MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course at Another University Banshee Academics 1 07-10-2010 12:04 PM
Relationships: Pro/Cons tungo89 Dating & Relationships 13 10-16-2009 11:01 PM
How is University? adam1993 General Discussion 42 03-11-2009 05:56 PM
Sad Truth About Relationships marauderlove General Discussion 2 03-24-2008 10:51 AM

Relationships in a University

Old 09-08-2010 at 02:16 PM   #1
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

Relationships in a University
Do people even have time to maintain relationships when they go to university? You know, with all their classes and the homework and essays and everything else. It kinda makes me think whether or not I should really be looking for a girlfriend.

Though on a similar note, I don't think it'd be very easy for a person like me to date, let alone have a relationship, as I have social anxiety. I mean, it's not as bad as it used to be (I don't freak out or faint or whatever), so at this point, I am only socially awkward.

So what are your thoughts about this?
Old 09-08-2010 at 02:24 PM   #2
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

People do have time to maintain relationships but its up to you to find the time. If you believe that the person is worth making time for, then you'll be fine.

On the other hand, if you feel socially awkward, it may be best to work on making friends first. I find that having a significant other gives you tunnel vision, especially when you have work to do too. You might find that you're less likely to go out and meet new people in your spare time. Besides making friends is a potential path to a relationship anyway.
Old 09-08-2010 at 02:37 PM   #3
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

A couple of my friends have girlfriends.

I'm in the same boat as you though. =/
Old 09-08-2010 at 02:40 PM   #4
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

@nila: Yeah, you're right. Thanks! But I am not really sure how to make friends (as stupid as that sounds).

@Jeff: Oh, I see. D: Well, hopefully things get better for us.
Old 09-08-2010 at 02:55 PM   #5
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

I'm not that great in social situations either but I have a bit of advice that helped me out. The best time to start getting to know people is right now. Go out to the events and talk to people. Just a "Hi, my name is _____" Will get you started. Follow up questions like "are you living in residence, which one?" and "whats your program?" will get the ball rolling. Its hard the first couple of times but it will get better. If you and this person get along, then thats great, if not then move on. There are tons of people to get to know.

The people you meet during frosh might end up being your good friends, or they might not. Its not a big deal. I actually made the majority of my friends in my classes. If they are in your program, then you're chances of seeing them again are much higher. If you see a person you remember in class, don't be afraid to go up and say hi. No one will think you're weird for doing that, a lot of people are in the same boat and are just waiting for a person to come along.

AdelaisAer says thanks to nila* for this post.

AdelaisAer likes this.
Old 09-08-2010 at 03:01 PM   #6
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Oh, I see. o-o; Well, I will try to do that, then. It's just that since I am socially awkward, I get really shy and it's often difficult for me to just approach people. D:
Old 09-08-2010 at 03:05 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Are you the guy I work with?

LOL

Tried the gf thing through summer, I don't know how that would work during a semster at university though, esp in engineering...
Old 09-08-2010 at 03:08 PM   #8
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
Are you the guy I work with?

LOL

Tried the gf thing through summer, I don't know how that would work during a semster at university though, esp in engineering...
Depends. Did I do a night shift with you in Alumni Field?

And yeah, that's what I thought. It would be difficult if your workload is high.
Old 09-08-2010 at 03:14 PM   #9
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

You really have to be secure and have a hand on yourself before you pursue and maintain a relationship in university. Because u know, sometimes ur not always going to be able to see one another and it can get hard sometimes..especially when the relationship is first starting out and its during first year.. ur trying to figure out the balance - how to study for everything and keep healthy while making time for friends and your gf. it can get really hard at times! but eventually you find that balance and it can be a really great thing . its nice having someone there to share these times with.. and I mean.. a lot of our parents met one another during university too!
Old 09-08-2010 at 03:16 PM   #10
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz.Morra13 View Post
You really have to be secure and have a hand on yourself before you pursue and maintain a relationship in university. Because u know, sometimes ur not always going to be able to see one another and it can get hard sometimes..especially when the relationship is first starting out and its during first year.. ur trying to figure out the balance - how to study for everything and keep healthy while making time for friends and your gf. it can get really hard at times! but eventually you find that balance and it can be a really great thing . its nice having someone there to share these times with.. and I mean.. a lot of our parents met one another during university too!
Very true. That's why I'll hope I can make many friends and hopefully things can develop slowly as the year progresses.
Old 09-08-2010 at 03:25 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaisAer View Post
Depends. Did I do a night shift with you in Alumni Field?

And yeah, that's what I thought. It would be difficult if your workload is high.
Ye.

Just find a girl as stressed and overloaded with school as you and you'll be fine?

Stick with trying to maintain friendships in Uni before you do the relation ship shit... especially with social anxiety or weirdness.
Old 09-08-2010 at 03:27 PM   #12
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
Ye.

Just find a girl as stressed and overloaded with school as you and you'll be fine?

Stick with trying to maintain friendships in Uni before you do the relation ship shit... especially with social anxiety or weirdness.
I don't think that'd be easy to do. o-o; I'd have to like, ask every girl I see.

And yeah, that's what I am trying to do, even though I know a few girls I wish I could date.
Old 09-08-2010 at 03:29 PM   #13
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

dont sprint before you can crawl
Old 09-08-2010 at 03:40 PM   #14
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
dont sprint before you can crawl
I can crawl and walk. However, it's running I am having a problem with, so I won't try to sprint.

**And yes, I know it's a metaphor, and I replied with one too**
Old 09-08-2010 at 03:43 PM   #15
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaisAer View Post
I can crawl and walk. However, it's running I am having a problem with, so I won't try to sprint.

**And yes, I know it's a metaphor, and I replied with one too**
Take off your steel toed boots dude!