MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Talking to the Dean of a Department? crazybobman Academics 1 08-14-2011 07:14 PM
talking in lecture - what do you say? jackiemac Academics 30 09-21-2010 06:46 PM
rant but not really manap3000 Volunteering Opportunities 33 08-24-2010 07:44 PM
Library Etiquette: Rant creen General Discussion 53 12-12-2009 11:27 AM
Rant. lawleypop General Discussion 28 10-20-2009 05:45 PM

Rant about students talking

Old 10-26-2011 at 12:09 PM   #46
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

ATTENTION ALL STUDENTS IN CHEM 2OA3.

WHEN THE PROFESSOR BEGINS SPEAKING, YOU SHOULD SHUT UP.

Just some friendly advice.

justinsftw, MichaelScarn like this.
Old 10-26-2011 at 01:05 PM   #47
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentrikkk View Post
Most of what's said in lecture can be found in the textbook or online for clarification.
That's really not the case for every class. Some profs don't post anything online, some profs don't even have required textbooks.
Old 10-26-2011 at 03:03 PM   #48
person33

Liked: 53 Times

this whole thing is not about whether or not it is possible to concentrate on a lecture while going on facebook or texting because im sure you can do it and still do well in school. its about having courtesy for both the profs and other students and being quiet during a lecture because however much you can concentrate, somehow i find it really difficult to beleieve that you can concentrate and learn from a lecture while taking to your friend about what you did on the weekend. also how would you feel if you worked hard on a presentation all week or weekend (which a lot of profs do) and then you stand up and notice that everybody you are trying to present to was on face book or playing video games, what if it was your boss at work who was texting while you were presenting a proposal or idea?

AnimeGamer31 says thanks to person33 for this post.
Old 10-26-2011 at 06:15 PM   #49
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Old 10-26-2011 at 07:09 PM   #50
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

This rant is getting really annoying. I should start a rant about ranting about students talking!

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

AnimeGamer31, Salik like this.
Old 10-26-2011 at 09:13 PM   #51
Salik

Liked: 32 Times

I also want to add how annoying it is when people itch in class, like please dont do anything personal in class like checking mirrors/cutting your nails/itching/farting/throwing up. Thanks, it makes me want to even talk louder in class to block out those distractions also.
Old 10-26-2011 at 09:43 PM   #52
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

soome chick in my lecture was wearing a shirt that showed the top half of her back. she was sitting in the middle of the lecture hall in bsb 147. she started picking a pimple on her back and this lasted like 30 seconds and everyone watched as she picked her pimple off from her back.

Old 10-26-2011 at 09:55 PM   #53
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
In that case maybe they need stronger meds, there's no way in hell the fact someone may have a disability that interferes with their learning will stop 300+ people from doing what they want in lecture. Everyone pays tuition and whether you take your studies seriously or not is your own perogative! Most of what's said in lecture can be found in the textbook or online for clarification.
That is an incredibly ignorant statement.
Who are you to tell someone that they should take any type of medication, or up a dose that they are already taking?
It's like if someone in a wheelchair wants to take a bus and people are sitting in the wheelchair seats...those people have to move. You can argue all you want about how "fair" that is, but the point is equitable access.
Yes, everyone pays tuition, including those with disabilities, so everyone should get the same opportunity to take advantage of it, and not have it ruined by other stupid people.
Seriously, you talking about your weekend in no way helps you learn course material--it's not costing you anything to stop talking. It's not like shutting up during lecture puts you at a disadvantage, so what is the problem with it?

Eternal Fire, Snowman like this.
Old 10-26-2011 at 11:54 PM   #54
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

It amazes me that people say "oh I pay X amount of money, I should be allowed to do whatever I want"

Try to have this conversation with a professor and see what he thinks.

TheCrucible likes this.
Old 10-26-2011 at 11:57 PM  
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 10-27-2011 at 12:04 AM   #55
melodicdream

Liked: 10 Times

Im not sure about everyone else but in commerce we have a lot of classes where its not worth going to class because it's just a complete waste of time. The prof just stands up there and reads off the slide while you could be using that time more wisely by teaching yourself through the textbook and doing practice questions. I really find it frustrating and annoying when I paid $600 per course to be taught by professors but they end up just wasting my time.

This is why sometimes I'll open my laptop or do other work while in class. Or Ill just skip the class completely.

I don't think just because I paid, I should be allowed to do whatever or talk loudly in class but since I am paying for the prof's salary, I expect them to teach me well. Not waste my time.

AnimeGamer31 likes this.
Old 10-27-2011 at 12:23 AM   #56
eccentrikkk

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
That is an incredibly ignorant statement.
Who are you to tell someone that they should take any type of medication, or up a dose that they are already taking?
It's like if someone in a wheelchair wants to take a bus and people are sitting in the wheelchair seats...those people have to move. You can argue all you want about how "fair" that is, but the point is equitable access.
Yes, everyone pays tuition, including those with disabilities, so everyone should get the same opportunity to take advantage of it, and not have it ruined by other stupid people.
Seriously, you talking about your weekend in no way helps you learn course material--it's not costing you anything to stop talking. It's not like shutting up during lecture puts you at a disadvantage, so what is the problem with it?

Life is all not equal for everyone. If it wasn't for inequalities we would live a pretty boring world. If lectures are "distracting" speaking up about it instead of ranting online would solve the problem. I take pride in my ability to not give a s*&# and speak my mind. It seems to work, but things like having over 300+ people who agree with how you feel and them all shutting up and keeping quiet in lecture for one person is highly unlikely.

