MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quarters Update Chad MacInsiders Announcements 59 07-17-2009 10:42 AM
I Think Quarters Should Be Called... Matt Wright General Discussion 111 06-18-2009 12:08 PM
Quarters Matt Wright General Discussion 184 03-14-2009 10:52 PM
Halloween At Quarters! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-23-2008 11:43 PM
Quarters Update Chad ARCHIVES 0 07-11-2007 11:06 AM

Quarters New Name

Old 06-17-2009 at 11:55 PM   #31
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

There is a reason companies don't change their names after coming out of bankruptcy (You can draw a very close parallel between bankruptcy and basically what is happening to Quarters). General Motors is still General Motors, Chrysler is still Chrysler.

The conclusion is that Quarters will still be Quarters; unless the people who make the decision have no idea what their doing. Actually, judging by the expenditures they just signed off on, that's probably likely.

Just my two cents.
Old 06-18-2009 at 12:56 AM   #32
Matt Wright

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post

The conclusion is that Quarters will still be Quarters; unless the people who make the decision have no idea what their doing. Actually, judging by the expenditures they just signed off on, that's probably likely.

Just my two cents.
I'm part of the committee picking the name. I'm also part of the group that signed off on the expenditures. Perhaps if you think you are more fit for either of these positions, you should consider running for SRA at the next by-election.

I have been trying to spearhead the name change since late March, and there has been minimal student response. If you check threads from around this time, there was also an email account set up through gmail to accept naming ideas. The inbox of this email received 0 messages since it has been created. The names that have been brought forward each contain relevance and ties to McMaster, but it is near impossible to create a brand that will be appealing to all students. It is the job of the SRA, the naming committee and the services involved to create a welcoming, inclusive and spirited campus pub, and its name that is associated with it.

That's more than my two cents.. actually that's probably closer to a quarter.

Chad, Nino all say thanks to Matt Wright for this post.
Old 06-18-2009 at 01:01 AM   #33
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post

I have been trying to spearhead the name change since late March, and there has been minimal student response. If you check threads from around this time, there was also an email account set up through gmail to accept naming ideas. The inbox of this email received 0 messages since it has been created.

Hey, maybe it's because people DON'T WANT TO CHANGE THE NAME. Did that occur to you?
Old 06-18-2009 at 02:39 AM   #34
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

No one even sent an email asking for the name to remain the same. The name change IS going to happen. Now it's just a matter of what new name it is that students want.
Old 06-18-2009 at 10:50 AM   #35
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino View Post
No one even sent an email asking for the name to remain the same. The name change IS going to happen. Now it's just a matter of what new name it is that students want.
Can we please get an actual reasoning for why it was decided that the name will/has to change?

It seems like a waste of time to put all this effort into picking a new name when students seem quite content with and love the name Quarters.

Also the name which seems to be the front runner for the change is a name most people have expressed feelings of outright hatred towards.

This board is only a sample of McMaster students but it still has quite a few members and a lot of people are asking why the change? It's been pointed out numerous times that the name was not the reason for the failures of the pub.

So could the person or persons in charge or involved with the name change that IS going to happen please give us students a reason why it must change. So far I've seen no reasoning just, hey guys what do you want to change Quarters name to?
Old 06-18-2009 at 10:58 AM   #36
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Can we please get an actual reasoning for why it was decided that the name will/has to change?

It seems like a waste of time to put all this effort into picking a new name when students seem quite content with and love the name Quarters.

Also the name which seems to be the front runner for the change is a name most people have expressed feelings of outright hatred towards.

This board is only a sample of McMaster students but it still has quite a few members and a lot of people are asking why the change? It's been pointed out numerous times that the name was not the reason for the failures of the pub.

So could the person or persons in charge or involved with the name change that IS going to happen please give us students a reason why it must change. So far I've seen no reasoning just, hey guys what do you want to change Quarters name to?
I have to agree. The question has been dodged several times, and once has been vaguely answered as "To create a totally new bar". That's a very lame cop-out of an answer.

I want to know who at whatever meeting it was decided at said: "I know what will fix Quarters' problems --- A new name!"
Old 06-18-2009 at 11:02 AM   #37
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

"Send an email here for name suggestions"
Months later
"We have zero emails"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino View Post
(emphasis added by me)

/facepalm
The SRA at it's finest.
Old 06-18-2009 at 11:17 AM   #38
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

hahaha @ the sra joke.

