MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question regarding macinsider "like" sites. thedog123123 Academics 2 06-08-2012 01:07 PM
Which residences has the "Women & Leadership" and "All-Female Community" themes? Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-21-2012 11:15 PM
Unusual combination...anyone here take both "Psych 2C03" and "Math 1LT3" dumbconsumer Academics 2 06-15-2011 08:09 AM
"Shadowing" a program question Rakim Academics 7 06-04-2010 07:47 PM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM

Question about "zero" grades

Old 11-28-2012 at 03:12 PM   #1
GreenSkitt

Liked: 0 Times

Question about "zero" grades
hi everyone,

i wrote an essay a bit ago and i'm worried that i didn't paraphrase enough. i cited everything, but still. what happens if i get a 0 on the essay? am i notified before i get my mark back?
Old 11-28-2012 at 03:51 PM   #2
biglandfarm

Liked: 66 Times

depending on severity of the plagiarizing. Nothing could happen to you, you could get a zero, or worse comes to worse you could be kicked out of university.

Chris23 likes this.
Old 11-28-2012 at 04:03 PM   #3
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Relax. If you cited everything, you'll be fine.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 11-28-2012 at 04:08 PM   #4
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Citation basically means "I stole this from this source". You'll be fine.
Old 11-28-2012 at 11:28 PM   #5
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

Citation will generally keep you safe (especially in every first year course I've ever heard about). And even if you are caught for academic dishonesty, the first time is just a warning (unless it's insanely severe somehow that they have to rework the rules just for your case, but I fully doubt yours is that).
Old 11-29-2012 at 06:38 AM   #6
Incognitus

Liked: 19 Times

Depending on what the specific infraction is, you may get a notation on your transcript that simply says "DISHONEST." This is, of course, highly detrimental to future success and so academic dishonesty is not advised.

However from your description it sounds as though you tried to give credit where due in good faith, if there ever were a dispute you could likely defend your actions. Intent is a huge part of academic dishonesty cases...If you had improperly sourced or not paraphrased enough, your TA (etc.) would likely just provide you with the supports needed to remediate this issue, so long as it was not deliberately done.

If you didn't deliberately cheat, you won't get busted. The tribunal/professors/etc. are surprisingly adept at identifying real cheating.