MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Culture as an excuse for racism Rossclot General Discussion 14 03-06-2010 01:13 PM
Racism at MAC Energy44 General Discussion 25 12-06-2009 03:24 PM

Racism at Mac

Old 10-30-2009 at 04:09 PM   #16
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post
racism is everywhere and as long as people are people, it'll never go away
I think it can be largely dispelled among educated people through information, though!

lorend says thanks to micadjems for this post.

lorend likes this.
Old 10-30-2009 at 04:14 PM   #17
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
Sometimes too much diversity isn't good. Maybe at your predominatly white school there were 5 people who weren't white, so white students never noticed them.

Do not follow.
Old 10-30-2009 at 04:29 PM   #18
lux

Liked: 318 Times

wow, some people are unbelievably ignorant. We are all humans, and we are all capable of achieving equality. I know at my high school, there was a club called Bridges that was dedicated to 'bridging' the gap in racial differences, perhaps mac would benifit from something like this.
As a final note: "cherish the things that treat you with respect, ignore those that don't" In time....
Old 10-30-2009 at 05:06 PM   #19
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

Bridges is a good idea, but I would think it very unlikely that a racist person would join/participate in such a group because the group stands for the opposite what they believe in.
Old 10-30-2009 at 05:38 PM   #20
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

My housemate tried applying to be the VP of McMaster Chinese Students Association or something.

He suspects that he didn't get it because he isn't Chinese.

Afzal, Equinox, Marlowe, xo.monica like this.
Old 10-30-2009
FireDragoonX
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-30-2009 at 07:09 PM   #21
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
My housemate tried applying to be the VP of McMaster Chinese Students Association or something.

damn! racism in the Mac CSA!!! :p

well...i don't care either way. even if people insult an ethnic group in front of me i don't care, as long as they don't say anything specifically targeted at one person, it's just a generalisation that doesn't exists in reality. so just let them live with that, and you live with your knowledge

Better yet, get a chinese person to befriend them
Old 10-30-2009 at 08:26 PM   #22
hollie012

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post

Well, really depends if he was in the association or something. If he was just a random person who walked by and wanted to apply, it doesn't happen that way. And they're not racist, it just depends on if they contributed enough over the years they've been in the organization. Being a VP is a lot of work, and if you haven't shown that you're competent, obviously you won't get the vote.

Biee likes this.
Old 10-30-2009 at 08:28 PM   #23
hollie012

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamanonymous View Post
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to hear your stories or opinions about racism in Mac. I myself have heard a lot of racist remarks here at Mac. In high school I went to a predominantly white school and never heard a single racist remark.

So how come here at Mac, which is diverse as it can be, I hear a lot of racist remarks?

Any thoughts?

One example of my experience was during an anthropology class in which we were watching the SARS thing and this guy seated at the row behind me said that he hates Chinese people and the blond female friend of him agreed and said that she also hates Chinese people.

Is it a jealousy thing? I mean, in all honesty, a lot of non-whites are smart.
People have their own beliefs, some of them are racist and there's nothing we can do about it.

At least you haven't had profs that are racist. Heard there's one in the Commerce faculty (won't bring the name out), and so I have chosen another prof instead. lol
Old 10-30-2009 at 08:43 PM   #24
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollie012 View Post
At least you haven't had profs that are racist. Heard there's one in the Commerce faculty (won't bring the name out), and so I have chosen another prof instead. lol
Really? That's kind of lame to say the least.

I'd be curious to know who it is personally. If you don't mind, send me a PM, since you don't want to post the name in the thread. If you don't want to, that's okay too.
Old 10-30-2009 at 08:45 PM   #25
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

There's a racist prof in Commerce? I'd kind of like to know too.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-30-2009 at 08:48 PM   #26
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
There's a racist prof in Commerce? I'd kind of like to know too.
Based on the poster's comments, I have it narrowed down to like 3 Profs.
Old 10-30-2009 at 09:18 PM   #27
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Lots of people are ignorant, including the thread starter judging by his last sentence.

People aren't racist because they're jealous that "non-whites" as so smart, lots of white people are smart too and your comments smacks of the same kind of bs as the racist comment you mentioned.

People are racist because they're they're ignorant, among other things like being sheltered.

The racist commentary you heard was totally out of line but your comment about jealous and implications that white people (at McMaster or otherwise) aren't as smart as non-whites is just as bad.

Old 10-30-2009 at 10:02 PM   #28
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollie012 View Post
Well, really depends if he was in the association or something. If he was just a random person who walked by and wanted to apply, it doesn't happen that way. And they're not racist, it just depends on if they contributed enough over the years they've been in the organization. Being a VP is a lot of work, and if you haven't shown that you're competent, obviously you won't get the vote.
Upon further clarification, he wasn't applying for VP. He was applying to be a rep.
(I'm actually not kidding, btw)

Old 10-30-2009 at 10:06 PM   #29
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

This thread reminds me of a girl in a first year lab who accused the T.A. of racism because she didn't do well in a lab.

Mowicz likes this.