MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
questions???? raveenaj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 07-30-2011 05:21 PM
few questions starlight First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-12-2009 08:51 PM
MacWork / McMaster Summer Work Program Application Questions. Kurt_ General Discussion 4 03-02-2009 02:07 PM
the wht if questions??? shreya s. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-09-2008 11:06 PM
Questions on Diversity at McMaster and Sessional Profs feonateresa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 42 04-16-2008 07:23 PM

Questions about Mcmaster

Old 11-20-2011 at 04:37 PM   #1
Gurinder R

Liked: 0 Times

Questions about Mcmaster
Alright I am thinking about applying to Mcmaster but i just want to know some general questions:

1. einfo states the admission grades are as low as low 80s to mid 80s. Is it actually this low?
2. How is the Management and engineering program?
3. I heard the Tron program is not organized well and focused too much on software and not enough mechanical courses?
4. Which stream would you prefer based on how it is organized and the workload? BioMed, Tron or Civil.
5. Last question, What were the cutoffs for 2nd year for Management and engineering for BioMed, Tron or Civil.

THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS
Old 11-20-2011 at 05:14 PM   #2
swarly

Liked: 7 Times

k I'm actually a life sci student but i know a bit about eng. The averages on einfo is the minimum you need to apply. But then to get accepted, you usually need about 3-4% more because everyone else applying has slightly higher avgs. In terms of biomed engineering, you cannot do the management option with the biomed eng. and the biomed eng is actually biomed + electrical. But if you want to do biomed, mcmaster is the only school that offers it (besides a specialization in eng sci at uoft) so mac would be your best bet.
Old 11-20-2011 at 06:02 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarly View Post
k I'm actually a life sci student but i know a bit about eng. The averages on einfo is the minimum you need to apply. But then to get accepted, you usually need about 3-4% more because everyone else applying has slightly higher avgs. In terms of biomed engineering, you cannot do the management option with the biomed eng. and the biomed eng is actually biomed + electrical. But if you want to do biomed, mcmaster is the only school that offers it (besides a specialization in eng sci at uoft) so mac would be your best bet.
I believe Ryerson also has a biomedical engineering program.

Quote:

1. einfo states the admission grades are as low as low 80s to mid 80s. Is it actually this low?
2. How is the Management and engineering program?
3. I heard the Tron program is not organized well and focused too much on software and not enough mechanical courses?
4. Which stream would you prefer based on how it is organized and the workload? BioMed, Tron or Civil.
5. Last question, What were the cutoffs for 2nd year for Management and engineering for BioMed, Tron or Civil.

1. Low/mid 80's isn't ridiculously low...particularly since so many people drop out of first-year engineering, it makes sense they'd want a wider pool of people to start off. Getting 90's in high school doesn't mean you'll do well in engineering, and you can have a low 80's average in high school and still do well.
2. What do you mean? What sorts of things are you looking for?
3. That's only a problem if you are more interested in mechanical than software
4. Choose your stream based on interest more than workload...those are pretty different streams, and the workload doesn't differ hugely between them.
5. Mac Eng uses a points system to determine admission to 2nd year programs, so it's based on grades as well as the number of courses you take, so as not to penalize people who take a full course load. As such, there isn't technically a cutoff average, although the point cutoff can be converted back to the GPA equivalent for a full course load. I think it gets posted on these forums every year, so if you use the search function you should be able to find last year's cutoffs.

Old 11-20-2011 at 06:27 PM   #4
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

1. If they say its low to mid 80s get mid to high 80s to be on the safe side.

2. http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/engandmgt/
The program is basically 5 years. So they divide the regular 4 year engineering program into 5 years and fill in the gaps with management/business courses.

3. Tron at McMaster is heavily based on software. However they do take physics in second year, but more software courses in third year.
Here’s the website: http://www.cas.mcmaster.ca/cas/0template1.php?902

5. Averages vary from year to year. Civil,mechanical,elec trical&biomedical and management usually requires a high gpa.

My advise to you would be to focus on your math,physics, and chemistry courses this year and take a programming course so you can familiarize yourself with it (they do python in first year).

Once you come to mac its free style lol..which means you have to do whatever it takes to survive. Time management is they key to success.
Good luck
Old 11-20-2011 at 07:09 PM   #5
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

1. Yes, cut-offs are around there.

2. How as in what? Is it a good program? Sure, if you like business stuff. It's like having a minor in business except you get the added bonus of an accelerated MBA after graduation.

4. Which would _I_ prefer? Why does it matter what i prefer? If i prefer unicorns, does that sway your option on your favourite animal (unicorns exist, ok)? I haven't really heard that many things about disorganization, i've heard the workload is killer, but its killer in ANY branch of engineering in ANY school.

5. Management is usually pretty tough to get in because they only take ~100 students per year, which means generally you'll need about a B average. As for the cut-offs for the other ones, i know Civil you'll need a B most likely since its pretty popular, not so sure on the other two. My guess is a B would get you in em, but you can probably get in with a little lower than that. That being said, the estimated cut-off average numbers vary year to year, maybe a little higher, maybe a little lower.