MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how cautious were you when moving into res vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 07-26-2010 09:26 PM
Question about moving up a level Levix Academics 2 05-17-2010 02:05 PM
Question about moving level 2 engineer and course drop... hellrise First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 02-25-2009 02:11 PM
Luggage for moving in p3nsuk3 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-29-2008 09:12 PM
Moving In katie_batt Residence & Housing 4 07-27-2008 11:26 PM

Question on moving to level2...

Old 05-29-2010 at 08:47 PM   #1
BinMonitored

Liked: 9 Times

Question on moving to level2...
RESULTS: MAY CONTINUE, NOT ELIGIBLE FOR ENGINEERING II.
CUMULATIVE AVERAGE: 5.0/037 UNITS
SESSIONAL AVERAGE: 5.0/037 UNITS

REGISTRATION FOR SEP10-APR11
INELIGIBLE FOR
B ENG , SFTWR ENG(EMBED SYS)COOP
B ENG , ELEC ENG CO-OP
B ENG , COMP ENG CO-OP
DECISION PENDING
B ENG , MECHATRON ENG CO-OP

That's what is being wrote on my transcript...
I have failed Chem 1E/ Physics 1E and taking summer school atm try to recover them...

What does " MAY CONTINUE, NOT ELIGIBLE FOR ENGINEERING II." means?
Am I a goner too D:? or just I have to finish summer screw n pass the course then I will be fine...?

looks like failed 2 is kind of too much...

Btw if I didn't get into Mechatronics will school put me into 1 of other 3 choices I made? Or if I got pretty bad luck n got into mechatronics... anyway to transfer into either EE or Software before Sept school term starts? (I put mechatronic as my first choice.. I duno wat or wtf hit my head to make this decision... and now I believe next year physics r gonna all grouped up n kick my sorry butt hard in turns D: )

any advise would be grateful.
Old 05-29-2010 at 09:03 PM   #2
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Its not the end of the world lol. You have a seat in Tron no worries. Just pass those two courses this summer. You will not be automatically switched into your other 3 streams which you are ineligible for Im sure. In terms of switching streams though talk with an academic advisor ASAP if you really are sure you don't want to be in Tron.

Also as a side. I found physics brutal in first year too and was sorta worried of the two physics you take in tron second year but turns out I killed em both and I actually enjoyed both courses too!
Old 05-29-2010 at 09:07 PM   #3
crys.eg

Liked: 7 Times

I am only in first year, just like you... so I am not 100% sure.

But I believe that you are unable to be in an engineering progam as of now,
(NOT ELIGIBLE FOR ENGINEERING II) due to your low average.... but you are still part of mcmaster university and can get into another program, science, humanities, etc etc.. AKA your not kicked out.

Not tooo sure how summer school marks work, but I think you can make up your marks (which your doing now) and get into programs still depending on marks n such.

I dont think it matters the order which you put your choices....
But then again, im just a first year... and really just going on this I've heard.

Hope that kinda helps, and gives you some sort of hope!
- gooood luck
Old 05-29-2010 at 09:17 PM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

I think once you finish chem and physics you will be fine.

In engineering, your allowed to fail upto 2 courses and still move onto next year
Old 05-29-2010 at 09:26 PM   #5
BinMonitored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Its not the end of the world lol. You have a seat in Tron no worries. Just pass those two courses this summer. You will not be automatically switched into your other 3 streams which you are ineligible for Im sure. In terms of switching streams though talk with an academic advisor ASAP if you really are sure you don't want to be in Tron.

Also as a side. I found physics brutal in first year too and was sorta worried of the two physics you take in tron second year but turns out I killed em both and I actually enjoyed both courses too!
thanks for the quick reply.

truth is, I wanna be in tron, but when I take a look on next year courses... I found that all these physics courses are gonna be my executioners... cuz I dun have a great grade in 1st year ez physics course... but still wanna take part in robotic stuffs... so kind of puzzled.
I got pretty low on math and physics but high on programming, so I think software would be better for me?

one more question, last year in engineering fair, I asked one of the CAS prof.
he said most grads from Mechatrons are doing EE stuffs, just more competitive when try to apply automobile firms since they have stronger physics background... I wonder if u ever cooped before, do u feel u r doing EE stuffs or something EE students can do as well?
Old 05-29-2010 at 09:29 PM   #6
BinMonitored

Quote:
Originally Posted by crys.eg View Post
I am only in first year, just like you... so I am not 100% sure.

