MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving in tomorrow ShesTheMan McKay Hall Forum 23 09-04-2010 07:07 PM
Where to get boxes for moving? TTHX Residence & Housing 4 04-29-2010 01:20 PM
Moving on to Year II BenTran First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 12-21-2009 06:26 PM
Moving In katie_batt Residence & Housing 4 07-27-2008 11:26 PM

how cautious were you when moving into res

Old 07-22-2010 at 08:54 PM   #1
vp15

Liked: 4 Times

how cautious were you when moving into res
so moving into res is a new experience, you dont know the person you will be sharign with and stuff n arent confortable yet so how cautious were you with your stuff during the first few days in res? did u lock u bags and such when u slept etc?
Old 07-22-2010 at 08:56 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp15 View Post
so moving into res is a new experience, you dont know the person you will be sharign with and stuff n arent confortable yet so how cautious were you with your stuff during the first few days in res? did u lock u bags and such when u slept etc?
I pretty much left everything out, I didn't bother bringing any locking cabinets or anything of the sort.

I talked to my roommate before I moved in so I already knew who he was.

vp15 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-22-2010 at 09:05 PM   #3
JL37

Liked: 5 Times

I didn't lock up anything. I just left everything out. Me and my roommate were cool with each other like right off the bat. Although I did know a few people who felt like they had to hide things because they didn't really trust their roommate

vp15 says thanks to JL37 for this post.
Old 07-22-2010 at 10:49 PM   #4
pocalyuko

Liked: 9 Times

i wouldn't worry too much about being overly careful with your things. I was just in res for my first year this past school year and although my buddy from high school was my roommate, we had no problems whatsoever. I literally know of 2 people that had to "be careful" with their things. mostly food, drinks, etc but nothing generally expensive.

dont worry about it too much, people (mostly parents) make it out to be a much bigger deal than it is

vp15 says thanks to pocalyuko for this post.
Old 07-23-2010 at 12:24 AM   #5
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Try to connect with your roomie before hand, it makes it much easier... if you can't then feel it out, don't worry too much. I wouldn't leave your wallet lying around, but your essentials (laptop cell phone etc) you shouldn't really worry about it.

Remember, your roomie will have stuff that THEY will be afraid that you might steal too. Everyone has the same concerns, so I doubt they'd violate your privacy if you don't violate theirs.

Also, in the first couple of weeks, you'll fill out roommate agreements where you'll go over certain things (guests, lights out, cleaning etc) and essentially create a living guideline with your roommate.
Old 07-23-2010 at 12:28 AM   #6
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

I would consider a laptop lock, if you'll be leaving it in your room a lot. Not so much for the fact that your roommate might steal it, but that they might be idiots that leave their door unlocked and someone else might come and steal it...
Old 07-23-2010 at 01:09 AM   #7
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

I was in Bates, so I had my own bedroom and I locked the door at night or when I was out.

I brought the TV though, which I locked to the TV stand. I also brought my PS3 (or Wii), which I would keep in my room when I'm not using it.

I didn't really need to though. I had great roommates.
Old 07-23-2010 at 07:37 AM   #8
macbaby07
Elite Member

Liked: 54 Times

i was so cautious that when i was moving in i tipped toed very quietly because i was afraid of setting on of the bombs off beneath the floors off ....

thats how cautious i was
Old 07-23-2010 at 08:04 AM   #9
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I lived in bates first year as well.
And we werent really that cautious to start off cuz my roommates were all awesome guys. I brought a PS2, my roommate brought a Wii and we just left all our stuff out in the living room for a while before we got things sorted out. But we always made sure to lock the "front" door at night. . . especially after a ummm.... welcome week fiasco involving the welcome week reps but we learned from our mistake
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 07-23-2010 at 12:23 PM   #10
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

They tell you your roommate is the least likely person to be stealing your stuff.

Just make sure to keep your room door locked when you're out. If you find your roommate is forgetful or careless and doesn't lock the door when they leave maybe bring something (a cabinet or the like) that you can lock valuables in.
Old 07-23-2010 at 04:57 PM   #11
vp15

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilex3 View Post
Also, in the first couple of weeks, you'll fill out roommate agreements where you'll go over certain things (guests, lights out, cleaning etc) and essentially create a living guideline with your roommate.
Is this provided by like your residence when you move in or do u make it on your own and stuff?
Old 07-23-2010 at 05:03 PM   #12
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp15 View Post
Is this provided by like your residence when you move in or do u make it on your own and stuff?
Your CA's will give them to you during one of the first couple of floor meetings. It's a form with certain topics and questions that you fill out.

Usually it's just a formality, and is only really useful if you end up having serious issues with your roommate. Then, you'd talk to your CA and you all will go over the agreement you and your roommate made to see if you resolve any conflicts.

I personally didn't have any problems, but I've heard of one or two extreme cases of it becoming important (with drugs or whatnot).
Old 07-24-2010 at 03:23 PM   #13
mc_kumar

Liked: 13 Times

Me and my roommate, high school friends, pratically hated eachother by February-ish. I kind of wish that I didn't have a close friend as a room-mate.
Old 07-25-2010 at 06:06 PM   #14
drysdale

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Being cautious is good practice. I had a friend who locked his computer to his table drawer until christmas when someone tripped over the lock wire and brought his computer down Even though its scary at first to leave stuff unprotected, over the year you will meet pretty much everyone in res and know them really well so you will feel okay leaving your door unlocked and stuff. Atleast that is what happened with me

I am writing articles as guide for first years and maybe they will help answer your questions: it can be found here
Old 07-25-2010 at 07:47 PM   #15
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

if you think about it, your roommate is the least likely to steal your stuff, since they would end up being the number one suspect. Just make sure that you guys agree to always keep the door locked and what not when you leave