MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Students for Health Innovation Speaker Series: Pediatric Mental Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-21-2011 11:39 AM
Is it possible to be accepted after being initially rejected? JayT First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 04-23-2010 12:09 PM
Russia Today Rejected Ads Mr. Pink Computers & Tech 11 02-05-2010 01:23 PM
It Doesn't Hurt to Try But it Hurts to be Rejected! ferreinm Misc 5 09-15-2008 02:10 PM

rejected from health sci

Old 05-06-2011 at 06:40 PM   #1
tacobits

Liked: 0 Times

rejected from health sci
as the title mentioned, I just got rejected to health sci...
guess im going to accept mac's life sci now

still, i feel like such a loser atm
anyone want to make me feel better by stating the pros of going into life sci?
as in, personal experiences?
Old 05-06-2011 at 06:43 PM   #2
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobits View Post
as the title mentioned, I just got rejected to health sci...
guess im going to accept mac's life sci now

still, i feel like such a loser atm
anyone want to make me feel better by stating the pros of going into life sci?
as in, personal experiences?
Seriously go somewhere else, no one here should have to justify your choice. Also use the search feature.

lux likes this.
Old 05-06-2011 at 06:43 PM   #3
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

I don't have personal experience to share with you but the requirement for health science is really high, 90%+ to be considered, wow. Good luck in life though, and I hope you choose McMaster like myself for your future university. ;D
Old 05-06-2011 at 06:45 PM   #4
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

fyi, getting rejected from health sci is not the end of your world.. you don't need to feel like a loser...
life sci program is much much more useful and valuable than health sci program.. the health sci program, though prestigious, is nothing but a big joke and a very easy ticket to med school.. health scis are pampered like there is no tomorrow and you should be happy you are going into life sci, a worthwhile program.

Old 05-06-2011 at 06:47 PM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclover View Post
fyi, getting rejected from health sci is not the end of your world.. you don't need to feel like a loser...
life sci program is much much more useful and valuable than health sci program.. the health sci program, though prestigious, is nothing but a big joke and a very easy ticket to med school.. health scis are pampered like there is no tomorrow and you should be happy you are going into life sci, a worthwhile program.
It probably is an easy ticket into med school because you have to work your but off to get accepted and on top of that you complete the program.
Old 05-06-2011 at 06:54 PM   #6
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
It probably is an easy ticket into med school because you have to work your but off to get accepted and on top of that you complete the program.
According to the health sci's that I know, the first day of school they essentially say that you got lucky. It's a huge lottery system with many qualified candidates and many people who would be great for the program are rejected based on numbers alone.

Old 05-06-2011 at 06:56 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

alot of friends i know wiht really high marks (ex. 99 avg) got rejected. u prob messed up ur essay questions or ur extra currics werent well written
Old 05-06-2011 at 06:59 PM   #8
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

Quote:
haha its sad you are correct because that is the only time they work hard. once they are accepted health sci, they are essentially given free marks and free time to make their way through med school
Old 05-06-2011 at 07:08 PM   #9
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

I was rejected today too. I know it feels really crappy but really it is purely a numbers game. I am positive that more than 160 applicants out of 3000 are qualified for the program but they can only admit so many. I got into life sci too and you know we are really lucky to be in for that program. I have seen quite a few freakouts because of a lack to acceptance to life sci. Maybe it is better we are in life sci anyway, people in other programs will respect us more. We will also have more flexibility and chances. Think about it, could you do anything with just a health sci degree? You actually HAVE to do professional school after or you are screwed. I would look at is as they are missing out on your unique perspective.

Old 05-06-2011 at 07:10 PM   #10
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnerd View Post
I was rejected today too. I know it feels really crappy but really it is purely a numbers game. I am positive that more than 160 applicants out of 3000 are qualified for the program but they can only admit so many. I got into life sci too and you know we are really lucky to be in for that program. I have seen quite a few freakouts because of a lack to acceptance to life sci. Maybe it is better we are in life sci anyway, people in other programs will respect us more. We will also have more flexibility and chances. Think about it, could you do anything with just a health sci degree? You actually HAVE to do professional school after or you are screwed. I would look at is as they are missing out on your unique perspective.
Good for you for looking at it from a different perspective. That is great to see. You will not be disappointed with McMaster Lifesci. Good luck!

MirandaC says thanks to Biochem47 for this post.

lakhim, mike4, moonlitnight like this.
Old 05-06-2011 at 07:10 PM   #11
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois View Post
According to the health sci's that I know, the first day of school they essentially say that you got lucky. It's a huge lottery system with many qualified candidates and many people who would be great for the program are rejected based on numbers alone.
According to the average they require to be considered and the extra things you have to write like people mentioned, it does truly boil down to luck and playing your cards right.
Old 05-06-2011 at 07:17 PM   #12
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
According to the average they require to be considered and the extra things you have to write like people mentioned, it does truly boil down to luck and playing your cards right.
Health sci is the only program that can make you feel like a loser even if you have an over 90 average and so many extracurriculars that you basically run the school. SO MANY COUNCILS. O_O

anon491, arathbon like this.
Old 05-06-2011 at 07:18 PM   #13
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnerd View Post
Health sci is the only program that can make you feel like a loser even if you have an over 90 average and so many extracurriculars that you basically run the school. SO MANY COUNCILS. O_O
Don't quite understand that, but sure.
Old 05-06-2011 at 07:46 PM   #14
TheCrucible

Liked: 52 Times

Yeah, it pretty much is a lottery. It's a shame, really, because there are people who got in and ended up not contributing at all to our group projects. And when I think of some of my friends who had stellar averages and were involved in a billion extracurriculars and somehow didn't get in, it makes me angry that the spots they could have gotten had been given to a few unmotivated individuals.

Anyway, don't think of Life Sci as a backup option - like any other program at Mac, it stands on its own. And the good thing about it is that come second year, you have so many specialization options that you're bound to easily find something that suits you.

Last edited by TheCrucible : 05-06-2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: grammar

Little likes this.
Old 05-06-2011 at 07:56 PM   #15
cypher

Liked: 7 Times

I heard it was a lottery too from my friend in health sci as well.
So don't feel bad lol. No one from my high school that applied got in, and they had some pretty solid grades and extracurriculars.