MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Quarters Update Chad MacInsiders Announcements 59 07-17-2009 10:42 AM
Quarters New Name finklej General Discussion 47 06-18-2009 01:48 PM
I Think Quarters Should Be Called... Matt Wright General Discussion 111 06-18-2009 12:08 PM
Quarters Matt Wright General Discussion 184 03-14-2009 10:52 PM
Halloween At Quarters! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-23-2008 11:43 PM

Quarters - The Final Five

Old 04-04-2009 at 04:05 PM   #15
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntyre View Post
As an SRA member, I am somewhat confused myself as to what changes are being made. Quarters management seem to be citing changes in the menu (which many SRA members suggested recently at SRA 08P meeting, but Mr. Finlay responded negatively towards that change:

"The food is doing well. If we try going into better food we will have to cut into profit margins or change it dramatically. Overall if we try to move forward to having it like Phoenix then we have a big chance at losing students. Don’t want to have direct competition with someone on campus." - SRA 08P minutes

I know they are definitely looking at fixing lighting/seating, etc...but food doesn't seem to be a priority although that's the recurring thing I've heard from students.
John, You seem to be a little confused as to the context of what I was saying. I did say the food is doing well and it has been. There has been a lot of people happy with the food this year as opposed to years past. There can always be things done to improve it. The Quality of the food purchased is top of the line and changing to other brands could cost the profit margins. We are not in the same food market as Phoenix because we want to charge less for food so that students have an affordable place to eat. The Phoenix is much more expensive than Quarters as I am sure no one will argue.

To set things straight, we have a new menu every year. We keep some old favorites and switch to new things students might like. Usually in the summer we switch up a new menu too. This has been happening every year if you havent noticed. Management has indicated they want to look at doing a menu per semester to keep things fresh so that students dont get tired of the same thing over and over again! This is nothing new, and what you are suggesting that Quarters management and even I have been neglecting what students want is inaccurate. At that time we were looking for feedback on renovations not food.

Old 04-04-2009 at 04:06 PM   #16
Ian Finlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
I think its pretty simple. if i want to chill and have some nachos and study, but their nachos suck, i'll go to the phoenix instead...
again, Nachos at Quarters are amazing!!! you just need to get the real cheese not the normal stuff!

Old 04-04-2009 at 07:26 PM   #17
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finlay View Post
again, Nachos at Quarters are amazing!!! you just need to get the real cheese not the normal stuff!
So if the nachos are so amazing with the real cheese, why even have the option of the "normal" (read inferior) stuff?

Old 04-04-2009 at 07:43 PM   #18
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times
Thanks for the clarification. I never suggested that you were neglecting students. I know that I had brought up these concerns, and it was phrased in the past that the food did not require changing as many people were content with it - and that is far from what I've heard from constituents. I am glad to see the Quarters management looking into different options.

Ian Finlay says thanks to McIntyre for this post.

Old 04-05-2009 at 09:57 AM   #19
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times
I know - thats SO stupid. I dont think they expect people to know about this real/fake cheese thing. I went. I had nachos. They were crappy. I was dissapointed. That's it!!

Phoenix nachos are not that much more expensive. I dont really think phoenix is that much more pricey, especially for the quality that is there. I mean, that plate of crap swimming in oozy fakecheese was about 5 or 6 dollars. Really? Come on.

I dont think there's any reason to defend their food.

Old 04-09-2009 at 03:24 AM   #20
ColinT

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
Why exactly is Quarters attempting to relaunch after a dismal 2008 fiscal year? After Deloitte audited the establishment for a $425,000 loss, it's quite appalling to know that we, as students are pumping more money into a clearly floundering business.

I know you have denied all knowledge of the financial burden when you were elected as VP Finance but one must ask what financial management qualifications you possess as a fourth year Poly Sci student that any Commerce student fails to address?

Take it with a grain of salt but after a write down of 425K, I am really hoping you attempted to address the issue by cutting down needless expenses and perhaps doing some market research into the student demographic for the restaurant/bar scene.

Failing that, is there really demand for a "new" restaurant/bar/nightclub, is it sustainable? Will a product relaunch really address the key business problem that Quarters was and is still facing? All I'm trying to get across to you is...is this the right strategic plan for the long term success of the bar and the MSU (as we all know also falls into the deficit category and who is the blame?)

Old 04-09-2009 at 07:07 AM   #21
Ian Finlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinT View Post
All I'm trying to get across to you is...is this the right strategic plan for the long term success of the bar and the MSU (as we all know also falls into the deficit category and who is the blame?)
Correction: The MSU is in a surplus and a quite healthy one at that. This is probably one of seven issues being addressed all at once to relaunch new. All areas are being looked into and being addressed too. Having a poor logistical set up attributes for quite a large amount of the money, and this isn't just to make Quarters look nice but to address this poor set up. Finally, yes especially with the double cohort, Campus bars are taking a hit. We need to reasses whether or not our focus should remain as a nightclub or look elsewhere. This plan is set up to address this question and change the direction of Quarters so that it stays as a useful place for the current students. Lets remember, Quarters once was the best campus pub in Canada for 3 years in a row once! Let's try to get it back there and help make students proud to go to McMaster.

