MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Culture as an excuse for racism Rossclot General Discussion 14 03-06-2010 01:13 PM
Racism at MAC Energy44 General Discussion 25 12-06-2009 03:24 PM

Racism at Mac

Old 11-04-2009 at 03:40 PM   #181
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

It's also funny when people think I'm latino and try to talk to me in spanish.S
Old 11-04-2009 at 03:42 PM   #182
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post

Seriously?

Then again, someone thought I was Native/Inuit.
Old 11-04-2009 at 03:43 PM   #183
Fight0
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Seriously?

Then again, someone thought I was Native/Inuit.
Probably because you're pretty tall. I've been asked if I'm native too though.
Old 11-04-2009 at 03:55 PM   #184
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
: (

That would be like saying that it's inappropriate to use "Brunette" as a label. It's not a relative label, but it's not offensive either.
[/color][/color]
It may not be relative, granted, but is 'brunette' arbitrary?
Old 11-04-2009 at 04:18 PM   #185
missiu

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by collymolotov View Post
Personally, I think having racially-oriented student groups and clubs at Mac is inherently racist, because it groups people based on racial or cultural criteria instead of encouraging them to bridge cultural gaps with their fellow students.
If you think of the names of most of these clubs, they definitely do sound pretty racist-- [Insert Race] Student Association. But I think a lot of times it causes people to think that ALL cultural clubs are exclusive when a lot of them actually aren't. I would say the misconception probably comes from Clubsfest.

From personal experience, I'm 100% Chinese and I even felt uncomfortable when approaching certain Chinese student clubs, just because I don't look fully Chinese. I always get a weird look from the several Chinese students manning the table and they don't really seem all too willing to talk to me. :'(

I know that for my club, we were initially called "McMaster Japanese Club", but we changed it to "McMaster Japanese Connection" this year because we wanted to drive the point home that we were all about connecting people who were interested in Japanese culture. We get a lot of people asking "Do I have to be Japanese?", so we finally just made a sign saying "YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE JAPANESE! "-- We get a lot of crap from people, since they always go "You guys aren't even Japanese..." or "Do you even have any Japanese people?" (Mind you, they always say this in their own language too =="). It bugs me that people already have this mindset that you HAVE to be [Insert Race] to join the [Insert Race] Club. I see nothing wrong with having an interest in the culture and wanting to join the club.
Old 11-04-2009 at 05:37 PM   #186
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
my friend who is half Chinese always eavesdrops on people talking about whether or not she is Chinese in Cantonese at mac.
Old 11-04-2009 at 05:47 PM   #187
Fight0
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
my friend who is half Chinese always eavesdrops on people talking about whether or not she is Chinese in Cantonese at mac.
That's so awesome, I wish I could do that. I only know one word in Chinese.

But yeah it can be kinda annoying when the first thing people ask about you is your ethnic background.
Old 11-04-2009 at 06:08 PM   #188
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamanonymous View Post
That's how things are. One of the reasons why non-whites create their group is because they want to meet people who are like them. People who might share the same interests and values. I also think it is due to the fact that some might feel that they will more likely be accepted by the people in that group.

(Snip)

I disagree with you when you said that creating racially-oriented groups is racist because it groups people into racial/cultural criteria. I disagree because it would be much more racist to not allow racially-oriented groups because some people are just much more comfortable hanging out with people of their own race. All of the members of this groups voluntarily join the group. They are not forced into it. The only time that racially oriented groups would be racist is if it forces people to join the group.
The first point quoted is interesting. Well Caucasian is quite a broad term, what if there was a club such as the McMaster Association for British Culture? Would this be a politically correct group? I know, for one, as someone of a british ethnic extraction who is interested in his heritage and enjoys british culture, I would love if there was such a club.

The second point is valid, although that doesn't really make the case that there can't be groups for "white" ethnic groups. In fact it makes the opposite point.
Old 11-04-2009 at 06:14 PM   #189
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
What if there was a club such as the McMaster Association for British Culture? Would this be a politically correct group? I know, for one, as someone of a british ethnic extraction who is interested in his heritage and enjoys british culture, I would love if there was such a club.
I don't think there would be a problem in starting a club like this... it just needs at least 10 interested people.

It's certainly not racist... and don't consider "political correctness" which in my opinion is simply dumb. Did you know that the term "politically correct" is actually considered to be politically incorrect? *shoots self*
Old 11-04-2009 at 06:54 PM   #190
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I don't think there would be a problem in starting a club like this... it just needs at least 10 interested people.