--

okay, so from my limited (and thus very unofficial, as i am a mere msu member and not one of the all knowing sra...) knowledge the reason for the name change has less to do with the internal politics of quarters and more to do with external relations.

Quarters takes a bad rap in the community, and is a rallying point for many Westdale residents who conveniently forget about the numerous other pubs around. From my perspective, having a new name allows the MSU to move away from that negativity.

Second thing is, a fresh start with the name allows for a fresh start with the attitude of the place. It's not just a renovation, but other changes will occur. From my knowledge the menu is being revamped to simpler, tastier and healthier food. I do also believe the kitchen is receiving more full-time trained employees so that the sole current full-time employee isn't overwhelmed.

The last thing is, the Quarters name was tarnished by the last couple years, and I, as a faithful patron, would like to see the name of the bar I spent so much time (and money) at laid to rest. A new brand lets the management start over fresh in terms of promotions and what not, and new traditions can be built because all the old ones have almost all died out.

I probably heard about the renovation plan earlier than most people, and venomously opposed a change in name, but at this point in time, I do understand that the place needs to look to the future to become a respected eating establishment, and a place for students to hang out. Quarters is not that: it is our Thursday hangout.

Nino says thanks to deadpool for this post.
Old 06-18-2009 at 11:19 AM   #39
jmbauman
Union Market Manager

Liked: 32 Times

Part of the reasoning behind renaming Quarters is to get rid of any negative connotations that come with it. While I think it's great that so many students love the name Quarters, there are a large number of students who avoided the place because of stories they had heard, or a bad experience they might have had.

To be honest, I didn't go to Quarters until my third year. I had decided in first year that I didn't want to be surrounded by underaged students making fools of themselves, and I had heard that it was dark, smelly, and my money would be better spent heading down to Hess if I wanted a good time. If I were invited to anything happening at Quarters, I wouldn't go.

We're now committed to spending $375,000 on a brand new restaurant / bar. I think it's great that they want a clean slate. Yes, those of us who know it as Quarters will always call it Quarters. But for the students who are coming to McMaster in the fall and for years to come, they'll only know the new bar as "<insert name here>" (and please, NOT the Rusty Scholar!).

The numbers showed that Quarters was not operating effectively. We're changing everything about it: they layout, the menu, the colours, the number of staff required, the training of staff and managment... everything that STUDENTS brought up that needed fixing about Quarters is being looked in to. As I said before: it's a fresh start for Quarters. So why not just change the name to complete the package?

Is a name change 120% necessary? I would say no. Should it be changed? I would say yes.

Nino says thanks to jmbauman for this post.
Old 06-18-2009 at 11:20 AM   #40
jmbauman
Union Market Manager

Liked: 32 Times

(BAH @Rohan for responding faster.)
Old 06-18-2009 at 11:25 AM   #41
sew12
Elite Member

That reasoning makes some sense but still people but as for the community of Westdale they aren't just going to forget that the place in the bottom of TSH is a pub. Even with the new name I'm sure they'll still conveniently see fit to forget about other bars in the area and place blame on it for their grievences.

I agree with the main sentiment though, please NOT The Rusty Scholar.
Old 06-18-2009 at 11:28 AM   #42
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Okay, i got SOME feedback about the name.

It most definitely shall NOT be the Rusty Scholar!!

WhooooooooOOooOO. Now let's hope my information is correct...

Also, the Westdale residents are a bit slow on the uptake. It took them 4 years of Quarters being open to realise that the place was called Quarters.

Nino says thanks to deadpool for this post.
Old 06-18-2009 at 11:40 AM   #43
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Also, the Westdale residents are a bit slow on the uptake. It took them 4 years of Quarters being open to realise that the place was called Quarters.
WADS fail?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-18-2009 at 11:48 AM   #44
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
"Send an email here for name suggestions"
Months later
"We have zero emails"

(emphasis added by me)

/facepalm
The SRA at it's finest.
Believe it or not, although a number of users here objected to a name change, there are others that do find the name change a good idea. Currently, they're all asking to get it changed to something other than The Rusty Scholar though as they don't believe this would be a suitable name for it. The reasoning behind the name change was explained by Mr. Nair and Ms. Bauman.
Old 06-18-2009 at 12:48 PM   #45
PTGregD
Elite Member

Seems like a reasonable explanation. I just hope the new name is good