But I believe that you are unable to be in an engineering progam as of now,
(NOT ELIGIBLE FOR ENGINEERING II) due to your low average.... but you are still part of mcmaster university and can get into another program, science, humanities, etc etc.. AKA your not kicked out.

Not tooo sure how summer school marks work, but I think you can make up your marks (which your doing now) and get into programs still depending on marks n such.

I dont think it matters the order which you put your choices....
But then again, im just a first year... and really just going on this I've heard.

Hope that kinda helps, and gives you some sort of hope!
- gooood luck
shouldn't be >4 u r alright
3<x<4 u r out but still in the University
<3 u r a goner?

that's wat I got from checked up on school official site.
Old 05-29-2010 at 09:30 PM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Yup.

4.0+ For engineering
3.0-3.9 for McMaster
Old 05-29-2010 at 09:55 PM   #8
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinMonitored View Post
thanks for the quick reply.

truth is, I wanna be in tron, but when I take a look on next year courses... I found that all these physics courses are gonna be my executioners... cuz I dun have a great grade in 1st year ez physics course... but still wanna take part in robotic stuffs... so kind of puzzled.
I got pretty low on math and physics but high on programming, so I think software would be better for me?

one more question, last year in engineering fair, I asked one of the CAS prof.
he said most grads from Mechatrons are doing EE stuffs, just more competitive when try to apply automobile firms since they have stronger physics background... I wonder if u ever cooped before, do u feel u r doing EE stuffs or something EE students can do as well?
Do not be discouraged by your low marks in first year. For me personally first year was hell lol. With the course load and just adjusting to University it was hard but come second year I was way more comfortable and focused I did ALOT better.

In terms of material for Tron students we do a bit of everything. We do learn some of the stuff EE students learn aswell just not as indepth. Just glancing at their courses, EE 2CI5 is basically our EP 2E04 and so on. In the words of my software prof 'we are the glue that holds other engineers together' lol. We dont have the indepth knowledge of a person in EE or Mechanical for example but we do have enough knowledge to communicate between them. In the end though the majority of our courses are software (particularly embedded). Look at the third year courses for example. The majority of units are taken up by software courses.

Last edited by Colin : 05-29-2010 at 10:00 PM.

BinMonitored says thanks to AnguishedEnd for this post.
Old 05-29-2010 at 11:18 PM   #9
BinMonitored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Do not be discouraged by your low marks in first year. For me personally first year was hell lol. With the course load and just adjusting to University it was hard but come second year I was way more comfortable and focused I did ALOT better.

In terms of material for Tron students we do a bit of everything. We do learn some of the stuff EE students learn aswell just not as indepth. Just glancing at their courses, EE 2CI5 is basically our EP 2E04 and so on. In the words of my software prof 'we are the glue that holds other engineers together' lol. We dont have the indepth knowledge of a person in EE or Mechanical for example but we do have enough knowledge to communicate between them. In the end though the majority of our courses are software (particularly embedded). Look at the third year courses for example. The majority of units are taken up by software courses.
I see, thanks for the advise.

still felt depress about the low average in my first year... in fact, partially from my roommates, cuz one of them got 7.5 or something in first year but in EE program he is failling like hell... so I duno how my 5.0 GPA with 2 failed courses gonna end up like...

Sort of having an idea now, just need more time to overcome myself D:

again, thanks for everyone who replied in this thread.
Old 05-29-2010 at 11:47 PM   #10
mOeeOm

You're not in a bad spot relax.

All it means is that you don't have the pre-requisites to move up to level 2 engineering, you have not been kicked out or anything. Your options:

1) Do the courses + pass in summer school and maintain the C.A required
2) Wait until next year and do them in the normal year (although this will set you back at least a semester)
Old 05-30-2010 at 02:26 PM   #11
sdb23

Liked: 0 Times

Also make sure to tell your academic advisor that your taking summer classes so they can tell the program authorization guys. That might change your status to pending for all your program choices.