MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Students for Health Innovation Speaker Series: Pediatric Mental Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-21-2011 11:39 AM
Is it possible to be accepted after being initially rejected? JayT First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 04-23-2010 12:09 PM
Russia Today Rejected Ads Mr. Pink Computers & Tech 11 02-05-2010 01:23 PM
It Doesn't Hurt to Try But it Hurts to be Rejected! ferreinm Misc 5 09-15-2008 02:10 PM

rejected from health sci

Old 05-06-2011 at 07:56 PM   #16
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Don't feel bad, life sciences is something to be proud about even tho your parents might not agree.

L'Étoile says thanks to jeboi7 for this post.

anon491, L'Étoile, macsci like this.
Old 05-06-2011 at 07:59 PM   #17
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
alot of friends i know wiht really high marks (ex. 99 avg) got rejected. u prob messed up ur essay questions or ur extra currics werent well written
99 avg? is that even possible?

edit: Btw, i got into health sci but i ended up going to life sci instead because i hate working in groups. now im going into 3rd year, and I do not regret my choice.
Old 05-06-2011 at 08:03 PM   #18
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Yeah, really don't feel bad. A lot of getting in is luck. Don't take it as something personal. I know a lot of people who didn't get in and ended up being waay happier with their next choice. Your university experience really will be what you make of it, and with all the awesome options in life sci, there's a lot you can do with it + Mac is just awesome no matter what faculty you're in

Old 05-06-2011 at 08:08 PM   #19
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

My first-year roommate is in Engineering now, and she originally applied to Health Sciences. She had a 98% average, was the student council president of our high school, volunteered at 3 hospitals from grades 9 through 12, and I can't think of something she wasn't involved with in high school. I have friends who did way less, had worse grades (though still good, of course), and made it in. I've heard that getting into it is mostly luck. If you're looking at medical school and thought that Health Science would be your best bet to getting there, keep in mind that you don't need a Health Science degree for that.

Life Science is a great program. Congratulations on getting into that, because as others have said, it's a tough one to get into as well.

Last edited by alh24 : 05-06-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Joyceyblank likes this.
Old 05-06-2011 at 08:14 PM   #20
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
Yeah, really don't feel bad. A lot of getting in is luck. Don't take it as something personal. I know a lot of people who didn't get in and ended up being waay happier with their next choice. Your university experience really will be what you make of it, and with all the awesome options in life sci, there's a lot you can do with it + Mac is just awesome no matter what faculty you're in
thanks for making them feel better , but inside of you , your like "yessss bitchesssssss"

alh24, L'Étoile, particle like this.
Old 05-06-2011 at 08:17 PM   #21
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reda View Post
thanks for making them feel better , but inside of you , your like "yessss bitchesssssss"
Haha Reda
Old 05-06-2011 at 08:21 PM   #22
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Actually, this might be the best thing that ever happened to you
Being in Health Sci Program means that you will be mostly hated by everyone else in uni, will ONLY have a chance at mcmaster med school and not the others, since you will be missing some prequiste courses etc

Yes, you might feel bad now, but everything happens for a reason. Trust me don't worry.

I hope you enjoy life sciences.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Old 05-06-2011 at 08:24 PM   #23
Chandlerowns

Liked: 67 Times

Yeah, in health science your only option after graduating is McMaster Med School. If you don't get in they throw you into the streets of downtown Hamilton. If anyone was wondering why there are so many homeless people downtown.

Old 05-06-2011 at 08:35 PM   #24
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Why would Health Sci. students be hated by everyone? :/
Old 05-06-2011 at 08:36 PM   #25
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
You will eventually find out I am not gonna spoil it for you.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

particle likes this.
Old 05-06-2011 at 08:37 PM   #26
crazyfree
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reda View Post
Nah lol
I'm heading into 3rd year, but I can still remember how it felt waiting for a reply.
I know how happy friends of mine are that didn't get in, so I can assure you it's not the end of the world
Also just thought I would confirm the lottery remarks.

Old 05-06-2011 at 08:38 PM   #27
crazyfree
Elite Member

Quote:
Still trying to understand that myself :(

Can I ask you a random question-did you by any chance apply to Waterloo Compsci/if you did have you heard from them?

Old 05-06-2011 at 08:43 PM   #28
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Still trying to understand that myself :(

Can I ask you a random question-did you by any chance apply to Waterloo Compsci/if you did have you heard from them?
I applied to Waterloo for Comp.Sci, and I haven't heard back from them yet.

@ L'Étoile

mmkay ;o
Old 05-06-2011 at 08:51 PM   #29
crazyfree
Elite Member

Quote:
I applied to Waterloo for Comp.Sci, and I haven't heard back from them yet.
okay thanks. Sorry I know that was super random, but my bro is waiting to hear if he gets in and I think I'm more anxious about it than when I was waiting for my own acceptances ahahaha

(sorry OP for the tangent)
:O Maybe that's why healthscis are hated

Old 05-06-2011 at 08:53 PM   #30
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
okay thanks. Sorry I know that was super random, but my bro is waiting to hear if he gets in and I think I'm more anxious about it than when I was waiting for my own acceptances ahahaha

(sorry OP for the tangent)
:O Maybe that's why healthscis are hated
No problem, but the average that McMaster sees for Comp. Sci is different than the one for Waterloo. At Mac, Advanced Functions is recommended so it isn't part of the top 6 if you have 6 other marks higher than your Advanced Functions mark. I did horrible in that only getting 72% and because of that Waterloo sees my top 6 average as 81% and McMaster sees it as 82%. I don't expect to get into Waterloo so it really depends on your brother's average [obviously]. Good luck to him though!

crazyfree says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.