MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving in tomorrow ShesTheMan McKay Hall Forum 23 09-04-2010 07:07 PM
how cautious were you when moving into res vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 07-26-2010 09:26 PM
Where to get boxes for moving? TTHX Residence & Housing 4 04-29-2010 01:20 PM
Moving Into an Apartment Almurnith General Discussion 3 08-22-2008 10:26 AM
Moving In katie_batt Residence & Housing 4 07-27-2008 11:26 PM

Moving on to Year II

Old 12-15-2009 at 11:43 PM   #1
BenTran

Liked: 3 Times

Moving on to Year II
Hello,

I just have just a few quick questions regarding the transition to year II in engineering. My goal is to get into Mechanical Engineering in year two so i've looked at the undergraduate calander to see the admission procedures and it is:

Admission to Level II Engineering programs requires completion of all non-elective Engineering I courses with a minimum Cumulative Average (CA) of 4.0. All programs have limited enrolment; should there be more applicants than the limiting number in any program, admission to that program will be based on a points system, computed as the product of the Sessional Average (SA) and the number of units taken in the session (a minimum of 31 units will be used in the calculation). Students who do not meet the requirements to proceed to Level II in May will have a Pending flag put on their allocation. The Pending flag will be removed in August if the student completes the requirements over the summer.

The thing I don't get is the "admission to that program will be based on a points system, computed as the product of the Sessional Average (SA) and the number of units taken in the session". Isn't it our overall average?

Also, is it only engineering credits that are used in our average or does it also include our elective?

And finally, what was last year's minimum average for mechanical? I know it changes every year depending on the demand but I just want a sense as to where it might be this year.

Thank you very much for your time.
-Ben
Old 12-16-2009 at 12:05 AM   #2
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

the mark in your course multiplied by the number of units the course is worth (ie 1z04 is 4 units) add all coursed together to get your points. i think this is than devided by the amount of units in total (all year) which is , i think, 37 for first year... i think.

i think all its courses.
Old 12-16-2009 at 01:35 PM   #3
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

last year mechanical and civil were pretty popular, it was around 7+/12

the workload? Term 1 is easy as pie but Term 2 is where they start killing people off, same applies for 3rd year. Most seniors I talked to definitely agrees on the linear difficulty, 4>3>2>1.

Last edited by Bobby66 : 12-16-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-16-2009 at 06:40 PM   #4
funkdmonkey

Liked: 27 Times

I would say the average to get into mech would be around 6-7.

An 8 will get you into anything except for management.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Eng I to Eng II.pdf (33.0 KB, 49 views)
Old 12-16-2009 at 11:13 PM   #5
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I've heard a lot of talk around the number 8 for civil and mech, but again, it always changes based on demand.

I so far have actually found my years to be in reverse difficulty! 1>2>3>4... I hear 5th year has a bajillion projects though.

There has been *more* work, but it's been more manageable, I think because I had to learn how I worked and studied, etc... and now that I know myself I can do better!

Good luck
Old 12-17-2009 at 12:46 PM   #6
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

I would say Mechanical was in the 6's last year for acceptance. I don't know about management though. I'm guessing it was either a high 7 or low 8. I would say a 9 is safe for acceptance into any program.

So far the workload for mechanical isn't as much as what I experienced in first year since there's no labs and few assignments. Although that doesn't mean you don't have to work hard... You still have to keep up with the material.

Currently I think 2nd year is harder than 1st year. The majority of 1st year was review for me and I found the material pretty easy to understand. 2nd year is a bunch of new stuff and I had horrible midterm dates... One of the main reasons I think year 2 is harder so far =\

Last edited by khaotic : 12-17-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-21-2009 at 06:26 PM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

2nd Year is better because your slightly more used to the work and types of tests. As for getting into second year, a 4.0 will guaruntee you into A stream, not specifically your choice. If you have an average or 8-9 your pretty much set for your stream. On that note, alot of streams also required only a 4.0 to get into this year... so it all depends on popularity