Old 04-09-2009 at 04:25 PM   #22
ColinT

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
Correction: The MSU is in a surplus and a quite healthy one at that.
As per your speech at the General Assembly, you contradict this exact argument.

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2059 4

Apparently a $41,900 deficit on Gross Revenues of almost $10 million is considered "quite healthy."

Let me quote wikipedia in case you do not understand the difference between a budget surplus and budget deficit.

A budget deficit occurs when an entity spends more money than it takes in.[1] The opposite of a budget deficit is a budget surplus.

[quote=Ian Finlay;49110]Finally, yes especially with the double cohort, Campus bars are taking a hit.[/quote]

How exactly does the double cohort of 2003-2004 affect the financial viability of Quarters in the current year?

And quite frankly, I would rather the school garner more academic recognition than be known for having Canada's best campus pub but that is just my opinion.

An example is the two campus bars at Wilfred Laurier University that had a net profit of $76,000 in the 2008 fiscal year. We can make the assumption that it is quite popular among the students, or they are not frivolous with their expenses.

DannyV says thanks to ColinT for this post.

Old 04-10-2009 at 02:17 AM   #23
Ian Finlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinT View Post
As per your speech at the General Assembly, you contradict this exact argument.

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2059 4

Apparently a $41,900 deficit on Gross Revenues of almost $10 million is considered "quite healthy."

Let me quote wikipedia in case you do not understand the difference between a budget surplus and budget deficit.

A budget deficit occurs when an entity spends more money than it takes in.[1] The opposite of a budget deficit is a budget surplus.

[quote=Ian Finlay;49110]Finally, yes especially with the double cohort, Campus bars are taking a hit.

How exactly does the double cohort of 2003-2004 affect the financial viability of Quarters in the current year?

And quite frankly, I would rather the school garner more academic recognition than be known for having Canada's best campus pub but that is just my opinion.

An example is the two campus bars at Wilfred Laurier University that had a net profit of $76,000 in the 2008 fiscal year. We can make the assumption that it is quite popular among the students, or they are not frivolous with their expenses.
[/quote]

The MSU as a whole is running an over $2mill surplus in unallocated funds. Along with this surplus we have a surplus of another upwards of $1mill in funds designated for upgrades.

We have had in the past 7 years budget surplus's 6 times, and 1 budget deficit. If these budget deficits exceed the amount of budget surplus', then we are running a budget deficit. Bus since its not the case over all we are doing quite healthy indeed.

The Double Cohort has effects we see today since now the average age for first year students is lower end of 18 and even a ton of 17 year olds. Where as before the average age was 19. Also siting Wikipedia, you can notice that you must be 19 to drink liquor in Canada. Where can students drink liquor? Quarters! So now the demographic is no longer all drinking, close to 30% plus other people of legal age who dont drink, we cannot focus our bar to service just those clientel who drink but those we must also give those who dont choose or cant drink an option too. One which is feasible for a resturaunt is increasing our ability to serve food, for cheap prices.

Lauriers two bars do do well. I would correct your numbers possibly to around $50,000 a year since that is what I got from their food and beverage manager. They also renovated their bar and spent $450,000 to do it, and made it more of a resturaunt to accomadate the change in demographic by focusing on foods.... with a reno under Quarters belt for a bit cheaper price, Quarters can realise some of the gains you note for other schools bars. The Turret which is the second bar at laurier is not making money. Thats purely the clubbing place to go, so most likely liqour sales are made there. this whole thing where they used to make $6,000 a night, now losing money, reflects the same situation we see with liquor sales. They are planning on shutting down the Turret and doing a similar renovation over the summer.

Just so you know that what we are doing is to bring things similar to bars who used to be in our shoes, and now arent and we are doing the same thing.

And Mac is one of the TOP three universities in canada and one of the TOP 100 schools in the world!!!!! that's fantastic!!! I bet not many people knew that! I suggest you go throw that in a Queen students face sometime, or any other students face! So since we are well received "educationally" why not build on extracurricular stuff? Maybe ask why doesnt the university put money into athletics? The MSU puts money into clubs of all kinds.... and now why not put some money into something that will create school pride on a different level? and give people a chance to relax and have fun in a safe environment? All of these things are great for students!

Old 04-10-2009 at 11:05 AM   #24
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times
I've got some "Quarters money" which expire in March 2010, will I still be able to use it in September?

Old 04-10-2009 at 11:10 AM   #25
Ian Finlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
I've got some "Quarters money" which expire in March 2010, will I still be able to use it in September?

I will say yes you can. I don't think you're able to have expire dates on gift certificates anymore bylaw.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search