MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 questions Juve First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-08-2010 06:02 PM
Questions :) Didi.a.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-11-2010 10:27 PM
Questions.. kwyhan Academics 7 06-15-2010 09:52 PM
few questions starlight First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-12-2009 08:51 PM
2 Questions jordan23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 09-04-2009 09:51 PM

Questions

Old 09-04-2009 at 04:32 PM   #1
Daman K

Liked: 0 Times

Questions
Hey everyone, I have a few questions before moving in tomorrow:

1.) Classes begin on Thursday, September 10th, so do we attend the Thursday classes (based on our timetable)?

2.) Since classes start during Welcome Week, should I just skip them and enjoy frosh or should I attend them? I plan on attending. What would the profs be doing, just explaining the course outline, etc?

3.) I have a meal plan, is the Student ID card used to purchase food and drinks?

Thanks,
Old 09-04-2009 at 04:34 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Yeah, you would attend your Thursday classes on the 10th. It's better to go to your first class, as you'll find out when your tutorials/labs start and other important information - they rarely keep you the whole 50 minutes, sometime they give you the outline and let you go after 10 minutes. And yes, the student card is used to purchase food and drinks.

Daman K says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 09-04-2009 at 04:36 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman K View Post
Hey everyone, I have a few questions before moving in tomorrow:

1.) Classes begin on Thursday, September 10th, so do we attend the Thursday classes (based on our timetable)?

2.) Since classes start during Welcome Week, should I just skip them and enjoy frosh or should I attend them? I plan on attending. What would the profs be doing, just explaining the course outline, etc?

3.) I have a meal plan, is the Student ID card used to purchase food and drinks?

Thanks,
1. That is correct. Only attend the cores unless you are told otherwise by your professor.

2. You should attend you classes, they won't be long. Generally it's just an introduction to the course and what will happen. You get the course outline.

3. Yes, the MacID card is used to purchase food and drinks.

You're welcome ^-^

Daman K says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 09-04-2009 at 04:42 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Part of the WW schedule on Thurs and Fri incorporates classes...so unless you are opting to miss a night class in favour of Faculty Night there is no reason to not go to your classes.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Daman K says thanks to lorend for this post.

jhan523 likes this.
Old 09-04-2009 at 05:00 PM   #5
Daman K

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks guys
Old 09-04-2009 at 09:26 PM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Part of the WW schedule on Thurs and Fri incorporates classes...so unless you are opting to miss a night class in favour of Faculty Night there is no reason to not go to your classes.
Yeah residences don't really have many activities going on during the day Thursday and Friday b/c of classes. People kind of just come and go to classes and hang out and socialize on those days. Activities resume in the evening.

As far as night classes are concerned usually they tell you to skip them and go to Faculty Night instead. I would agree with this advice. Faculty Night is a really fun time and a great opportunity to get know people you will be spending the next year with, or even 3-4 years since some of those same people will be going into the same program as you.

Taunton likes this.
Old 09-04-2009 at 11:39 PM   #7
leaffan

Liked: 4 Times

Going to class is important but it is definately worth missing a class or two so that you can attend a frosh event.
Old 09-05-2009 at 01:26 AM   #8
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Attend your lectures. You can always just leave after if an outline is handed out, otherwise stay - it will help you later on.
Old 09-05-2009 at 08:47 AM   #9
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Wait, people go to class on Thursday and Friday? You're making me feel like a slacker :p
Old 09-05-2009 at 08:50 AM   #10
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorVaughn View Post
Wait, people go to class on Thursday and Friday? You're making me feel like a slacker :p
Heh, you might as well go. They actually teach full lectures sometimes in upper years in my experience.
Old 09-05-2009 at 10:33 AM   #11
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Heh, you might as well go. They actually teach full lectures sometimes in upper years in my experience.
This is even more likely if you have a 2 or 3 hour lecture. (Some day classes are 2 hours, night classes can be up to 3). If they don't teach anything on the first lecture they're missing out on a full lecture or two, not just the first one.
Old 09-05-2009 at 11:48 AM   #12
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

They did that for math class, it was a full lecture on trig. O.o

Old 09-05-2009 at 12:52 PM   #13
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
They did that for math class, it was a full lecture on trig. O.o
Nothing says "Welcome Back To School" like some Trig.

Equinox, psymbiote like this.
Old 09-06-2009 at 02:55 PM   #14
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

my schedule shows i have a physics lab with no room # on the first day of school.
how do i figure out where to go?
Old 09-06-2009 at 02:57 PM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

If you haven't had a lecture for a class, you don't go to the tutorial or lab on your schedule. They start the second week of school (or sometimes later).

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

psymbiote says thanks to lorend for this post.