MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are my chances of getting into Life Science? Need2knowme Introduce Yourself 8 06-16-2011 04:13 PM
Med School Acceptance Chances arathbon Academics 14 05-15-2011 06:30 PM
What are the chances I can get into Psych 1X03 before classes start? oranges First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-08-2010 01:07 PM
Course Selection chances julianface First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 06-02-2010 05:00 PM
What Are My Chances Of Getting In??? mattgood9 Academics 1 03-24-2010 07:06 PM

Reinstatement Chances

Old 06-14-2011 at 09:04 PM   #1
CompSci

Liked: 0 Times

Reinstatement Chances
I was in comp sci I at mac in the faculty of engineering. I was admitted to mac in the 2009-2010 session. I got very sick first semester and failed all of my courses. I dropped all of my second semester courses without academic penalty.
This past year I came back to back to mac in hopes of preforming with excellence, i was unfortunately severely injured in the start of december and in turn failed all my courses again. I was forced to drop my second semester due to my injury. So my overall GPA is pretty much a 0. I got a 1 in micro. 1st year first semester.

Due to my poor performance I was told to apply for reinstatement. I applied in the first week of june. I wrote a detailed letter about what i went through, what I did wrong (apart from my injury), what i learnt, and what i did to improve my self , i also provided information of my high school years (academically). I attached official documentation, along with a reference letter from my high school computer science teacher.

I was wondering what my chances were of being reinstated (realistically)?
I was also wondering how much does my GPA matter even though I was severely injured?

I really need to get back into mac its the only concern in my life right now and I am 100% sure I will preform with excellence if reinstated, I am very determined.

Any feedback or responses to my questions would be of much help and greatly appreciated.
Thank You.
Old 06-14-2011 at 09:18 PM   #2
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

If you have a really good reason for doing poorly, have proof (some sort of documentation, doctor's letter, etc., which you have) and a thorough well-written appeal explaining everything, I'd say your chances are pretty darned good.

I'm not sure how many people they let in per faculty or how it is done, but I'm guessing if it was you vs. someone who had lost a family member or something super duper extreme like that, they'd probably pick that person over you. Once again, not sure if they have rules about how many people can be reinstated into each faculty, I can't find it on the site.

As for GPA, not too sure if they look at that, but because you dropped your second term (without even being able to attempt it), they can't look at your average and say that you had two terms to try and failed both, which is usually the case for other students.

I know someone who applied for reinstatement and got in due to having to care for a very sick roommate for a term. The person also claimed that he was in the wrong program and that it wasn't for him, and applied for reinstatement but for a different program than he was originally in. They gave him a chance (allowed him to take a couple summer school courses), saw that he did relatively well in required courses for the other program, and was let back in.

Good luck!

CompSci says thanks to xo.monica for this post.
Old 06-14-2011 at 09:39 PM   #3
CompSci

Liked: 0 Times

Wikid Yea my letter was through and very detailed. Thanks I feel a lot better