MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 questions Juve First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-08-2010 06:02 PM
Questions.. kwyhan Academics 7 06-15-2010 09:52 PM
few questions starlight First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-12-2009 08:51 PM
Questions Daman K First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 09-07-2009 12:21 AM
2 Questions jordan23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 09-04-2009 09:51 PM

Questions :)

Old 08-11-2010 at 04:48 PM   #1
Didi.a.g

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Questions :)
Ok so First off..

1. How hard is it to get on the Cheerleading squad and what do you have to do?

2. When should you get your textbooks for your classes? Do the proffessors expect you to have already read some chapters before your first class or anything like that?

3. Where can you get the textbooks from other than the bookstore? Can you also get them cheaper?

4. Is there going to be a list of clubs you can join or is there like a whole clubs meeting or something?

I'm probably going to have more questions but this is all I can think of so far

THANKS!
Old 08-11-2010 at 04:55 PM   #2
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I'll answer all of these questions to the best of my ability

1. I'm running a cheerleading tryout this year, at my place. Feel free to ask for more details

2. Don't get textbooks until during frosh week, or the first week of classes... PEople will sell them to you used, and you will save LOTS. And no prof wants any reading done until you start classes.

3. See Above

4. Frosh week has an event called "Clubsfest" where every club is in the center of campus, spread out over the lawn and walkways, presenting their business/activities/awesomeness and giving away free stuff!

Last edited by mike_302 : 08-11-2010 at 05:06 PM.

Desda says thanks to mike_302 for this post.
Old 08-11-2010 at 04:56 PM   #3
Ace0fSpades

Liked: 26 Times

1. No clue
2. You can get books after your first lecture (or anytime after). No they don't unless they posted it on avenue (only happened once for me, only once.... )
3.If its a copy used by the previous year you can get them from the upper years who can sell them cheaper. You can look on facebook or in the Marketplace here
4. Yes it's called Clubfest I believe its on the Tuesday during welcome week if you live on res your CA will tell you all about it if you ask them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didi.a.g View Post
Ok so First off..

1. How hard is it to get on the Cheerleading squad and what do you have to do?

2. When should you get your textbooks for your classes? Do the proffessors expect you to have already read some chapters before your first class or anything like that?

3. Where can you get the textbooks from other than the bookstore? Can you also get them cheaper?

4. Is there going to be a list of clubs you can join or is there like a whole clubs meeting or something?

I'm probably going to have more questions but this is all I can think of so far

THANKS!

Didi.a.g says thanks to Ace0fSpades for this post.
Old 08-11-2010 at 04:57 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

In addition to what Mike said, you can get used books from a multitude of online sources. MacInsider's Marketplace, Facebook's Marketplace, eBay, Amazon, etc...
Old 08-11-2010 at 04:57 PM   #5
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

1. I can't answer this as I am very clearly too hip for cheerleading

2. Unless you took a night class, most first classes, especially in first year, don't do any actual work. It's usually just an overview of the entire course (i.e. what topics you'll cover), maybe about the prof him/herself, etc.

Most profs usually go with the "read the chapter first and the lecture will supplement it" idea. So ideally you would have read through the chapter before it is covered in lectures. Frankly though, I've never done that. >_>

3. eBay, Amazon, this site (check the Marketplace tab), anyone you know who may have taken it previous years, etc. If someone's willing to sell an old textbook and you're willing to buy it, it usually benefits both parties (i.e. it'll be cheaper for you, and they'll get more money than if they sold it to the bookstore)

4. During welcome week on Wednesday there will be Clubsfest. Most of the clubs will have tables or displays and will encourage you to sign up for their mailing lists or whatever. It's usually the best way to learn about the clubs.

If you miss Wednesday's welcome week, usually clubs will have tables in the student center throughout the year and you could learn about them over time. There's also a smaller clubsfest a some point during the year (forgot when)

You could also get the full listing here:
https://www.msumcmaster.ca/clubs/lis...earchClubs.htm

Didi.a.g says thanks to JEFF_CHAN for this post.
Old 08-11-2010 at 10:10 PM   #6
Didi.a.g

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
I'll answer all of these questions to the best of my ability

1. I'm running a cheerleading tryout this year, at my place. Feel free to ask for more details

2. Don't get textbooks until during frosh week, or the first week of classes... PEople will sell them to you used, and you will save LOTS. And no prof wants any reading done until you start classes.

3. See Above

4. Frosh week has an event called "Clubsfest" where every club is in the center of campus, spread out over the lawn and walkways, presenting their business/activities/awesomeness and giving away free stuff!

HAHA cheerleading tryouts at your place (funny)... details!!!

And thanks for all the other info
Old 08-11-2010 at 10:23 PM   #7
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
2. Unless you took a night class, most first classes, especially in first year, don't do any actual work.
why is thisss? cause its like a 2 or 3 hour class? on the first day i have a 3 hour night class.. does that mean i should get the books before the first class?
Old 08-11-2010 at 10:27 PM   #8
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirs View Post
why is thisss? cause its like a 2 or 3 hour class? on the first day i have a 3 hour night class.. does that mean i should get the books before the first class?
You only take one night lecture a week, but you're supposed to be on the same pace as classes who have 2 or 3 lectures.

And not necessarily. You'll still have an entire week to get the books and catch up between night lectures.

Didi.a.g, kirsten..! all say thanks to JEFF_CHAN for this post.