things.

I'm not sure how things go down in Social Psych, so I can't really say which would be better though.
Old 10-25-2012 at 05:05 PM   #6
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF07 View Post
Thanks! Do you think the science aspect of it would be beneficial for a masters degree/research work later on? or would that just make it unnecessarily more difficult for me?
It all depends on what sort of research you want to do and what you are interested in.
Old 10-26-2012 at 12:13 AM   #7
TF07

Also, just for reassurance a degree with Social Psychology would be sufficient for application into a Psychology MA programs right??
Old 10-26-2012 at 05:46 AM   #8
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Quote:
Also, just for reassurance a degree with Social Psychology would be sufficient for application into a Psychology MA programs right??
I believe so, but you should find this stuff out fur yourself.

starfish likes this.
Old 10-26-2012 at 09:45 AM   #9
TF07

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I believe so, but you should find this stuff out fur yourself.

Lool well thats why I asked the question.. I emailed different universities asking that question but asked it here to see if I can get a faster response. Don't feel compelled to respond with vague answers ahaha, appreciate it anyway!
Old 10-26-2012 at 10:07 AM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Lool well thats why I asked the question.. I emailed different universities asking that question but asked it here to see if I can get a faster response. Don't feel compelled to respond with vague answers ahaha, appreciate it anyway!
You should check out the websites for programs you would like to apply to.

Also, be aware of what MI actually is--it's a bunch of students. Nobody can give you official information, particularly for schools other than McMaster. You might get someone who can give you info based on personal experience, but that should also be taken with a grain of salt because your situation might not be the same as theirs (even if it seems so on the surface), and rules can change pretty quickly.