MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IS there ANY incentive to get HIGHER THAN 90? rcmp1234 Academics 22 10-14-2010 09:43 PM
First Year Info Event for Engineers Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 03-24-2010 12:02 AM
Anyone in 2nd or higher years of Social Work? Ansa Academics 3 02-11-2010 12:48 PM
Second Yr Engineers, how was Physics last year? kenvin100 Academics 11 11-27-2008 08:52 PM

A Question For Second Year Engineers and Higher

Old 01-07-2010 at 10:45 AM   #1
blahzay

Liked: 6 Times

A Question For Second Year Engineers and Higher
I'm wondering if any upper year engineers know the cut-offs for biomedical engineering and the cut-off for chemical engineering. Anyone know the marks you need?
Old 01-07-2010 at 10:51 AM   #2
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

I think they vary from year to year based on competition but i believe biomed eng is around 10 (thats a very rough estimate seeing as im also a first year)

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 01-07-2010 at 11:42 AM   #3
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
I think they vary from year to year based on competition but i believe biomed eng is around 10 (thats a very rough estimate seeing as im also a first year)
Biomed is normally around 10 when people actually apply to it. For my year, I heard that they were taking people with averages as low as 5.

Chemical engineering last year was also pretty low (~4 or 5).

I think almost everything was a 4-5 for my year, with the exception of anything+management, mechanical, electrical and civil.
Old 01-07-2010 at 11:55 AM   #4
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Biomed is normally around 10 when people actually apply to it. For my year, I heard that they were taking people with averages as low as 5.

Chemical engineering last year was also pretty low (~4 or 5).

I think almost everything was a 4-5 for my year, with the exception of anything+management, mechanical, electrical and civil.
I am in second year, and one of my friends got in Biomed with a 7 avg

I think if you can get avg of 7 then you can pretty much get in to any eng field.
Old 01-07-2010 at 12:00 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice8 View Post
I think if you can get avg of 7 then you can pretty much get in to any eng field.
I agree with this statement.

That's not to say that you should only aim for a 7 though. :p
Old 01-07-2010 at 12:06 PM   #6
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Quote:

Yes, listen to this man.

I fell into the "Software Engineer curse", where the cut-off is so low that it's pretty much the same as the cut-off for staying in eng (a 4). Thankfully, I cleared that, but I could have done much better if I had aimed higher.
Old 01-07-2010 at 01:29 PM   #7
blahzay

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice8 View Post
I am in second year, and one of my friends got in Biomed with a 7 avg

Quote:

Most definitely. Thanks for the quick replies.

I was also wondering when we actually start applying for our majors in eng?
Old 01-07-2010 at 01:31 PM   #8
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahzay View Post
Most definitely. Thanks for the quick replies.

I was also wondering when we actually start applying for our majors in eng?
im also interested on when this will take place. I also heard that in 1p03 they start talking about the different streams/disciplines, anyone know when this will occur?

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 01-07-2010 at 01:52 PM   #9
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

You choose sometime in March I think? I can't really remember. They start talking about different streams in 1p03 some time in second semester. Probably late January?

There are also info nights scheduled closer to when you choose by faculty, and an MES info night. They all generally come with free pizza and upper year students to talk to about courses they're taking and etc. And faculty nights have profs so you can ask them all your questions about the programs as well.
Old 01-14-2010 at 11:35 AM   #10
HarjotS.

Liked: 0 Times

Hi, I just have a few questions about Elecltrical and Management, like:
how is the workload
what kind of things do you learn
what kind of courses do you have to take
is it bussier (in terms of school work) than first year

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. You can also email me at [email protected] .com if you want.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2010 at 02:02 PM   #11
kirchhoff

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjotS. View Post
Hi, I just have a few questions about Elecltrical and Management, like:
how is the workload
The workload is more than typical Electrical Eng because of additional papers/assignments but the work itself is much easier. For example, instead of taking a 5 unit course with a lab and tutorial every week you might have two 3 unit commerce courses.

Quote:
what kind of things do you learn
what kind of courses do you have to take
You learn the entire Electrical Eng degree as well as something between a minor and a double major in commerce. In your 4th and 5th years you basically pick what Electrical courses you want to take.

http://www.ece.mcmaster.ca/documents...2009-10/em.pdf has all the details.

Quote:
is it bussier (in terms of school work) than first year

I'd say equally as busy but much less random. Most if not all of your courses will overlap with each other.

HarjotS. says thanks to kirchhoff for this post.
Old 01-14-2010 at 02:51 PM   #12
HarjotS.

So in your opinion it gets easier to cope with the work. This might sound like a dumb question but does it get easier to take out some free time for yourself or does that just depend on how you manage your time? Because so far i'm usually doing work most of the time and don't really get time for other thing[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jot/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jot/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jot/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]s
Old 01-14-2010 at 02:52 PM   #13
HarjotS.

Sorry about the stuff at the end, I messed up lol.
Old 01-14-2010 at 02:58 PM   #14
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
So in your opinion it gets easier to cope with the work. This might sound like a dumb question but does it get easier to take out some free time for yourself or does that just depend on how you manage your time? Because so far i'm usually doing work most of the time and don't really get time for other thing
Well, it tends to get easier because your actually doing more things you're interested in. If you like what you're doing, it doesn't feel like work .

Quote:
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jot/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jot/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Jot/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]s
Oh man, if you actually thought copying and pasting images from your harddrive to the reply box was going to work, you're seriously going to need learn how to use a computer before next year. lol

J-Met, micadjems like this.
Old 01-14-2010 at 04:23 PM   #15
Equinox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirchhoff View Post
You learn the entire Electrical Eng degree as well as something between a minor and a double major in commerce.
So do you actually get another degree? What if you change your mind in, say, second year, can you enter commerce 3rd year? And one last question, can you specialize in accounting (like going for a Chartered Accountant designation)?

Thanks in advance for answering my question(s)!