It's certainly not racist... and don't consider "political correctness" which in my opinion is simply dumb. Did you know that the term "politically correct" is actually considered to be politically incorrect? *shoots self*
pwewpwewpwewpwew!

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Taunton likes this.
Old 11-04-2009 at 07:01 PM   #191
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
It may not be relative, granted, but is 'brunette' arbitrary?
In some cases it can be.

I don't see why it's an issue just because you're making a judgment. People evaluate things all the time, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's done in a negative manner.
Old 11-04-2009 at 09:56 PM   #192
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamanonymous View Post
The reason why it is racist if white people create their own group is due to racist history. Let's say things were different, instead of black slavery/oppression there was white slavery/oppression, it would be racist if black people created their own group due to the racist history.
The notion that slavery and oppression (among other racially motivated atrocities, genocide for example) has historically only ever be perpetrated by whites is a grossly incorrect notion and that's partly why whites can never group themselves together on ethnic grounds the way EVERY other ethnicity/race/culture can.

I personally don't see a need for myself to join a Caucasian XXX student club but I think its a tad ridiculous that every other group can start multiple groups like this without question but if a Caucasian Student Society of any sort were to ever start there would be out cry. What makes it racist, other than history because the reality is that's not a good enough reason, white people hundreds of years ago enslaved Africans therefore today, in 2009, Caucasian students who have never had anything to do with slavery cannot create a society to celebrate their own ethnic background b/c that would be somehow racist? Really, is that a legitimate argument?

It doesn't seem at all oppressive and unfair that others are allowed to group together and celebrate in their ethnic similarity in an inherently exclusive way but white people cannot or it would be deemed racist?

I personally don't see a need for any of the clubs based on ethnicity/race but that's just me. People obviously enjoy participating in them but from what I can tell the kind of activities these clubs participate in can be participated in by students of any race or ethnicity. Do you really need to do XYZ activity with only people whose ethnic label is the same as your own?

Last edited by sew12 : 11-04-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-04-2009 at 10:05 PM   #193
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
The notion that slavery and oppression (among other racially motivated atrocities, genocide for example) has historically only ever be perpetrated by whites is a grossly incorrect notion and that's partly why whites can never group themselves together on ethnic grounds the way EVERY other ethnicity/race/culture can.
Case in point: several of the First Nations people from the west coast.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-04-2009 at 10:45 PM   #194
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
In some cases it can be.
To a very slight degree, perhaps (occaisonally). Unlike a term like 'Asian', which is arbitrary more often than it isn't (in Canada, that is). I think we're talking about two different things here. You seem to be on the concept of a social perception of a term rather than the term itself.

Quote:
This is exactly what I'm talking about. What is the 'white' race/culture/ethnicity? What ethnic grounds do whites share with other whites, other than the colour of their skin (hardly any 'ethnic grounds')?

You're quite right, however - slavery is rather unjustly dumped on whites. Slavery existed in every society in some form or another, and was practiced in an institutionalised manner around the world - in China, India, the Arab world - not just Europe and North America.

Last edited by Mahratta : 11-04-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-04-2009 at 10:55 PM   #195
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:

I personally don't see a need for myself to join a Caucasian XXX student club but I think its a tad ridiculous that every other group can start multiple groups like this without question but if a Caucasian Student Society of any sort were to ever start there would be out cry.

I personally don't see a need for any of the clubs based on ethnicity/race but that's just me. People obviously enjoy participating in them but from what I can tell the kind of activities these clubs participate in can be participated in by students of any race or ethnicity. Do you really need to do XYZ activity with only people whose ethnic label is the same as your own?
For myself, the main reason for these ethnic clubs the way I see it, is to connect with others that are the same. These clubs help those, esp. immigrants to feel more comfortable with their change.
Since Canada is predominately white, is there really a need for other caucasians to join a club to connect with others the same? As far as I know from the club list, there's a Canadian club, and a Hungarian club. Both tend to be majority wise white no? True, the background may be different, but it's the same. Just for an example, a lot of jewish people hang out with other jewish people etc.

For the ethnic clubs, they're mostly specific backgrounds. Chinese, Bangladeshi, African Caribbean etc. Not just a blacks club, or yellows club, or a browns club.

Last edited by TTHX : 11-04-2009 at 10:58 PM.

daisy likes this.