MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course at Another University Banshee Academics 1 07-10-2010 12:04 PM
Relationships: Pro/Cons tungo89 Dating & Relationships 13 10-16-2009 11:01 PM
How is University? adam1993 General Discussion 42 03-11-2009 05:56 PM
Sad Truth About Relationships marauderlove General Discussion 2 03-24-2008 10:51 AM

Relationships in a University

Old 09-11-2010 at 11:04 AM   #46
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Then come out with me.

Haveeeeeeeee you met JEFF_CHAN?
now i wouldnt mind meeting you

and AdelaisAer i can understand how you think your socially akward because i had a few friends last year who was just like that but after the end of semester 2 they had tons of friends...i think they made more than me o.o but as someone said earlier there are like 20,000 studentz at mac and i think thats more than enough chances to try, because everyone else in first year and also upper year wants to just meet new people and make friends as well, as time goes on in such a big and crowded place your anxiety will decease dramatically so just for starters introduce yourself to people with ur name, program and year and then you will have many things to talk about with whoever it is. I no it can be a little bit stressful not knowing anyone at start but trust me pretty almost almost all first years feel the same way so just try talkin to them or us upper years as well As for having a girlfriend i also recommand making some friends at start and waiting a bit to see how the workload feel for you, and after a month at mac and you feel like you can maintain having a relationship with someone and still get a good grade then by all means go for it!!
Old 09-11-2010 at 01:16 PM   #47
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 258 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Confidence wont get you any girl you want, but it goes a long way... lowering standards only really makes a difference if you're one of those guys that seems to have his standards for girls based solely on what they see on TV
No, my standards for girls are ingrained in me, due to evolution. Attractiveness is universal, if you were to see a hot chick, most guys would agree that chick was hot, and the opposite for an ugly chick. (I realize there are some cultures where obese chicks are found hot, but that isn't North American culture) Yes, you will see guys dating ugly and/or fat chicks, and will claim that they find their girlfriends attractive, but really, they're ugly themselves and they've just convinced their brains that they find these ugly girls attractive and that hot girls are probably high maintenance and snobby so they're better off without them, as to reduce cognitive dissonance. Just look at most couples, 95% of the time, the two people are on about equal levels of attractiveness.
Old 09-11-2010 at 01:54 PM   #48
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

My Advice?

Smile
It makes people want to come talk to you. Put it together with everything else people are saying and your set.

Old 09-11-2010 at 02:59 PM   #49
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I recently read a study that said only 35% of girls have the guts to ask a guy out, but only 1% get rejected. So according to the study, girls have a pretty good chance of the guy saying yes. CRAP. They are so lying.
Old 09-11-2010 at 03:07 PM   #50
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

By the way, I'm not saying that girls SHOULDN'T as guys out. If you're up for it, by all means, put it out there. I'm just saying that guys are just as awkward/nervous asking girls out as girls are asking guys. Let me say, I've asked someone out before and he said no. Rejection SUCKS. But now I know how other people have felt when I've said no to them. But, of course, you have to be really careful about who you ask. Some people say that they'd rather be friends with someone before you date. The downside to that is that maybe you become really good friends with this person, and then don't want to ruin the friendship. OR you do ask this person out, and your friendship gets awkward. Or even ends. That happened to me once. Its not worth it. Have you heard the saying "forget the risk, take the fall. If its meant to be, its worth it all?" Also crap. I don't mean to be pessimistic here, becasue I'm not. There is a special person out there for everyone and its just a matter of time before you meet him/her. It can be better to ask out someone whom you don't know well, becasue if you do get rejected, then you're probably not going to see him/her again anyways. So no worries. But sometimes you do have to put it up there. AND THAT'S ENOUGH OF CONTRADICTING MYSELF FOR ONE DAY. lol

lorend, Richa, xxsumz like this.
Old 09-11-2010 at 03:17 PM   #51
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
By the way, I'm not saying that girls SHOULDN'T as guys out. If you're up for it, by all means, put it out there. I'm just saying that guys are just as awkward/nervous asking girls out as girls are asking guys. Let me say, I've asked someone out before and he said no. Rejection SUCKS. But now I know how other people have felt when I've said no to them. But, of course, you have to be really careful about who you ask. Some people say that they'd rather be friends with someone before you date. The downside to that is that maybe you become really good friends with this person, and then don't want to ruin the friendship. OR you do ask this person out, and your friendship gets awkward. Or even ends. That happened to me once. Its not worth it. Have you heard the saying "forget the risk, take the fall. If its meant to be, its worth it all?" Also crap. I don't mean to be pessimistic here, becasue I'm not. There is a special person out there for everyone and its just a matter of time before you meet him/her. It can be better to ask out someone whom you don't know well, becasue if you do get rejected, then you're probably not going to see him/her again anyways. So no worries. But sometimes you do have to put it up there. AND THAT'S ENOUGH OF CONTRADICTING MYSELF FOR ONE DAY. lol
Nice essay you got there. See you put a lot of thought into it.

