MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why do Electrical Engineers need 4 electives now? JACrazy Academics 6 06-19-2012 07:08 AM
Electrical Eng/Mgmt Textbooks Question Theashe Academics 2 08-20-2011 04:02 PM
question about electrical engineering myalani First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 04-03-2011 06:33 PM
Tablet for Electrical/Bio Eng? PHLN First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 04-03-2010 08:23 PM
A Question For Second Year Engineers and Higher blahzay First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 01-14-2010 09:49 PM

A question for Electrical Engineers

Old 01-16-2014 at 01:10 AM   #1
Moosh

Liked: 0 Times

A question for Electrical Engineers
For Elec Eng 2CI5, 2CJ4, 2EI5 & Comp Eng 2DI4, 2SH4, 2SI4; do those courses heavily rely on the second year math courses?

Basically I was wondering if I could take Math 2Z03, 2ZZ3 in the Summer (2015).
Old 01-16-2014 at 02:35 AM   #2
Destiny_

Liked: 1 Time

Not really, I actually think it's better to get rid of the two math courses early so you have less workload in second year.

Also the math courses are easier in the summer as far as I know.
Old 01-16-2014 at 07:18 AM   #3
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Yes, definitely take both over the summer. The second year math courses will help in some way (e.g., laplace and fourier transform) which is a must at the end of either 2EI5 or 2CI5 and 2CJ4.

The good thing is that they will teach/review the basics of these transformations just to make sure most of you won't fail the course.

Moosh says thanks to Bhaltair for this post.
Old 01-16-2014 at 10:19 AM   #4
Moosh

I don't think I asked my original question correctly. Just to confirm, I should be fine to take "Elec Eng 2CI5, 2CJ4, 2EI5 & Comp Eng 2DI4, 2SH4, 2SI4" in the Fall/Winter 2014-2015 session and then to take Math 2Z03, 2ZZ3 afterwards in the Summer (2015).
Old 01-16-2014 at 10:21 AM   #5
Moosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
Yes, definitely take both over the summer. The second year math courses will help in some way (e.g., laplace and fourier transform) which is a must at the end of either 2EI5 or 2CI5 and 2CJ4.

The good thing is that they will teach/review the basics of these transformations just to make sure most of you won't fail the course.

So it would be unwise to take the math courses in the summer AFTER completing those courses then? :(
Old 01-16-2014 at 11:59 AM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

They absolutely do not rely on the math courses.

Comp Engineers take the courses you listed above, but they do not take 2zz3, only 2z03. Also, the math courses are focused more on pure math, as opposed to applications, which is what the EE courses focus on.

Honestly, the math involved in the courses you listed above is fairly easy and with practice you can ace the courses (except 2EI5 which relies heavily on your microelectronic skills).

EDIT: Also as a side note, im pretty sure fourier transforms is covered in 2ZZ3, which again, is a course comp. doesnt take, but they still take the elec courses you listed above with no problems (I was one of the people who didnt take 2zz3 before doing those courses and I did well).

Moosh says thanks to blackdragon for this post.

Moosh likes this.
Old 01-16-2014 at 02:58 PM   #7
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Fourier transformations/series (2ZZ3) would be for 3TP4 in the next year. So, you're fine for that one.

2Z03 is a stickier situation. 2CJ4 uses Laplace transforms, but they're generally pretty rudimentary (and you're given a table of basic ones, I think?). 2CI5 also deals with differential equations, but they're generally not too bad and tend to just be basic exponentials. 2CI5 also runs concurrently with 2Z03, so that could be useful. Not necessarily, though, because if you're like most people you'll be really reviewing material prior to midterms.

Also, keep in mind that by taking the courses in the summer you'll likely be incurring ~$1500 in extra tuition fees.

Old 01-16-2014 at 08:35 PM   #8
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosh View Post
So it would be unwise to take the math courses in the summer AFTER completing those courses then? :(
Not at all, you should have no problem taking ECE courses without taking the math courses (it could be helpful but not mandatory). The ECE professors will teach you the tools you need to use. They are aware that some students take math over the summer in second year instead.