MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Websites Scuderia Computers & Tech 12 06-25-2012 03:56 PM
Job websites chuksmcc Volunteering Opportunities 4 09-14-2011 05:50 PM
Websites getting shutdown Rakim General Discussion 4 02-01-2011 11:05 PM
Some rather Interesting websites! :0 huzaifa47 General Discussion 4 08-26-2009 09:21 PM
New Websites for MSU and SOCS Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 08-31-2008 05:52 AM

Python Help Websites

Old 09-23-2012 at 03:47 AM   #1
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

Python Help Websites
I am a third-year Life Sciences student taking Chemistry 2PC3, Mathematical Tools for Chemical Problems. The course involves a lot of programming in Python and I have ZERO experience with it. I am actually really surprised that a Python programming course isn't a pre-requisite and the prof and TAs don't really help us. Does anybody know of a/some good website(s) for learning how to use Python, NumPy/SciPy and Eclipse?
Old 09-23-2012 at 08:11 AM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

The python website has a ton of tutorials, if you haven't checked that site out yet. Also, 1st and 2nd year engineering students do an intro course on python, so you could find an eng friend, or even see if the TAs at the 2nd floor JHE computer lab can be of any assistance
Have they given you no tutorialship or teaching in python? Any course with programming has usually assumed no prior programming experience unless expressly stated in the course outline or description...
Old 09-23-2012 at 09:12 AM   #3
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

Check out 'thenewboston' on youtube. He has a playlist of ~40 tutorial videos on learning Python.
I found his videos really easy to follow and understand when I was learning Java.
Here is a link to that playlist of videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mf0h...A&feature=plcp
He also has videos going thru how to use eclipse as well.
Old 09-23-2012 at 09:20 AM   #4
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampis View Post
Check out 'thenewboston' on youtube. He has a playlist of ~40 tutorial videos on learning Python.
I found his videos really easy to follow and understand when I was learning Java.
Here is a link to that playlist of videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mf0h...A&feature=plcp
He also has videos going thru how to use eclipse as well.
I second this - in fact, I was just about to direct you there myself. Very useful stuff.

Swampis likes this.
Old 09-23-2012 at 09:50 AM   #5
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Python:
http://docs.python.org/tutorial/

Eclipse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOAiNY66fgY
This channel has some tutorial videos to get you started.
http://eclipsetutorial.sourc eforge...lbeginner.html

YouTube has a lot of programming tutorials, so if you ever need some help try and search for it there. For example, if you need help with Python classes, just type in python classes and some videos will show up.

Programming is like math in the sense that you need to practice a lot to do well in it. You can't learn programming by watching some videos or reading about it online/in a book. The links above should be helpful in your understanding to the concepts of programming, but don't forget to put that knowledge into practice!
Old 09-23-2012 at 11:02 AM   #6
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Best way to learn Python - get the book used by first year eng students.
Old 09-23-2012 at 07:06 PM   #7
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

http://www.diveintopython.ne t/toc/index.html is also an very good resource.
Old 09-23-2012 at 08:25 PM   #8
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBean View Post
Best way to learn Python - get the book used by first year eng students.
Are they still using Python Programming by Zelle? I'd almost forgotten about how brilliant this book is, simply because I borrowed it off of a friend. It really is one of the best books they could have told you to get.

Now I need to buy it from somewhere, sigh.
Old 09-23-2012 at 08:51 PM   #9
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
Are they still using Python Programming by Zelle? I'd almost forgotten about how brilliant this book is, simply because I borrowed it off of a friend. It really is one of the best books they could have told you to get.

Now I need to buy it from somewhere, sigh.
We used it last year, and first years still were buying it this one, I kept mine.