MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reinstated, Question about OSAP? lifesciman1 Academics 1 08-17-2012 07:15 PM
Chance of being reinstated? john113267 Academics 1 03-15-2011 12:07 PM
McMast Hospital Bomb Scare lsmith General Discussion 15 10-02-2010 10:10 PM
Reinstated! - Question about credits Reno V Academics 3 08-01-2010 07:30 AM
Scare-wear Halloween Workshop Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-18-2007 09:27 AM

Reinstated and scare to go to welcome week

Old 08-31-2012 at 09:12 PM   #1
Unregistered

Reinstated and scare to go to welcome week
I'm so ashame that I failed my first year and was kicked out for a year. This year however I got reinstated but now I am scare to participate in the welcome week events. I know I should since having a good social life at Mac is important to academic success. But what if people ask and found out I got kicked out? Are they going to kick me out too (social group)?

Nervous wrecked!
Old 08-31-2012 at 09:13 PM   #2
Unregistered

Oh and what if I meet my old classmates? They are so going to spot me out and laugh right if I am in first year event?What if they end up being my TA now?
Old 08-31-2012 at 09:14 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Who gives a crap. Lie if you want. People are pretty understanding.
Old 08-31-2012 at 09:19 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Ultimately, it's your choice whether or not to participate in Welcome Week, but most people won't know whether or not you got kicked out unless you tell them. If they do find out, so what? Generally people who get reinstated have a pretty good reason for their past poor performance, and are not dumb. You get a fresh start, you should take advantage of it in every way possible, including making friends. Although, assuming you made friends last year, you may or may not feel the need to expand your social circle.

The chances of a second year student TAing a first year course are slim, since very few courses allow second year students to TA (Kin 1Y03/1A03 and 1YY3/1AA3 come to mind, but I can't really think of others).

And really, who cares what they think if they see you in a first year event? Chances are they won't point and laugh...
Old 08-31-2012 at 09:31 PM   #5
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

I think you are over-thinking it.

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 08-31-2012 at 09:31 PM   #6
Unregistered

Actually, they will be going to 3rd year. So does that mean they are 3rd year student? As such they can TA 1st year classes right? Or do you count the years as in completed years? So they are in 2nd year because they only completed 2nd year?

Yea I'm trying to craft a backstory right now to covered my history to make the lie more convincing.
Old 08-31-2012 at 09:53 PM   #7
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Actually, they will be going to 3rd year. So does that mean they are 3rd year student? As such they can TA 1st year classes right? Or do you count the years as in completed years? So they are in 2nd year because they only completed 2nd year?

Yea I'm trying to craft a backstory right now to covered my history to make the lie more convincing.
Don't worry so much. They are considered 3rd years and they may TA some courses. However, at that point in university, people are mostly mature and understanding of other people's circumstances. If you tell them that you had personal issues, I doubt anyone would probe a lot further or look down upon you. You've been given this fresh chance. Take the worry out of your mind and make the most out of university - academically and socially. I wish you best of luck
Old 08-31-2012 at 09:56 PM   #8
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

reinstatement is less of a shocking thing than people give it credit for, to be honest. while it may not be common, it's more common than we all let on. if that makes sense.
Old 09-01-2012 at 01:49 AM   #9
user9753
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 13 Times

I wouldn't kick you out. Everyone goes through a rough patch in their life. Some people take longer than others to adjust to university, and there are sometimes psychological barriers that prevent a person from doing the best they can do. In my opinion everyone should be understanding of that. You proved your determination to come back to mac by getting reinstated, and now you owe success to yourself so it's time for you to do your best.

DO NOT start your school year with a lack of confidence, you will only hurt yourself and your academic performance. Start as if you're starting fresh. If for example anyone asks why you're not in third year, or how your marks were in first year, I would say answer by saying that you took a year off and you didn't like how you did in first year, respectively. Both answers are truthful.
Old 09-01-2012 at 01:53 AM   #10
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Plenty of upper years take first year classes. Most TA's are grad students. It is statistically impossible for you to have the same undergrad TA across all of your tutorials who also knows you from the time you were originally in first year.

Go to Welcome Week. Enjoy your second chance and celebrate your hard work up until this point. After WW is done, just go back to working intensely hard and taking care of yourself to ensure that the grades you have after this point are ones you're proud of and you can look forward to a great first year instead of remembering back to a less than ideal one the first time around.

Second chances and 'restarts' don't come around often.
Congratulations and best of luck.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-01-2012 at 07:44 AM   #11
Rincewind

Liked: 1 Time

Winston Churchill failed school miserably all throughout his young life, moving from school to school, until his father, finally fed up with him, forced him into an army career. He failed the military exams three times before finally getting in, and then finally graduated 20th in a class of 130. You can read the rest of his story yourself if you want, but the point is that there are very successful people who experienced immense failure during childhood into early adulthood and still went on to live very productive, fulfilling lives. Just be glad you've been given another shot at it, and accept the fact that you will likely experience ups and downs again, but that you shouldn't let that get in the way of accomplishing what you want.

As for the people (TAs, etc.) you're worried about: They're likely so absorbed in their own lives, they probably wouldn't give it a second thought if they saw you. Lying about it is ok I suppose, but if you have to spin a web of lies in the form of a "backstory" you're probably better off just telling the truth so you can sleep at night. Trust me, personal experience, etc.

Best wishes. You'll be fine.

Scarecrow says thanks to Rincewind for this post.

Scarecrow likes this.
Old 09-01-2012 at 08:03 AM   #12
kaitotst

Liked: 33 Times

Keep Calm and Carry On

Old 09-07-2012 at 02:13 PM   #13
Chel

Liked: 1 Time

I wouldn't worry about it. At least you have another chance!
Old 09-07-2012 at 03:25 PM   #14
Scarecrow
Dr. Crane

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
Winston Churchill failed school miserably all throughout his young life, moving from school to school, until his father, finally fed up with him, forced him into an army career. He failed the military exams three times before finally getting in, and then finally graduated 20th in a class of 130. You can read the rest of his story yourself if you want, but the point is that there are very successful people who experienced immense failure during childhood into early adulthood and still went on to live very productive, fulfilling lives. Just be glad you've been given another shot at it, and accept the fact that you will likely experience ups and downs again, but that you shouldn't let that get in the way of accomplishing what you want.

As for the people (TAs, etc.) you're worried about: They're likely so absorbed in their own lives, they probably wouldn't give it a second thought if they saw you. Lying about it is ok I suppose, but if you have to spin a web of lies in the form of a "backstory" you're probably better off just telling the truth so you can sleep at night. Trust me, personal experience, etc.

Best wishes. You'll be fine.
This post combined with your username made me chuckle and even gave me hope that some of my own minor shortcomings mean nothing in the end, as long as I haul ass. Cheers!
Old 09-07-2012 at 03:38 PM   #15
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Honestly, the fact that you're willing to give it another shot and keep at it is commendable, not shameful.