Here's some awesome tips on how to solve this simple problem:

1) sit in the front of the class so you can "hear" the prof
2) tell people who are annoying you to shut up
3) tell the prof to get people to shut up

IF TIPS 1-3 FAIL:

4) seek medical attention for your inability to focus/compulsion with background noises
5) take any required meds a physician gives you to fix a problem that clearly has not been solved by tips 1, 2, and 3 or consider dropping out of school if none of the above tips can help.

Say what you must, but ranting online is not a tip that will successfully solve any problem. We live in a country that gives us rights and part of those rights involve doing what you want within reason. The whole "well a student with a disability has equal rights" is true, however believe it or not they are at a greater disadvantage no matter what can be done to help overcome this and we live in a dog-eat-dog world where the majority of people fend for themselves and do as they please.

AnimeGamer31, julianface like this.
Old 10-27-2011 at 12:39 AM   #57
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Life is all not equal for everyone. If it wasn't for inequalities we would live a pretty boring world. If lectures are "distracting" speaking up about it instead of ranting online would solve the problem. I take pride in my ability to not give a s*&# and speak my mind. It seems to work, but things like having over 300+ people who agree with how you feel and them all shutting up and keeping quiet in lecture for one person is highly unlikely.

Here's some awesome tips on how to solve this simple problem:

1) sit in the front of the class so you can "hear" the prof
2) tell people who are annoying you to shut up
3) tell the prof to get people to shut up

IF TIPS 1-3 FAIL:

4) seek medical attention for your inability to focus/compulsion with background noises
5) take any required meds a physician gives you to fix a problem that clearly has not been solved by tips 1, 2, and 3 or consider dropping out of school if none of the above tips can help.

Say what you must, but ranting online is not a tip that will successfully solve any problem. We live in a country that gives us rights and part of those rights involve doing what you want within reason. The whole "well a student with a disability has equal rights" is true, however believe it or not they are at a greater disadvantage no matter what can be done to help overcome this and we live in a dog-eat-dog world where the majority of people fend for themselves and do as they please.
Once again your ignorance astounds me. I hope you find yourself in a situation where you are at a similar disadvantage at some point in your life, because it seems that's the only way you'll actually understand.

Also, medication is not a cure-all. The side-effects alone are enough to ruin a person's ability to function. In fact, some medications make you MORE sensitive to "background noises"...so NOT the best option. If a person is that much of an @sshole that discussing your weekend in class is absolutely essential and anyone who has a problem with it can go take unnecessary medications that seriously hinder their quality of life, then that's a serious problem.

Eternal Fire says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 10-27-2011 at 03:01 AM   #58
eccentrikkk

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Once again your ignorance astounds me. I hope you find yourself in a situation where you are at a similar disadvantage at some point in your life, because it seems that's the only way you'll actually understand.

Also, medication is not a cure-all. The side-effects alone are enough to ruin a person's ability to function. In fact, some medications make you MORE sensitive to "background noises"...so NOT the best option. If a person is that much of an @sshole that discussing your weekend in class is absolutely essential and anyone who has a problem with it can go take unnecessary medications that seriously hinder their quality of life, then that's a serious problem.
In the bubble of life you seem to live in, you keep reverting back to my ignorance as if I'm specifically bashing people who have some sort of a disability. I in fact pity their disadvantage, however not much can be done to change anything. And devices such as hearing aids, wheel chairs, and medications EXIST solely to aid with such a disadvantage. Sure meds have side effects, every med does even penicillin for christ sake. Thank you captain obvious for trying to further bash my opinion as if it bares less merit than your own.

I'd also like to know where you get off with thinking your own opinion is the only one that may be correct? As you keep misconstruing every comment I make. You do realize that you keep taking this personal, in which case I assume you are offended by my comments or perhaps suffer from OCD. In either case, my deepest sympathies go out to you.
Old 10-27-2011 at 07:58 AM   #59
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
In the bubble of life you seem to live in, you keep reverting back to my ignorance as if I'm specifically bashing people who have some sort of a disability. I in fact pity their disadvantage, however not much can be done to change anything. And devices such as hearing aids, wheel chairs, and medications EXIST solely to aid with such a disadvantage. Sure meds have side effects, every med does even penicillin for christ sake. Thank you captain obvious for trying to further bash my opinion as if it bares less merit than your own.

I'd also like to know where you get off with thinking your own opinion is the only one that may be correct? As you keep misconstruing every comment I make. You do realize that you keep taking this personal, in which case I assume you are offended by my comments or perhaps suffer from OCD. In either case, my deepest sympathies go out to you.
I don't need to have OCD to be offended--it's called empathy. And yes, I am offended by the notion that anyone with any sort of disability should medicate themselves due to people being extremely disrespectful in class, and I'm also offended that you pity people with disabilities. Pity is useless.
Also, as an example, many deaf people refuse the use of hearing aids, cochlear implants, etc, because they enjoy their lives the way they are, and feel that any of these devices will actually do more harm than good. Someone who can read lips doesn't require a hearing aid or related device to get by, they just need people to look directly at them when speaking. Someone with OCD or ADHD or anything that makes them have trouble concentrating doesn't necessarily need medication, they just need people to refrain from unreasonable noises and distractions.

Anyways, I made my opinion clear (I hope). There's not really anything else to say.

Eternal Fire says thanks to nerual for this post.