MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reinstatement questions student80137y First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 05-31-2013 10:26 PM
Reinstatement, some final questions, :) lifesciman1 Academics 9 06-03-2012 03:52 PM
Reinstatement with a low CA HelloThere__ Academics 2 07-27-2011 04:11 PM

Questions Regarding Reinstatement

Old 05-08-2014 at 04:37 PM   #1
engzheng

Liked: 2 Times

Questions Regarding Reinstatement
Hi everyone,

I just finished EngPhys Level II and have received all my marks. As a result, my CA has dropped to a 2.91 (I know it's close, but it is what it is), which would require reinstatement if I'd like to continue undergrad at Mac.

I have emailed Hopkins at the Associate Dean's office for a few detailed questions regarding reinstatement but haven't got a reply yet (I've talked to her a couple times this year; it's pretty hard to get detailed and accurate info out of her). Could anyone please make a clarification for me?

I looked at the Faculty of Engineering's policies on reinstatement. It says "A student who is reinstated after being ineligible to continue at a given level must repeat all the courses of that level". Is this implying that I must repeat all Level II EngPhys courses even if I get reinstated into another program under Engineering? Am I even allowed to apply for reinstatement into Eng programs other than fucking EngPhys again?

I'm at one of the lowest points of my my life right now, but I'll work my butt off whether I decide to take a year off or not just to square myself away, such that I won't repeat my mistakes in the past two years. Any help would be much appreciated!

Also, I've done quite a bit of research on irregular student status and reinstatement in Engineering recently. So if anyone in the same situation as me need any help I'll definitely try my best answer your questions!

ps. no hate for the guys in EngPhys. I have nothing but respect for those of you that were able to pull through three or four years under such terrible course organization and evil/lazy professors. Good luck to all of you!
Old 05-08-2014 at 04:46 PM   #2
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Liked: 13 Times

They make exceptions if the course is above a 4 or not to grant credits when you get back through reinstatement.

Since your GPA is below a 3, you are not even allow to continue at the University let alone Engineering. When you do reinstatement, you go back to your original level and program. That is the definition of "reinstated". To go to another program would be another process.

My advice is this, take it if you want. Apply to another University and start fresh in Eng 1. Don't mentioned prior experience with McMaster, just blank it out completely. You were a high school student who took 2 years out of school. The University in question can't be sending request to check if you did or did not complete courses at other University. If you have a balance due, the University won't even give anyone a transcript until its cleared so just don't even pay if you can.

The long way back is really a long way back, especially if you choose not to do Eng Phys. Don't shift the blame to the way the course was organize or due to professors. Own up to your mistakes and don't project it to other venues to relief yourself of that.

Good luck bud.

engzheng says thanks to HILLyBilly for this post.
Old 05-08-2014 at 05:42 PM   #3
engzheng

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLyBilly View Post
They make exceptions if the course is above a 4 or not to grant credits when you get back through reinstatement.

Since your GPA is below a 3, you are not even allow to continue at the University let alone Engineering. When you do reinstatement, you go back to your original level and program. That is the definition of "reinstated". To go to another program would be another process.

My advice is this, take it if you want. Apply to another University and start fresh in Eng 1. Don't mentioned prior experience with McMaster, just blank it out completely. You were a high school student who took 2 years out of school. The University in question can't be sending request to check if you did or did not complete courses at other University. If you have a balance due, the University won't even give anyone a transcript until its cleared so just don't even pay if you can.

The long way back is really a long way back, especially if you choose not to do Eng Phys. Don't shift the blame to the way the course was organize or due to professors. Own up to your mistakes and don't project it to other venues to relief yourself of that.

Good luck bud.
Thank you for your advise, and I'll definitely take it into consideration. But I find your comment on my view about EngPhys somewhat unfair.

I've seen multiple clear violations of university regulations/policies during my one year in the program, and complaints were class wide. Myself and a few of other people from the same year even spoke face to face with the Associate Dean of EngPhys about the violations and our concerns. Although improvements were promised, nothing changed, as a lot of professors in EngPhys have tenures.

Now I absolutely agree that I had problems to myself in terms of organization and work ethics, and I'm 100% willing to do whatever is necessary to solve my own problems before I take a second chance or start over as you suggested. You might think you've seen a lot of bad things at Mac and people still manage to pull through with hard work and dedication, but EngPhys is something else. Like I said, I have nothing but respect for those who are able to pursue their dreams against all odds.

I fully appreciate you commenting and trying to help, but please don't take a step further and make me hate my life even more. I apologize if I'm being way too sensitive; it's been quite rough for me recently.

Best regards
Old 05-08-2014 at 06:09 PM   #4
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by engzheng View Post
Thank you for your advise, and I'll definitely take it into consideration. But I find your comment on my view about EngPhys somewhat unfair.

I've seen multiple clear violations of university regulations/policies during my one year in the program, and complaints were class wide. Myself and a few of other people from the same year even spoke face to face with the Associate Dean of EngPhys about the violations and our concerns. Although improvements were promised, nothing changed, as a lot of professors in EngPhys have tenures.

Now I absolutely agree that I had problems to myself in terms of organization and work ethics, and I'm 100% willing to do whatever is necessary to solve my own problems before I take a second chance or start over as you suggested. You might think you've seen a lot of bad things at Mac and people still manage to pull through with hard work and dedication, but EngPhys is something else. Like I said, I have nothing but respect for those who are able to pursue their dreams against all odds.

I fully appreciate you commenting and trying to help, but please don't take a step further and make me hate my life even more. I apologize if I'm being way too sensitive; it's been quite rough for me recently.

Best regards
Yes you are being too sensitive. Suck it up.

I still stand by my point that you shouldn't take the easy way out by trying to shift the blames to the faculty. Every single faculties at McMaster has problem. That is why I try at best as I can to tell future students to stay away from this University as a whole. If I could turn back the hands of time, I would have definitely not come here. Its like someone that had a car crashed due to driving and texting, all I can do now is to raise public awareness and not have people make the same mistakes that I did.

I'm not trying to make you hate your life, I'm not defending the faculty either. I'm just saying, you really can't blame them since this CA of below 3 probably was also due to horrific first year, you going to blame General Eng too? See what I am getting at?

Anyway, have a nap. Go for a jog tomorrow then review your options. Reinstatement back to a faculty that you don't like isn't a good option. No Universities will accept you either if you give them your McMaster's transcripts. Keep that in mind when making your decision.