MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Phishers are getting lazy Kendoon General Discussion 13 11-16-2010 08:59 PM
Recycling Bins Pay919 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 1 09-13-2010 02:19 PM
1BR 2 people apart kyrios91 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 1 05-16-2010 08:33 PM
Profs blast lazy first year students Lois General Discussion 1 04-11-2009 06:59 PM
recycling bins... davey General Discussion 15 12-11-2008 11:29 PM

Recycling - Are people just lazy, or actually retarded?

Old 11-14-2010 at 11:33 AM   #1
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Recycling - Are people just lazy, or actually retarded?
I'm seriously beginning to wonder whether the general populace of students can even comprehend the concept of recycling. I have yet to live with a person off-campus that has any clue as to what goes where and what is recycling.

Every Sunday I have to go sort through all the trash and recycling in my house because people don't know where things are supposed to go. No matter how much I tell them, "guys, they won't take a garbage bag full of ****ing aluminium/tin cans", they still do it. I've tried the ignore it approach, but then we just have a pile of garbage building up (and of course, rinsing out a can is too much trouble, so it smells like no other).

Every year I always seem to have at least one housemate that thinks a can (beverage or soup) is trash, one that thinks green bin = garbage can and one that thinks garbage, recycling and green bin are all the exact same thing.

The thing that really ticks me off is people that throw a huge box or plastic container into the recycling/garbage without any effort put into breaking it down. I don't understand how the thought cannot go through people's heads that "Oh, maybe other people (or even me!) may have to put something in here later! Maybe I should break this down or employ the rules of tetris to minimize used space!"

Seriously,

LEARN TO CUT UP ****ING CARDBOARD BOXES EVERYONE

Man, people are so retarded. It amazes me so many can get into university. How the hell do houses deal with this where there isn't anyone who gives a shit? The garbage people I find do not hesitate to put the "You've got wrong stuff!" sticker on trash/recycling and not take it.

/rant

Also, inb4 trolls

temptingf8 likes this.
Old 11-14-2010
Souldier
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 11-14-2010
Ownaginatios
Old 11-14-2010
Rakim
Old 11-14-2010 at 11:55 AM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Uhgg... why do I even bother posting on this site anymore...
Old 11-14-2010
Rakim
Old 11-14-2010 at 11:59 AM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

My mom is pretty **** about recycling and putting things in the garbage/recycling/green bin. I understand your frustration though.. its not that hard to follow basic rules
Old 11-14-2010 at 12:04 PM   #4
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Uhgg... why do I even bother posting on this site anymore...
That's what you get for introducing 4chan's nonsense to the site. Other forumers not knowing when to stop

Old 11-14-2010 at 12:04 PM   #5
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Have you tried being a bit more assertive?
ie: having a house meeting or something (don't just use facebook messaging) and actually discussing it and being firm about it?

And/or putting up signs with arrows as to which bin is which (paper vs plastic) and what can go into it?
(this would reinforce the first suggestion of having a house meeting)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-14-2010 at 12:52 PM   #6
doug

Liked: 82 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Have you tried being a bit more assertive?
ie: having a house meeting or something
That solved the problem in my house.

2 dollar fine if you do it wrong. XD

xo.monica likes this.
Old 11-14-2010 at 01:51 PM   #7
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Lmao, this would piss me off, tooo. O_O
I live at home, though, and my parents recycle properly so I don't have to deal with shit like this.

Old 11-14-2010 at 02:21 PM   #8
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

recycling is pretty good at my house, and we have garbarge/recycling rotation so things get taken care of.

I understand your frustration though, we had to have a house meeting because people wouldn't keep the trash can in the shed and we kept having rotting garbage spread all over our backyard by raccoons
Old 11-14-2010 at 02:46 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I've found that a lot of people actually only care about things when it affects them directly. Otherwise, they're completely apathetic.

I've been pretty good with housemates in terms of recycling for the most part, but I notice on campus that people throw out cans ALL THE BLOODY TIME even though there are recycling bins literally within a foot of the garbage. DRIVES ME INSANE.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

shes-a-diva* likes this.
Old 11-14-2010 at 02:51 PM   #10
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

I think a lot of people are just lazy. Talk to your landlord? Or be like me and find a place on your own next year. I can't effing wait.

Also, the way I do it is put my garbage in the kitchen and put my recycling things in the bins accordingly. I never have a problem with garbage anymore. D: I have taught the dudes I live with well. They can't possibly let garbage build up in the kitchen so therefore, they are forced to take out the garbage every week. Hurhurhur.
Old 11-14-2010 at 03:52 PM   #11
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

and do realize that if someone wants to throw out their tin can in the garbage they are well within their rights. Just talk to them get a house meeting etc...

Also do realize alot of things that you recycle btw never get recycled the sad truth....