MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions :) Didi.a.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-11-2010 10:27 PM
Questions!!! Pinakin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-11-2010 12:55 AM
few questions starlight First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-12-2009 08:51 PM
Questions Daman K First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 09-07-2009 12:21 AM
2 Questions jordan23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 09-04-2009 09:51 PM

Questions....

Old 05-17-2011 at 03:05 PM   #1
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Questions....
So I will probably be coming to Mac for either Environmental Science or Life Science. I have a question about the courses....so if I go into Life Science first year, would I be able to transfer into either Environmental Science or Medical Physics after first year? I'm really liking these two programs along with Life science so will it be possible?

Also, for life science it says I have to keep an 84% average in high school. I'm just wondering if I accept my offer to life science but my average doesn't meet this I won't get into life science obviously. Will I be able to get into E. Science though afterwards? I was just wondering about this. It won't happen.
Old 05-17-2011 at 08:06 PM   #2
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

I wondered the same things about level two programs. If you strategically pick your courses you can fit the requirements for a lot of level two programs so you have a lot of options. I will be at Mac for life sci next year too, hope to see you there.

About the other question you had, if you do not make the minimum average requirement after accepting your offer I think you have to talk to the school about the next steps. They would probably give you admission to some random program that still had spots that you did make the average cut for.
Old 05-17-2011 at 08:12 PM   #3
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
So I will probably be coming to Mac for either Environmental Science or Life Science. I have a question about the courses....so if I go into Life Science first year, would I be able to transfer into either Environmental Science or Medical Physics after first year? I'm really liking these two programs along with Life science so will it be possible?

Also, for life science it says I have to keep an 84% average in high school. I'm just wondering if I accept my offer to life science but my average doesn't meet this I won't get into life science obviously. Will I be able to get into E. Science though afterwards? I was just wondering about this. It won't happen.
First-year Science programs are very lenient in that there's a lot of room to organize program switching. You can most definitely switch into Environmental Science after first year, since the required first-year courses are almost exactly the same. You should take your two electives in Environmental Science if this is something you're considering. I'm not sure about Medical Physics, as I don't know anyone in the program and have no experience with it myself. At the very worst, you'll need to keep a high average to get into it (in case admission is competitive) and organize your courses so that this is possible.

You should plan out your courses by looking at the required courses for all three programs and make it easy for yourself should you choose to switch. Then I'd send it to an academic advisor and ask if your plan is the best one to have in order to facilitate switching.
Old 05-17-2011 at 08:53 PM   #4
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

So basically when you're in a first year science program, depending on which level I program you are in, you'll be restricted to certain courses. So if you're in life science, theres a list of courses you MUST take and list you CAN take. The same goes for enviro sc, but of course these course lists are different., so check the undergraduate calendar!

After understanding this, you can then plan which courses to take depending on which level II program you want to into. There are only a few things you can have control over: your electives and some compulsory courses.

I think an example might be better, using my experience as a life science student.
I knew that in level II, i wanted to go into biochem or chembio, so I would visit the calendar to see which courses were required so I would be considered for these programs. So there's a bunch of chem, bio, math and physics that I needed to take, so I made sure I took those specific courses. And that's it, after completing all those courses, what determines if I can enter those level II programs will be your grades. This may be easier as a life science, oppose to a enviro sc, since the requirements coincide with the courses you need to take.

All in all, you should be able to enter any program from any level I science program, just make sure you take the required courses for each of your selections. I can't confirm this, as this quite a bit of work to look at what you can take and what you need to take. Though, it makes sense that if you go into environmental science in first year, you're probably going to go into an environmental science program in level II.
Old 05-18-2011 at 12:05 PM   #5

Liked: 31 Times

Wow you have a picture of Nu from Chrono Trigger as your avatar. I am impressed and for someone still in high school, I must say you sir have good taste in video games.
Old 05-18-2011 at 02:31 PM   #6
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Heh, that game will never be forgotten and Nus were the greatest ha. And thanks for the replies. How many electives are there for first year life sci?
Old 05-18-2011 at 03:35 PM   #7
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Heh, that game will never be forgotten and Nus were the greatest ha. And thanks for the replies. How many electives are there for first year life sci?
Check the undergraduate calendar. A lot of things about what courses to take, what you can take etc. can be answered there. I personally prefer the online version of the calendar, but there is a print version, which I did get in the mail last year too.

All you need to know is that course codes will tell you how many units they are worth. 3 units denotes a course in one term, 6 units denotes a course that will last two terms. For example. BIO 1A03, this bio course is worth three units, means its 1 semester long. From that.. and the fact that you usually take 5 courses a semester, you should be able to see how many you need to pick.