MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering Questions mfattal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-15-2010 08:39 PM
2 quick engineering questions clouds First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-08-2010 09:38 PM
Materials Engineering and International Studies Questions! Hasselman Academics 3 06-18-2010 02:01 AM
Laptop Questions (Engineering) MiniDragon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 89 06-06-2010 10:14 PM
Engineering 1C03 questions kenvin100 Academics 4 01-07-2009 03:02 PM

Questions about bursaries and Engineering jackets

Old 02-05-2009 at 10:20 PM   #31
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
What they're trying to say is that just because he takes econ, it doesn't mean he's getting into management (there are other factors apart from that course that admission depends on). Whereas if you take calculus I and pass it, you can for sure take calculus II.
Right. But my point was that it was mandatory for him to take Econ to get into the program he wanted. I don't get whether or not he gets in has to do with anything ..?
Old 02-05-2009 at 10:23 PM   #32
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I think it was more of a "Dont put it on his jacket till he knows he's in" type thing. At least thats how i took it.
Old 02-05-2009 at 10:47 PM   #33
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Well, to be honest I meant more of a "I think it's annoying that something like half the upper year engineers feel they need to wear these jackets" type of thing. The people that wear them even before they get into a stream are pretty the worst of all.

I don't know, it's just kind of annoying when someone feels they need to let everyone they pass by know that they're in McMaster Engineering. Same with the iron ring thing. I know people that drool over the notion of attaining that thing. I don't like people that are all openly/arrogantly/intrusively proud like that (urban dictionary definition of douche bag), but then again, I'm quite cynical.

So basically, I will never buy a jacket or wear that iron ring
Old 02-05-2009 at 10:54 PM   #34
DannyV
Elite Member

I dunno about all that. To each his own I guess.

I can't say that I've seen people go up to others and throw the jackets in their face (i.e. be so intrusive). They just wear them just like other faculties wear their gear.
Old 02-05-2009 at 11:03 PM   #35
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
I dunno about all that. To each his own I guess.

I can't say that I've seen people go up to others and throw the jackets in their face (i.e. be so intrusive). They just wear them just like other faculties wear their gear.
I've yet to see anyone from any other faculty wearing a jacket.
Old 02-05-2009 at 11:07 PM   #36
DannyV
Elite Member

Kin's got windbreakers, I've seen music, poli sci and classics students wearing leather jackets too.

I guess we're just better known for them / more of us have them and wear them around
Old 02-06-2009 at 07:10 AM   #37
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

Please don't compare the iron ring with the ugly leather jackets! It's not the same thing!
Old 02-06-2009 at 07:41 AM   #38
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
So basically, I will never buy a jacket or wear that iron ring
Have you read about the Iron Ring? Do you know what it stands for?
Old 02-07-2009 at 10:57 AM   #39
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssabriere View Post
Please don't compare the iron ring with the ugly leather jackets! It's not the same thing!
I agree. I'm not in Engineering, but I know how important that ring is. It's not something people wear because they're arrogant. I wish I got something cool like that when I graduated, haha.

As for the jackets, I don't know. I can see how some people don't like them, but then again, I wear McMaster sweatshirts and track pants sometimes at school and when I'm out. I'm not trying to be arrogant or rub it in people's faces - I'm just proud I go to Mac. That's the same as the Eng jackets to me.
Old 02-07-2009 at 12:04 PM   #40
Matt Wright

Liked: 49 Times

There is a stigma surrounding Engineering, and it's unfortunate that the majority of tomfoolery happens by the same people who tend to wear their Eng jackets as a status symbol. Some people like to have fun in their ways, and what's important to remember is that we're all students at the same university. A jacket, ring, windbreaker or jumpsuit doesn't make anyone any better than the next.