MIpolice says thanks to xxsumz for this post.

MIpolice likes this.
Old 09-11-2010 at 03:18 PM   #52
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
No, my standards for girls are ingrained in me, due to evolution. Attractiveness is universal, if you were to see a hot chick, most guys would agree that chick was hot, and the opposite for an ugly chick. (I realize there are some cultures where obese chicks are found hot, but that isn't North American culture) Yes, you will see guys dating ugly and/or fat chicks, and will claim that they find their girlfriends attractive, but really, they're ugly themselves and they've just convinced their brains that they find these ugly girls attractive and that hot girls are probably high maintenance and snobby so they're better off without them, as to reduce cognitive dissonance. Just look at most couples, 95% of the time, the two people are on about equal levels of attractiveness.
I disagree. I have been attracted to guys of all different physicalities. You have to look at the INSIDE. No, not all "attractive" (ie skinny, blonde etc.) girls are snotty and high-maintenance. But they're not all nice, either. Same gies for "unattractive" girls. They can be high-maintenance, too. But why do sterotypes like that always revolve around girls? What about guys? That's just like saying that all men who work out and are hot are bad-asses. And softer, less good-looking men are kinder.

I think both cases are a stereotype. And as far as "hot" girls go, is a double standard.

lorend, xxsumz like this.
Old 09-11-2010 at 03:51 PM   #53
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
Nice essay you got there. See you put a lot of thought into it.
I have been through A LOT this past seummer in that respect. And not just me, but with my friends as well. It was a rant. It was good to get it out of my system.
Old 09-11-2010 at 03:54 PM   #54
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 258 Times

Quote:
I recently read a study that said only 35% of girls have the guts to ask a guy out, but only 1% get rejected. So according to the study, girls have a pretty good chance of the guy saying yes. CRAP. They are so lying.
No, they're not lying, the reason you got rejected was probably because you were punching above your weight, if you ask someone out who is on the same level of attractiveness as you, you would probably not get rejected. I'd imagine the fact that you got rejected hurt your self esteem, you probably proceeded to rationalize that the guy that rejected you was a douchebag and you're better off without him, in order to cope with the rejection. It was also a learning experience for you, from now on, you will probably never ask a guy out as good looking as the one that rejected you, because you know it would be pointless and you fear rejection, and you will only ask out guys who are on the same level as you.
Old 09-11-2010 at 03:59 PM   #55
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: You grades will definitely be better without a gf/bf, but is having another GPA or so worth it? You decide.
Old 09-11-2010 at 04:44 PM   #56
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
No, they're not lying, the reason you got rejected was probably because you were punching above your weight, if you ask someone out who is on the same level of attractiveness as you, you would probably not get rejected. I'd imagine the fact that you got rejected hurt your self esteem, you probably proceeded to rationalize that the guy that rejected you was a douchebag and you're better off without him, in order to cope with the rejection. It was also a learning experience for you, from now on, you will probably never ask a guy out as good looking as the one that rejected you, because you know it would be pointless and you fear rejection, and you will only ask out guys who are on the same level as you.

AelyaS likes this.
Old 09-11-2010 at 04:49 PM   #57
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Quote:
Old 09-11-2010 at 04:49 PM   #58
Jellybeanz

Liked: 23 Times

Lol, claaaaaaassic Souldier.
Old 09-11-2010 at 07:45 PM   #59
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Wow, Souldier. Actually, the only thing that hurt my self esteem was that comment you just made about me. So thanks a lot for that. What do you mean by "punching above my weight?" And no, I definitely don't consider that guy a douchebag. He's a really good guy and I messed up a really good thing. I wish I could take it back. But then on the same page, if I hadn't asked then I never would have known. And how do you know if he was good-looking or not? Nice job making assumptions. You would be lying, Souldier, if you said that YOU don't fear rejection. Everyone does.
Old 09-11-2010 at 07:48 PM   #60
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Wow, Souldier. Actually, the only thing that hurt my self esteem was that comment you just made about me. So thanks a lot for that. What do you mean by "punching above my weight?" And no, I definitely don't consider that guy a douchebag. He's a really good guy and I messed up a really good thing. I wish I could take it back. But then on the same page, if I hadn't asked then I never would have known. And how do you know if he was good-looking or not? Nice job making assumptions. You would be lying, Souldier, if you said that YOU don't fear rejection. Everyone does.
You're generally not supposed to reply to A-Holes online, it just gives them more fuel; it's like paying attention to a 3 year-old throwing a temper tantrum